Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Stay tuned for exciting updates to our programme

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

October MPC Newsletter:

Soon we’ll be introducing better rewards for our members, including more club points on certain routes. We look forward to sharing more news before the end of this year.

Let the speculation begin!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Going to guess more points on full fare J and F to the US.. But of course less points for everything else...
​​
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
I hope PEY E fare gets more points than full Y fare, not just W and R.
dmatthew and blum81 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by tfung
Going to guess more points on full fare J and F to the US.. But of course less points for everything else...
​​
Sounds about right! Throw some useless breadcrumbs at the people whose companies pay for full fares, and the rest of us who pay out of our own pockets will suffer cutbacks... Let's hope not!
tfung, Hottub Cowboy and feh like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:59 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If they are saying “certain routes” I wonder if they earning table is going to become unnecessarily complex with many footnotes and exceptions, rather than blanket increases within the mileage brackets.
feh likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:10 am

That sounds like some damage limitation on the fallout from their changes to the programme last year - not exactly exciting by most people's definitions.
Cathay's marketing team seems to focus on very small promotional ideas - an Agnes B cake voucher, a bottle of beer "specially brewed for in the air" but only available on the ground with its lounge voucher, business class fanfares which are still more expensive than equal competitors, but far more limited. That is not necessarily a bad thing - if they got the product and pricing right, they could perhaps do away with most marketing gimmicks altogether. But I have come to expect that any of their "exciting" marketing innovations will turn out to underwhelm.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
think they will cut back partner points where CX flys.. sort of what QF does... so for exampme HKG Europe via qatar or BA or Finair gets half of what CX gets... and.i guess they "enhance" by giving more for full fare.brackets.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Sounds about right! Throw some useless breadcrumbs at the people whose companies pay for full fares, and the rest of us who pay out of our own pockets will suffer cutbacks... Let's hope not!
Why not? Give more points to people whose tickets generate more revenue. The corporate employers decide who gets the points and other benefits, not CX.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Originally Posted by fakecd
think they will cut back partner points where CX flys.. sort of what QF does... so for exampme HKG Europe via qatar or BA or Finair gets half of what CX gets... and.i guess they "enhance" by giving more for full fare.brackets.
But even for that, the HKG-DOH or where to DOH leg will still get normal points unless CX completely changes the accrual table
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Am I the only one that thinks the current scheme is fair enough? Must be Stockholm syndrome..

Our lounges are already crowded enough...

(I have flights largely booked to 1200...and mostly planned out for the next 1600 too)
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Am I the only one that thinks the current scheme is fair enough? Must be Stockholm syndrome..

Our lounges are already crowded enough...

(I have flights largely booked to 1200...and mostly planned out for the next 1600 too)
I also believe the current scheme is fair but the only thing that kills me is Cathay's refusal to open up I-fare on most of their HKG regional routes. It's sickening to be able to add a sector through HKG for only a fraction of the cost then to buy a straight up ticket in and out of HKG.

With all the regional C class trips I'm flying if Cathay would just open up their I-fare to all people I can easily make DM. But instead, Cathay's ridiculous pricing scheme forced me to spend tons of revenue on their competitors, and now they think another "enhance" can bring people back? Ha!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Reading it I feel that we will have more points on certain routes, certain classes, but it would not give less points on anything. The English version uses "including," which could be interpreted as certain routes, certain classes will earn less points. The Chinese version does not give that room, in my opinion. Hope that in any case, certain people (or everyone) will earn more points and no one will earn less. I used to be able to maintain GO every year but now GO seems so far away.

會籍計劃即將更新 密切期待
我們即將為會員獻上更優越的積分計算方案,讓您搭乘指定航線可享更多會籍積分。期望在年底前與您分享相關詳 情。

Last edited by ernestnywang; Oct 10, 2017 at 8:08 pm Reason: The Chinese version does NOT give that room
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
The problem is not just points system, the new "revenue-based" system exposed Cathay's biggest weakness in competition - pricing.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
The problem is not just points system, the new "revenue-based" system exposed Cathay's biggest weakness in competition - pricing.
Yup - same CP for a purchased I ($6k usually in my case) and student discounted ticket ($3k).

I really don't like this segment focused revenue based system
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Reading it I feel that we will have more points on certain routes, certain classes, but it would not give less points on anything. The English version uses "including," which could be interpreted as certain routes, certain classes will earn less points. The Chinese version does give that room, in my opinion. Hope that in any case, certain people (or everyone) will earn more points and no one will earn less. I used to be able to maintain GO every year but now GO seems so far away.
Remember in Hong Kong, "In the event of any inconsistency between the English version and the translated version of this notice, the English version shall prevail."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.