Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Stay tuned for exciting updates to our programme

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stay tuned for exciting updates to our programme

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Too much travel
The beauty of the BAEC system is the 2000 mile threshold. If your travel pattern includes plenty of these flights or if you don't mind one-stop flights that have 2000+ mile legs then it is actually easy to rack up points quickly. It doesn't need to be in F either. HKG-CGK is 280 points return in business. TPE-KUL-BOM/DEL gets an impressive 560 points return in business. If you're doing monthly work trips to the above then that's already getting you over 10,000 points a year.
I believe there are several ppl on BA forum possible 10K a year. However, let's face it, 35000 TP in 2.5 years actually needs 16667 TP (a lot more than 10K) a year. Even with 560 TP per round trip, that's 2.5 round trip a month.
While I understand how it works, and doable... just not likely to happen at the same time with multi-million on CX plus he flew on SQ flights, which OP claimed. Hence, I was asking if he was flying everyday.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
I believe there are several ppl on BA forum possible 10K a year. However, let's face it, 35000 TP in 2.5 years actually needs 16667 TP (a lot more than 10K) a year. Even with 560 TP per round trip, that's 2.5 round trip a month.
While I understand how it works, and doable... just not likely to happen at the same time with multi-million on CX plus he flew on SQ flights, which OP claimed. Hence, I was asking if he was flying everyday.
Try this, focus all your energy on BAEC tier points by flying oneworld carriers including QF codeshare on Emirates (lucky bonus - enjoy whilst it last) and put your SQ PPS Solitaire membership on hold by using the PPS Value for which I have accumulated SGD 100,000 to last me 4 years whilst at the same time use Membership Holiday at CX Marco Polo Club.

This way, if you travel once a week for work and fly airlines such as Malaysia Airlines to India and Japan, that's a whopping 360 tier points per flight and multiple that by 3 times per month along with some European trips via the Middle East which earns 560 tier points along with some personal travel here and there to maximise the mileage run, I've made it is doable and hence the aim is to achieve BAEC Lifetime Gold within 2.5 years from start to end.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
There are around 500 BA members earning 5000 TPs per year. The number earning 16,000 will likely be close to single digits. It's possible to do it just extremely rare, and if true @380Flyer will be one of the most frequent flyers the airline has.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:43 am

When they say "certain routes", I hope they might offer more benefits for routes like HKG-KIX/HND/NRT which are in intense competition. Passengers on those routes are price sensitive and switched to LCCs or HX, meanwhile JL and NH are providing better products(IMO) with slightly higher price, and Japanese passengers are loyal to JL/NH. CX is in an awkward position and I think they might do something with this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by fish0105
When they say "certain routes", I hope they might offer more benefits for routes like HKG-KIX/HND/NRT which are in intense competition. Passengers on those routes are price sensitive and switched to LCCs or HX, meanwhile JL and NH are providing better products(IMO) with slightly higher price, and Japanese passengers are loyal to JL/NH. CX is in an awkward position and I think they might do something with this.
ironically, I have a different experience but may be a different customer.

CX and JAL offer nearly identical pricing on the morning flights I prefer, although if one is more expensive it's CX, not JAL. And the morning CX flight to HND, earliest of the day seems to be preferred by business folks - underlined by the fact that I've taken CX548 this year 3x, and have run into associates, competitors or other industry folks on each flight. In fact, I've known multiple people on 2/3 flights!

Ticket prices are outrageous. Economy for overnights can run $750 USD, and $3k USD or more for business class. But admittedly, I haven't been driven away because I like to get to HND as soon as possible to fit in at least one meeting in the afternoon and ideally a dinner, meaning I only have to spend one night, max two in Tokyo before returning. Then, take the JAL or CX morning flight from HND back to HKG and can do meetings and work that afternoon back in HKG as well.

I'd be in favor of more points...the amount of money is outrageous, IMO. But I definitely see these as my most expensive regional flights, not least! However, I often go for one night, always on weekdays, and want the morning departures. Aka tick the box for "get ripped off" in each category. No chance on earth I'm taking a redeye on such a short flight, but nor am I going midday ex-HKG because I lose the entire day in transit. I occasionally fly evening ex-Tokyo after meetings. I would only do midday or a less-convenient timing ex-HKG on a weekend or holiday so I didn't waste a business day.

I suspect this is the type of market where there are two very different customer types. Leisure travelers, given how much HK and regional folks love to visit Japan (as well as increasing #s of Japanese tourists outbound), who are price sensitive and willing to go on the LLCs. And then there are business travelers, and the crew going to Tokyo is probably the least price-sensitive in the region, IMO. Higher business-type fares than to anywhere business heavy, including SIN, PVG and PEK. The latter two are downright "cheap" in comparison...you can fly round-trip in KA F to/from PEK for about $2k USD. A businessman on the business timings can't do that in J class to HND.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:38 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by QRC3288

I'd be in favor of more points...the amount of money is outrageous, IMO. But I definitely see these as my most expensive regional flights, not least!
Meanwhile QF awards 80 status credits in J on this route. CX? ....30 club points.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Meanwhile QF awards 80 status credits in J on this route. CX? ....30 club points.
wait, are you referring to round-trip or one-way? I've gotten I think 50 or 60 CP round trip on CX for my flight. I think 50 is cheap J and 60 is expensive J.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:20 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
wait, are you referring to round-trip or one-way? I've gotten I think 50 or 60 CP round trip on CX for my flight. I think 50 is cheap J and 60 is expensive J.
One-way. And you're right - CX awards 25 club points for cheap J one-way - so my comparison is even worse. 80 QF status credits vs 25 CX club points. And renewal targets are the same.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by sxc
One-way. And you're right - CX awards 25 club points for cheap J one-way - so my comparison is even worse. 80 QF status credits vs 25 CX club points. And renewal targets are the same.
oh my! ONE WAY?!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
oh my! ONE WAY?!
get creative fly hkg-tpe-nrt and one wat business earns 100 SC on I class to qantas.
sloth likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
A new month coming... Anyone have any idea on the original subject? Or CX really want to hold till Christmas?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
I don't think we have come up with enough good ideas yet ... my guess is CX is using this page to see what ideas we come up with.

... but I don't think they'll give us anything we really want.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Here's one: admit failure, go back to the old MPC with minor tweaks (lifetime, incentives beyond 120K).

surely numbers' gotta top 'keeping face' ..
sloth likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
I heard that the announcement is coming out this Friday...
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:11 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by 1010101
There are around 500 BA members earning 5000 TPs per year. The number earning 16,000 will likely be close to single digits. It's possible to do it just extremely rare, and if true @380Flyer will be one of the most frequent flyers the airline has.
One of the most frequent flyers BA has who doesn't even fly BA that much. I hope CX would address this kind of loopholes if it were to rollout a so called lifetime program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.