Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX New strategy rollout in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Lots of very well said points on this thread. Given the amount of thoughtfulness in these posts, I'm 100% certain CX has a management problem and an even bigger problem if insights like these go blind and wasted. It's particularly pathetic they're making public excuses for a lack of vision and execution while short changing their customers. It's undoubtedly turned into an us vs passengers mentality.

The current situation is similar to Smisek days at United with the changes he thought people would like. The best change that happened to UA flyers was when he was booted out the door.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by KACommuter
The issue is they have diluted profitability as the HK market for high paying passengers is saturated. After all how many more investment bankers are there in HK by now? So their capacity expansion is very much catering to transit passengers, which are inherently less profitable.

Additionally the combination of inflated ex-HKG pricing and the new MPC status system actively encourages shopping for cheaper one stop J flights versus buying PEY and upgrading. Why pay HK$28k + 30,000 miles for a non-stop CX HKG/LHR J seat and get 110 TP's when QR costs HK$25k and gets 200 TP's?
I am not sure how many Investment banker staying in Hong Kong now but even BA are trying hard to save cost now.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Platinum, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Follow up article on cost cuts coming...

Didn't see this posted locally but interesting comments here from Air China boss (2nd largest shareholder). I didn't see service cuts mentioned but those are always low hanging fruit for the accountants... the problem is CX needs to SPEND to bring their service back up to the top standards...

http://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2017/04/02/cathay-pacific-targets-hk$4bil-in-cuts-over-three-years/
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by hkflyer2014
Didn't see this posted locally but interesting comments here from Air China boss (2nd largest shareholder). I didn't see service cuts mentioned but those are always low hanging fruit for the accountants... the problem is CX needs to SPEND to bring their service back up to the top standards...

http://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2017/04/02/cathay-pacific-targets-hk$4bil-in-cuts-over-three-years/
That article was published in SCMP on 31 march:
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...er-three-years

I understand that CX has started firing a large number of people at the high management HQ level and will soon fire more at the low management HQ level.
What escapes me is why it took Ivan Chu so long to react. Why for the past few years cost-cutting has only affected pax and not staff?
Until now, Chu has granted generous pay raises to staff, rather than understanding that the critical situation required drastic measures.
It seems that he is doing it under pressure from the board; and Air China has been quite vocal about it. CX is holding 20% of Air China and their profit allowed CX to reduce its losses. But CA must be very unhappy that its 30% stake in CX yields a loss.
In most public companies, a CEO lacking foresight would be fired.

Last edited by brunos; May 17, 2017 at 5:05 am Reason: typo CI CA
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
Originally Posted by brunos

I understand that CX has started firing a large number of people at the high management HQ level and will soon fire more at the low management HQ level.
What escapes me is why it took Ivan Chu so long to react. Why for the past few years cost-cutting has only affected pax and not staff?
Until now, Chu has granted generous pay raises to staff, rather than understanding that the critical situation required drastic measures.
It seems that he is doing it under pressure from the board; and Air China has been quite vocal about it. CX is holding 20% of Air China and their profit allowed CX to reduce its losses. But CI must be very unhappy that its 30% stake in CX yields a loss.
Indeed. This sums it up for me. I've switched a lot of business to JL, SQ and NH over the last 12 months but had a CX experience from SIN to TPE via HKG in the last few days. As usual, crew were great but planes - even LH on two legs were very tired with bits hanging off and wine and food were ok to be honest in the current reality of J class regional.... Its as if the management just totally drifted for the last few years and did nothing and totally lost pride in the airline which was seriously one of the best in the old days. And Chu must take responsibility for this. I'm guessing but probably he was surrounded by many yes people whether through design or chance, he felt there was no problem....or thought no need to make a change as the profits were still there for a while....which is a CEO/leader lacking in foresight.

Last edited by jackrussellterrier; Apr 3, 2017 at 7:27 am Reason: update
Old May 6, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Cathay Pacific launches leadership shake-up ahead of staff cuts and major restructure

Cathay Pacific launches leadership shake-up ahead of staff cuts and major restructure
Middle management at the embattled carrier will be interviewed for redeployment, while other positions will be cut completely
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...ip-shake-ahead
Old May 15, 2017, 1:30 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

Might not just be high management says Apple Daily http://hkm.appledaily.com/detail.php...tegory=instant
Old May 15, 2017, 4:08 am

What ivan chu says is management cost reduction and the layoff will not include front line staff like crew and pilot only.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:25 am

It seems that he is doing it under pressure from the board; and Air China has been quite vocal about it. CX is holding 20% of Air China and their profit allowed CX to reduce its losses. But CI must be very unhappy that its 30% stake in CX yields a loss.
Air China is CA which based on PEK, China Airlines is CI which based on TPE
Old May 17, 2017, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by CX30616
Air China is CA which based on PEK, China Airlines is CI which based on TPE
Apologies for the typo. I guess the text made it obvious.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:32 am

GM cuts today http://hkm.appledaily.com/detail.php...issue=20170519

A- and B- grade cuts in June
Old May 19, 2017, 3:52 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Opinion piece calling on Cathay to stop resisting becoming/adding a LCC to its portfolio:

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/art...cathay-pacific
Old May 19, 2017, 4:23 am

CX is already a LCC charging premium fares for schedule. Same strategy as BA. Not news and even economically rational in my way of thinking.

Last edited by percysmith; May 19, 2017 at 4:32 am
Old May 19, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by sxc
Opinion piece calling on Cathay to stop resisting becoming/adding a LCC to its portfolio:

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/art...cathay-pacific
I think the strongest move would be to further its interest/pursuit of an LCC whilst focusing on returning the CX mainline service to a premium experience top to bottom. CX simply will not win nor even be able to compete with the Asian LCCs as it currently operates. The market currently values price over everything else (unfortunate) and Cathay's regional product is far too lackluster to entice customers to pay the premium they currently command. Will be interesting to see what direction they follow under RH. There's been lots of dialogue (whether credible or not) about reinvesting into the premium customer but those developments are likely to be focused on the long haul network where things are actually going well, the regional market is where Cathay needs to adapt the most.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
CX is already a LCC charging premium fares for schedule. Same strategy as BA. Not news and even economically rational in my way of thinking.
Do not think LCC will provide movenpick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.