Wiki Posts
Search

CX New strategy rollout in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by djsflynn
And there I was, absolutely certain that CX was being taken over by Air China, would leave Oneworld to join Star Alliance and appoint martial arts legend Jackie Chan as the new CEO. Because I read it on the Internet somewhere...
I didn't need need to wait for the press release to know that guy from MEL making wild speculation was a crackpot
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Love how the Chinese carriers with their disregard of any good management rule and their unlimited government support are put on the same level as the mideastern carriers, that at least have some commercial sense.
Etihad "rapidly catching up"...yes, up to the point they are begging one of the two European monopolist to take care of their failed acquisitions.
Sure it may be the fall of the old Asian airlines empires, but their replacement does not like exactly as strong as the past ones, no matter how the article says otherwise.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:57 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Insane... In Dec they said they would announce something major in Jan and in Jan they announce that there is nothing to announce... If it is TG, I would say it is normal, but I had higher expectations from CX...
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TPJ
Insane... In Dec they said they would announce something major in Jan and in Jan they announce that there is nothing to announce... If it is TG, I would say it is normal, but I had higher expectations from CX...
I prefer no news to bad news. But, I do agree that hyping up no news seems kind of silly.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
FT Article: Cathay Pacific: go pilot fish Premium

Cathay Pacific: go pilot fish

https://www.ft.com/content/5c1b259e-...c-be108f1c1dce

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Hong Kong airline has been slow to respond to competition on price and standards

Robert Louis Stevenson said that to travel hopefully was better than to arrive. Shareholders in Cathay Pacific may not agree. The Hong Kong airline’s shares are at a level usually associated with financial crises.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I must say I completely disagree with this article as standards have not dropped against the ME3. The vast majority of my flights on EK, EY and QR have been underwhelming.

Last edited by sxc; Jan 23, 2017 at 4:47 pm Reason: removed full article
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:36 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
A reminder that it is against FLyertalk rules to post full articles.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
What's with all the negative press lately? Nikkei also came out with one....Fallen Star of The Air?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
What's with all the negative press lately? Nikkei also came out with one....Fallen Star of The Air?
All these negative news doesn't make sense. CX management are smart and if things were really bad, then they would have grounded aircraft, cut routes and laid off staff very quickly.

Last edited by sxc; Jan 23, 2017 at 4:49 pm Reason: Remove personal attack
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by 380Flyer
All these negative news doesn't make sense. CX management are smart and if things were really bad, then they would have grounded aircraft, cut routes and laid off staff very quickly.
I think the article is spot on for a 200 word piece. Cathay lost a huge amount of money fuel hedging - evidence that management is not that smart.

QR business is a much better product at a much better price.

Cathay standards have slipped hugely over the past 10 years. I now rate AA over CX, this sentiment would have been laughable as recently as a couple of years ago.

From what I can see there is no plan to turn things around, just a slow drift towards lower standards.

Cathay do a few things right - their lounges are top notch and their safety record is great. However their onboard service has gone from world beating to just meh.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Jan 23, 2017 at 5:14 pm Reason: Quoted text edited.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:15 pm

Maybe someone wants to buy CX shares cheap...investing on bad press to cause investors to sell.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:44 am

Or maybe they are right. Cathay has drifted along the last few years, without a clear plan how to deal with LCC, the Mainland or ME3. Meanwhile airlines such as QF/ NZ/ DL have all successfully restructured & making very good money.

Sure, stockmarket isn't everything. But 10 years ago CX was >20 HK/ share, it is now <10.5. And that's despite massive investment & growth.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:57 am

I think all points raised were valid, but I'm just surprised that all these articles came out att he same time.

Then again everyone seems to be underwhelmed with the recent announcement.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:23 am

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they all hang out at the FCC together. It's not a huge stretch to think one journalist might get his/her mates writing similar stories.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
If you want to read it and don't have an FT subscription it's in Google's cache

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=uk
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Seems to be a fair article, not remotely ad hominem.

As for why so many CX articles now. Simple, they announced the results of their strategic review recently. Not unusual for the press to report on that, and to put CX in context of the industry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.