Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX New strategy rollout in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by 1010101
Oneworld rules dictate 'Priority Boarding' only. Nothing about boarding with F passengers.

It's only F check in and lounge access that is set out in the rules.
Originally Posted by jagmeets
May be wrong, but I think the rules are more like 'if your frequent flier gets a benefit, equivalent status fliers of other alliance programs get the same benefit'.
That's what I'm aware of as well, so as long as EXPs don't board before Emeralds, then the OW 'rules' are not in jeopardy.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by SilverChris
OW rules indicate that Emeralds should be entitled to board along with F pax.
Funny AA didn't get that memo.

Like it or not, there are some compromises you need to accept being a top-tier member of an airline which is in an alliance.
In this case either you're wrong, or AA has been getting away with this OW rule and nobody has done anything about it. Which means, like Pirates of Caribbeans would say, "they're really just guidelines"

If DMs are entitled to board before other OWEs, then it's ridiculous for other airlines to let CX Emeralds have F/group 1 priority boarding.
Which AA does not. 1/3 of my flights are with AA, and it's 95% ALWAYS been AA F first exclusively (with EXP). 5% of the time they do announce OWE with F and EXP can board first together, but 95% of the time it's always been F/EXP first, OWE after.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
That's what I'm aware of as well, so as long as EXPs don't board before Emeralds, then the OW 'rules' are not in jeopardy.
I am not surprise if OW has some rules but they will loosely enforce it as long as airlines don't get over the top with it. AA has always been their own F/EXP first, OWE second. Granted some cases I do see F first, OWE/EXP second. But usually the gate agent will announce F first, or F/EXP first, and then announce OWE and other "priority" boarding.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:49 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
This is getting off topic but oneworld benefits just says Emerald gets priority boarding. It doesn't state to the public where that priority should be.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
More staff depart

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...edundancy-plan
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
This isn't "more" as I read it - it's part of the redundancies already announced.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by christep
This isn't "more" as I read it - it's part of the redundancies already announced.
Indeed, and more are expected to be announced next week.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:19 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
This video from Lufthansa is a very good articulation of how an airline can’t be all things to all people. They capture the value market with eurowings and the Premium market with Lufthansa.

Qantas has been successful with the same. Cathay is failing at trying to address all markets at once.

Hottub Cowboy and kijhkijh like this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by sxc
This video from Lufthansa is a very good articulation of how an airline can’t be all things to all people. They capture the value market with eurowings and the Premium market with Lufthansa.
Qantas has been successful with the same. Cathay is failing at trying to address all markets at once.

I believe you are being unduly harsh on Cathay and do not appreciate that it now operates in an exceptionally difficult political and economic environment. Cathay has no domestic feeder market to rely on. Lufthansa does. Qantas profit driver has been the expansion of its domestic market.

I get the point that CX isn't price competitive within Asia and I certainly don't fly CX as much as I used because of that. However, there is a reason why *A carrier Air Canada selected CX as its Asian partner, and that is because of the reliability of Hong Kong as a hub, and CX as a carrier. No other quality carrier is as well situated geographically to serve Asia Pacific as is CX . It is a rarity to ever hear anything but praise about Hong Kong airports compared to the rest of the world and especially the mainland. CX aircrews are tops and understand service. The foreign markets it serves all have praise for it too. Any change will detract from that.

People do pick CX because they value service, safety, OTP and meals they can eat. My last flight on Air China PEK-BKK in J was negative experience and that is why I gladly paid 40% to take an extra 2 hours more to route through HKG via Cathay. There are still many people who will pay a bit more in Y and J to avoid the garbage experience of a China Eastern or Air China flight, even cost sensitive customers like me.

Lufthansa will have hit the proverbial brick wall this year in its battle to take on the LCCs. It can't change its pension obligations or salary structure any more than it now has. The only option it would have is to move its LCC operations out of Germany to get around the union and pension rules and that is not going to happen. That's why Lufthansa Group isn't the best example to compare to.

I use the word harsh, because you do not acknowledge the politics that CX must live with. I believe that CX suffers discrimination by the powers that be, because those powers have a vested interest in the profitability of the lower quality and unpleasant mainland carriers. They are in no hurry to help a Hong Kong company. I consider any "investment" stake in CX from the mainland no different than that of a club owner who must give the local mafia Don a share of the profits if he wants to keep
operating.

PS. I can't take a grown man wearing a scarf, while indoors, seriously. It's pretentious, and over the top.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Feb 10, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:35 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
@Transpacificflyer - Respectfully disagree on some points:

1. CX's geography is different from QF and LH: CX's base is the 7m HK residents, plus the 12m SZ residents who bus over and a significant chunk of the 108m residents of Guangdong province who bus or ferry.

The better analogy is BA/LHR rather than those two airlines.

2. In any case the KA China network is your effective domestic feeder equivalent.

3. I strongly disagree with the assertion that CX is not favoured by the current administration:

- JQHK got denied HK AOC on an austere reading of English shipping law that CX itself wouldn't have qualified had a grandfather clause not been inserted into our Basic Law

- HKExpress (45% owned by HU) got a massive rap over the knuckles for sloppy safety planning around October last year. It deserved criticism, I won't deny that, but certainly the assertion that HKSARG will back Mainland-supported company doesn't seem to be borne out.

4. HKG is slot constrained (again, like LHR). HKExpress, HK Airlines (largest shareholder HU again) and LCCs would love to have more.

I acknowledge this is a two-edged sword for CX - on one hand it profits as a slot hog, but on the other hand it will affect yield covering all those slots and being unable to reduce unprofitable services.

5. So CX's economics mirror those of BA with its LHR emphasis and constraints. I don't see BA splitting of a LCC either, just turning the mainline into a LCC while retaining the capability to price like a FSC while it can (CX also) (our perceptions of CX service obviously differ).

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 10, 2018 at 10:40 pm
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:53 am

China is an odd domestic market, as the govt hasn't allowed LCC to any extent. If you look at any other large domestic market (EU, US, OZ, Japan, India, Indonesia) the LCC have won, or the FSC forced to become defacto LCC. (domestically, JL and NH are LCC, competing against Shinkansen, and usually having to be cheaper than the train) In a more normal world, I would have expected KA to have been the LCC for China, and regional points, and CX the long haul FSC. BA has sort of done this, with BA Europe vs BA Longhaul being very different products.

I think CX is also a bit stuck by use of long haul aircraft in the region. LH doesn't use A350 for FRA-FCO, so with EU airlines there is a clear distinction long/ short haul. To use an extreme example, 275 seats in a B773ER HKG-TWN has got to be horrible economics vs a A321 with 230 seats.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:14 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
@peasant no LCC: isn't 3C a LCC?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by sxc;2940346[left
[/left]
Air NZ , American airlines, disagree with you

Remember, LH is barely cannibalizing its own markets with its LCC's , it is taking over competitor markets or filling OTHER gaps

JQ is barely useful in Sydney but QF has used it to target the tourist markets , Asia and NZ not compete with its Sydney hub....

When QF, LH start LCC's from full fledged hub LCC's at Frankfurt /Sydney with numerous destinations and still see revenue growth from those hubs then CX has a case to copy.

Until then there is little point trying to compete with an airline that cannot even turn a profit HX...
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by peasant
China is an odd domestic market, as the govt hasn't allowed LCC to any extent. If you look at any other large domestic market (EU, US, OZ, Japan, India, Indonesia) the LCC have won, or the FSC forced to become defacto LCC. (domestically, JL and NH are LCC, competing against Shinkansen, and usually having to be cheaper than the train) In a more normal world, I would have expected KA to have been the LCC for China, and regional points, and CX the long haul FSC. BA has sort of done this, with BA Europe vs BA Longhaul being very different products.

I think CX is also a bit stuck by use of long haul aircraft in the region. LH doesn't use A350 for FRA-FCO, so with EU airlines there is a clear distinction long/ short haul. To use an extreme example, 275 seats in a B773ER HKG-TWN has got to be horrible economics vs a A321 with 230 seats.
and CX is also a much larger cargo airline than LH or QF in fact probbaly LH and QF combined....
a 275 seat premium heavy 7773-er is making a hell of al ot more revenue than a 230 seat A321 with tickets sold for the same price as a big mac....
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kachjc
and CX is also a much larger cargo airline than LH or QF in fact probbaly LH and QF combined....
a 275 seat premium heavy 7773-er is making a hell of al ot more revenue than a 230 seat A321 with tickets sold for the same price as a big mac....
On HKG-TWN I doubt cargo will make up for the much higher costs of a B773ER. Plus, if competition is selling seats for the price of a big mac, it will impact your prices too. On a 80 minute flight, the value proposition of meals/ IFE is zip to most consumers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.