Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX New strategy rollout in 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Originally Posted by Aus106080
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/about-us/press-room/press-release/2017/Cathay_Pacific_Reorganises_Head_Office_as_First_St ep_in_Transformation_Plan_1.html

Laid off detail has been published.
Here is a clickable link
Old May 21, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Spock Seat
The SCMP article stated "[l]osses have mounted due to cheaper airfares and a slump in the number of passengers travelling in business class."

It's my opinion, but I think getting rid of "Premium economy" is the key to profits. Econ, Biz, and F. Anything Y+ never cuts it, a history of destroying an airline business, why would anyone be sold that instead of a business class seat.

For example, B4 JL went bankrupt, they gave me a Y+ upgrade, but they still fed me green raviolis. Now why would I want premium economy after that one. Never sat in a Y+ seat ever again.
Huh? Gonna strongly disagree there. A lot of folks can't afford 3-4K USD for J, but will still pay a small premium over Y to have a better experience. Plus the PE cabin is such a small chunk of the cabin, it's not like AA or CX (or anyone else) is lacking in J seats.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:00 pm

The SCMP article stated "[l]osses have mounted due to cheaper airfares and a slump in the number of passengers travelling in business class."

It's my opinion, but I think getting rid of "Premium economy" is the key to profits. Econ, Biz, and F. Anything Y+ never cuts it, a history of destroying an airline business, why would anyone be sold that instead of a business class seat.

For example, B4 JL went bankrupt, they gave me a Y+ upgrade, but they still fed me green raviolis. Now why would I want premium economy after that one. Never sat in a Y+ seat ever again.
Premium Economy is usually the most profitable cabin on an aircraft.

It's about time these were cuts were made. From what i hear within CX they've fallen into the HK trap of having a lot of poorly performing employees get into powerful positions through who they know or who their family knows. I just hope they get rid of the right people.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:12 pm

There's a lot of silly comments in this thread but this takes the cake. Green raviolis? What are you talking about? You will never fly Y+ again because of green ravioli?

Which airlines has Y+ destroyed? Most of the world's premium arlines have Y+ now, and for good reason.

Y+ is a big contributor to Cathay's profitability, behind J class. I think they have positioned Y+ very smartly, a worthwhile upgrade if you were thinking of Y, but not so great that anyone who is used to J would settle for Y+.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Which would be fine except that Y+ on CX is often about the same price as an alternative carrier in J.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
update - 600 canned with 200 more expected

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...aff-amid-major
Old May 22, 2017, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by christep
Which would be fine except that Y+ on CX is often about the same price as an alternative carrier in J.
Which alternative carriers are these?

I travel regularly between Australia and Asia. The only airlines I have seen offering business class for similar prices to CX PEY are the likes of Scoot and Jetstar, and that's because their "business class" is more like PEY on a premium airline.

Even with the likes of China Eastern, business class is still only ~AUD$1000 cheaper than CX business class, and still double the price of CX PEY. And I would much prefer to pay the extra to travel CX, if only for safety reasons.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:25 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Which alternative carriers are they.
If you are okay with going with a transfer, TG is often $13k to Australia. MH is $10-12k often.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:26 am
Suspended

OK, I was thinking ex-HKG. You may well be right for outports. But I can fly to Europe on QR or MH in J for about the price of CX PEY most of the time.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by christep
OK, I was thinking ex-HKG. You may well be right for outports. But I can fly to Europe on QR or MH in J for about the price of CX PEY most of the time.
Compare Direct flight to stopover flight is just list compare apple to orange.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:55 am
Suspended

Not when it's my own money and I'm retired, so spending 2 or 3 extra hours on a long-haul flight is no big deal.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
A lot of folks can't afford 3-4K USD for J, but will still pay a small premium over Y to have a better experience
That's what the c-suite thinks; in reality the premium is never small on CX, and between buying a cheaper Y/PY ticket elsewhere or upgrading to J on another carrier, CX doesn't have either of its bases covered.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Which alternative carriers are these?

I travel regularly between Australia and Asia. The only airlines I have seen offering business class for similar prices to CX PEY are the likes of Scoot and Jetstar, and that's because their "business class" is more like PEY on a premium airline.

Even with the likes of China Eastern, business class is still only ~AUD$1000 cheaper than CX business class, and still double the price of CX PEY. And I would much prefer to pay the extra to travel CX, if only for safety reasons.
I could list at least 5 if not 10 full service carrier has promotion J similar priced with CX PEY between asia and Australia.
MH is a very good alternative as being OW.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I could list at least 5 if not 10 full service carrier has promotion J similar priced with CX PEY between asia and Australia.
MH is a very good alternative as being OW.
I could compare CX to SQ, a one-way J fare on CX is US4k and with SQ it's US2.6k and CX's PEY is 1.8k so spending an extra 800 usd for me is worth it even if I have to fly an extra 4 hours.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by Aus106080
Compare Direct flight to stopover flight is just list compare apple to orange.
I don't agree. Plenty of passengers place a monetary value on non-stop versus 1-stop. A large price gap results in a significant slice of the market switching. I have a HKG/LHR return in J coming up which I booked for HK$26k which is only marginally more expensive than a non-stop upgradeable PEY on CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.