Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX New strategy rollout in 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz
Such a same to read this. CX had a lot going on for them, the most important was the word of mouth, how people use to talk about CX and how it was an amazing flight experience. This is something that is priceless to companies. It's a shame to see how their management did not adjust to change in market and therefore lost any competitive advantage they had.

It use to be a joy to get on a CX flight- Wonderful soft and hard product. But the soft product is subpar lately, the hard product is outdated and no longer cost efficient for customers to choose CX over AA.

Truth be told- on Friday- I am taking AA LAX-HKG in J, a route I would normally take on CX- But I dare anyone to challenge that AA is worse than CX-

AA Food quality has improved, they offer mattress pads (CX Does not), PJ's and a decent amenity kit. All for a better price.

I will obviously have a better opinion next week when I complete my leg- But AA IMO is a better option, CX should have never let this happen and they have to stop blaming the fuel storage issue.
I have written at least three times in the comment form when given one regarding how the competitors provide better amenities and soft product than CX. Not sure if the new strategy includes pricing competition, upgrade policies, op-ups, or compensations, but I'd rather see the management to look at the improvement of the business class product.

Moreover, what you say is true. Nowadays if they smile and keep great eye contacts, I'd do the best to appreciate them. When we talk about US FAs could have a bad day, CX FAs could have a bad day too.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; May 24, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
if they smile and keep great eye contacts
You're asking them to be remarkable knowledgable of your cultural background to expect that - there are many cultures in which sustained eye contact (particularly from a "servant" to the person served) is inappropriate, particularly if the "servant" is female and the person served is male.

How are the cabin crew supposed to know whether you would welcome extended eye contact or be severely offended by it?
Old May 24, 2017, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by christep
You're asking them to be remarkable knowledgable of your cultural background to expect that - there are many cultures in which sustained eye contact (particularly from a "servant" to the person served) is inappropriate, particularly if the "servant" is female and the person served is male.

How are the cabin crew supposed to know whether you would welcome extended eye contact or be severely offended by it?
Definitely didn't mean *sustained* or *extended*. Some young/junior FAs didn't really have ANY eye contacts, ANY. When you asked them something they might not even look at you. Dropped food/drinks, just dashed away. IMHO, that's not how it works. At least the ISM/Senior ones make good eye contacts, and there's a reason why they are long-standing senior ones - They love what they do. I believe in most cultures, making a little eye contact at the end of a question, listening to someone, or smiling/looking friendly(instead of looking indifferent) is showing respect and appreciation of your business/future business. I am not looking for dates with them, but at least the minimum is required. Sometimes I find that when I don't look at the FAs while asking something, they might just walk away. It's all about communication and understanding. They have a tough job to do. I usually give them a lot more slack for the midnight flights, but attentiveness(Checking out cabin frequently) would be another important aspect for being a good FA too.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
problem is competitor will always price just marginally below knowing most corp policy require "cheapest logical J"

for example for my fim, HKG Tokyo allow business but they want me to fly NRT on HX! so i can only fly to cx HND if i choose to on PEY only if chaper than prevailing HX business!

cx is screwed. thei business model was going to be doomed they had decade to prepare yet being complacent now they lost the plot
Old May 25, 2017, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Here's a comparison of J fares for YYZ-HKG for mid late November 2017.
(14/11/2017 YYZ-HKG with return on 21/11/2017 HKG-YYZ)

CX (as well as AC) J is significantly more expensive than several other options including MU, HU, BA/AY combo, TK, AA and KE. The only difference is that CX (and AC) are direct non-stop. That's a huge premium for this convenience.

Many companies now require their employees to fly the cheapest fare on the most logical itinerary. 1-stop vs. non-stop is often not in the consideration so long as the departure and arrival times to be "acceptable".

The 10-hour layover in IST may be "painful" but TK offers free local tours for long transit passengers.

Interesting but I'm not sure that example supports your case.

With CX you save 4 hours by going non-stop. For most business travellers, that would decide it. I'm not paying my own fare, and it is in the business' interest that I am in reasonable shape when I arrive.

Even if you have a boss who insists you take the cheapest fare, the only fare you would consider in that example is China Eastern. I don't want to work for any boss who would make me take a 10 hour layover in Istanbul on a 29 hour trip to save $1200.

And I wouldn't be super keen on China Eastern despite the fare. For one, not sure I trust their safety record or pilots. Also given the state of Chinese airspace, you can probably add a 4 hour delay onto that journey.

It's different for leisure travellers, I get that. But my point is CX can justify a premium on many routes, at least for business travellers.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:05 pm

This ^^. If your firm makes you fly a 29 hour trip to save 1200 USD, they are the sort of company that will insist on economy class fares only for all trips anyway...
Old May 25, 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Interesting but I'm not sure that example supports your case.

With CX you save 4 hours by going non-stop. For most business travellers, that would decide it. I'm not paying my own fare, and it is in the business' interest that I am in reasonable shape when I arrive.

Even if you have a boss who insists you take the cheapest fare, the only fare you would consider in that example is China Eastern. I don't want to work for any boss who would make me take a 10 hour layover in Istanbul on a 29 hour trip to save $1200.

And I wouldn't be super keen on China Eastern despite the fare. For one, not sure I trust their safety record or pilots. Also given the state of Chinese airspace, you can probably add a 4 hour delay onto that journey.

It's different for leisure travellers, I get that. But my point is CX can justify a premium on many routes, at least for business travellers.
+1. I agreed that the CX can demand more for YYZ-HKG non-stop than AC YYZ-HKG and any other connections. However, CX charges more for YYZ-HKG-SIN/BKK or SouthEast Asia than the competitors as well. One can make an argument that they do that to indicate they are the best TPAC/Asian carriers that demand more premium than the other carriers, but seriously, EVA isn't that far off. Inflight services for Chinese carriers are usually better than ground staff, but it's still not worth going through China to transfer to South East Asia or any other areas.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:46 pm

Just tried a similar exercise for a MEL-HKG return in about 90 days' time.

There are 3 non-stop options: CX (cheapest J is AUD$4183), VA ($4447) or QF ($6272).

Everything else is one stop.

Adding about 3.5 hours each way is PR ($2983) and SQ ($3506). Adding 5 hours each way is QF ($3582), VN ($3760) and TG ($3206). Adding 6-7 hours each way is BI ($2354), MH ($2940), GA ($3235).

No credible competition from China, cheapest is AC for $5976 and an extra 7.5 hours each way.

So CX has it over QF in the direct flights. VA is close but doesn't fly every day. In my experience, CX has dropped its cheapest J fares on this route over the last year or two - they used to be $5k or more.

The most competitive budget option is PR, but even then you are wasting 7 hours to save $1200. Will be a closer call once PR introduces lie-flat seats mid-2017, but with a stop you are less likely to get a decent sleep anyway. I would still rather go CX PEY for $2345 and cross my fingers for an upgrade.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
CX: A$4.2K is low! Still around 6.5K to go the other way
Old May 26, 2017, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Also given the state of Chinese airspace, you can probably add a 4 hour delay onto that journey.
Possibility of delay is the huge drag on China airfares. Unless you're starting or finishing from there.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:28 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by percysmith
CX: A$4.2K is low! Still around 6.5K to go the other way
Not anymore - J class to oz on CX is now starting at $24k (A$4.1k approx).
Old May 26, 2017, 12:35 am

Mid September yes
I was checking for 90 days (late August/early Sept)
Old May 28, 2017, 1:09 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
With the new restructuring and all, does anyone think they'll make any changes to the Marco Polo points system?
Old May 28, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by blum81
With the new restructuring and all, does anyone think they'll make any changes to the Marco Polo points system?
Highly unlikely....they just did.

Our ability to earn Club Points honestly doesn't crack the top 100 (500? 1000?) most important things a company like CX will be addressing with their restructuring. Much much bigger fish to fry when they say restructure. Mainly cost related.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by blum81
I hope they don't because under the the new points system I have been able to requalify with 1 month to spare for the past 2 years. I don't need the lounge pass and I doubt I could get an additional 400 in 1 month so I just normally hit the reset button as soon as i hit 1200.

Plus under the new system I don't even have to do any sector runs like in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.