Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Eagle2000
This thread is for specific A350 discussion.

For discussion regarding the A350-1000 please discuss here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1909549-a350-1000-general-discussion.html

Seating Guide
A350 Seating Guide

Routes to be serviced by A350:
Cathay Pacific full fleet and route guide (search for 35G for A350): Cathay Pacific Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide
Useful thread: New route speculation for Cathay

Already operating or confirmed (date of commencement)
Amsterdam
Auckland
Barcelona
Brisbane
Brussels
Capetown
Christchurch
Dublin
Frankfurt (March 31, 2019)
London Gatwick
Madrid
Manchester
Melbourne
Newark
Paris
Perth
Rome
San Francisco
Seattle (March 31, 2019)
Toronto (Su,W,F Oct 31 2019)
Tel Aviv
Vancouver
Washington DC
Zurich (March 31, 2019)
​​​​​​

Existing routes, speculated future equipment change to A350
Chicago
Milan
Los Angeles

Speculated future routes
Print Wikipost

A350 general discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by cx4ever
Are you saying that some A35K will have upgraded J?
I obviously don't have the exact answer, but since the A35K are still so young when the new J and F arrive in 2021 (plus those 5 will now actually only be delivered in the same year), I can't see why they won't get the new seats.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Photo of row 40

I've taken 350 on business class few times but for the first time I managed to fly on Y so I grabbed the photo and did analysis of the best Y seat.

In a nutshell, I think row 40 is BETTER than row 59 and/or seat 60A/K. Photo say it all but despite being a bulkhead, it has sufficient leg room. Also what I liked about row 40 seat AB + JK pairs is that seat monitor is mounted on bulkhead so you can have entertainment from takeoff to landing. Be careful about row 40 C and H asile, the TV is retractable TV and it has no bulkhead and feels "too open". The ABC+HJK pairs are NON bassinet so you can select them... I didn't take photo of the row 59/60 area but seat60A/K has no seat and feels little cramped, whereas row 59 tends to be gathering area for toilet and there is no seat-back to store your belongings.

I've also taken photo of the PEY seat on landing. I think they are better than regional J seat from what I saw (albeit being 40" seatpitch vs 45" for regional J)
Attached Images       
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
I did find the IFE mounted on the bulk-head row of PE made it quite a stretch to change the channel (seeing as the remote control doesn't do much), and even more so to keep hidding the pop-up adverts about duty-free.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Not yet tried 359's PEY yet, but for 359's Y, the problem definitely lies with the width not legroom.... I can sit with space on both sides on all CX aircraft EXCEPT 359 where it's a just fit for me... I really don't know how those obese people can sit in such seat....
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The PEY seats have huge recline (more than the 77H) and are overall very comfortable. They feel ever so slightly narrower than the equivalent seats in the 77H, but were totally fine for me. Larger people may feel a little squished.

The real downside to PEY seats on the A350 is the fact that when the person in front of you is fully reclined, it is difficult to get out of your seat. The immovable armrests make it impossible to slide into the aisle seat (from the window), so one almost has to grab on to the seat rest in front of you to actually climb out. The 77H does not have the same issue, likely because it has less recline.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
The PEY seats have huge recline (more than the 77H) and are overall very comfortable. They feel ever so slightly narrower than the equivalent seats in the 77H, but were totally fine for me. Larger people may feel a little squished.

The real downside to PEY seats on the A350 is the fact that when the person in front of you is fully reclined, it is difficult to get out of your seat. The immovable armrests make it impossible to slide into the aisle seat (from the window), so one almost has to grab on to the seat rest in front of you to actually climb out. The 77H does not have the same issue, likely because it has less recline.
I actually find that issue applies to all PE seats including on other airlines. If you have a neighbor in the aisle seat you need to be a contortionist to get out without disturbing someone.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:18 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Mentions CX's A350-1000 cancellations, cites low oil price making flying older aircraft more profitable
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...o-be-a-big-jet
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by percysmith
Mentions CX's A350-1000 cancellations, cites low oil price making flying older aircraft more profitable
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...o-be-a-big-jet
Not *technically* true. CX didn't cancel any A350 orders, although they swapped A35Ks for A359s. No net change. Not a cancellation per the language of their contract with Airbus...."cancellation" has a different meaning and usually implies penalties or compensation. There is always some flexibility in the contracts between variant types and that's all that happened here.

Cancellation is what EK did to the A350 years back. That's a real cancellation.

Bberg is continuing their trend of God-awful financial reporting. So many head shaking points in that article it's tough to take it seriously!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:22 pm

Don't forget that when Tony Tyler placed the initial order, it was all A359s. John Slosar converted some and ordered A3510s. Rupert Hogg is converting some A3510s to what was initially ordered which is the A359.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
I was onboard B-LRR yesterday (CX719) and the front right lavatory (door R1) was mulfunctioning mid-flight. The door cannot be locked completely and when it did, the lights won't turn on. I pointed out to the FAs in which they just sheepishly smiled and shrugged to indicate that they were aware of this rampant problem and that they will report it but there's not much they can do about it.
Lussac likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
I reported the same for B-LRD and another poster for B-LRG earlier this year and got the same crew reaction, just a smile and shrug. I do wonder when Airbus/Zodiac are going to do something about this as broken seat parts, toilet mirrors, non-functioning toilet lights and non-locking toilet doors can't be doing the image much good.
rienhart87 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by Lussac
I reported the same for B-LRD and another poster for B-LRG earlier this year and got the same crew reaction, just a smile and shrug. I do wonder when Airbus/Zodiac are going to do something about this as broken seat parts, toilet mirrors, non-functioning toilet lights and non-locking toilet doors can't be doing the image much good.
most worrying for me was the first CX A350 flight I had where I could see wear around some of the rivots on the wing! Normally the rivots would be painted over, but these had a distinct line around.

That flight also had a problem with water > crew unable to serve hot water so not tea or coffee on that PE service.

I've flown other operator's A350-900s and not noticed these issues before - seems to be CX specific.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I finally had my first flight on CX A350 HKG-BKK in J. I am very impressed.
The seat is more spacious than on the 77W and far more spacious than A330. I usually sleep on the side with knees up and I could do it on both sides, while I can only do it on one side on 77W. Lots of storage room. As good as the B/E super diamond that I get on QR.
The avod system is a marked improvement too. Larger screen with excellent definition. And the system itself is significantly better. It reacts very fast.
IMO some of the comments on seat scratches are a bit silly (apologies). Zodiac is known for its big problems on their "revolutionary" toilets. IMO the problems with the lav door lock are very minor. I heard from reliable manufacturer source, that their big problem is the new system whereby the washing water is recycled as toilet water. But there was no problems with lavs on my flight.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Traveled SINBKKSIN 2 weeks ago, booked in Y and pre selected seats 60A & 60K.

On the outbound, I was upgraded to PEY & re-assigned to a window seat 32A.
As we all know, airline check in counter staff just want to move us along as quickly as possible so when I asked for an aisle seat, the agent said PEY was full. So I asked to be downgraded back to my original seat in Y and she said that seat was no longer available as Y was oversold. After several repeated requests, she finally got up from her seat & went to speak to the supervisor and I got the bulkhead aisle seat (30D).

**Just a side note before I get flamed, I wasn't trying to be difficult. I just didn't want to be seated by the window as I value extra legroom more than anything else (I am 6'1")
And I don't like the feeling of being "trapped" in by your seatmate. I'd feel bad if I needed to get out to use the bathroom or to stretch my legs & get some snacks/drinks from the galley on longer flights.

PEY was all right. The extra space sure felt comfortable, but the meals & service were no different than in Y. And not having bathrooms in the PEY section is a bit of a bummer.
I'd consider how much more a ticket would cost over Y before I would book PEY

On the inbound, I was upgraded to J so again I did not get a chance to try the seat 60AK but when I took a walk around the Y cabin, I did notice that the seat looked pretty narrow, and especially at the window, it seems like it's protruding out.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
My thoughts

Originally Posted by fakecd
Photo of row 40

I've taken 350 on business class few times but for the first time I managed to fly on Y so I grabbed the photo and did analysis of the best Y seat.

In a nutshell, I think row 40 is BETTER than row 59 and/or seat 60A/K. Photo say it all but despite being a bulkhead, it has sufficient leg room. Also what I liked about row 40 seat AB + JK pairs is that seat monitor is mounted on bulkhead so you can have entertainment from takeoff to landing. Be careful about row 40 C and H aisle, the TV is retractable TV and it has no bulkhead and feels "too open". The ABC+HJK pairs are NON bassinet so you can select them... I didn't take photo of the row 59/60 area but seat 60A/K has no seat and feels little cramped, whereas row 59 tends to be gathering area for toilet and there is no seat-back to store your belongings.

I've also taken photo of the PEY seat on landing. I think they are better than regional J seat from what I saw (albeit being 40" seat pitch vs 45" for regional J)
Not sure I'd agree that row 40 bulkhead is better than the EmEx rows 59/60. I do not have first hand experience in those seats but from what I saw, getting in & out of the bulkhead window seat would still pose a challenge. This was the case in PEY where I was seated, there was a mother with a young infant in the bulkhead aisle, and a woman of "strong built" in the window seat. I can't imagine it being any better or roomier in Y.

Also, the bulkhead does not have "unlimited" leg room, although it is adequate for most people. It really depends on your height. And having to stow the TV screen away during takeoff & landing doesn't really bother me.
I have also come to accept that if I pick a seat with extra leg room, I'll have to come to terms with people either hanging around waiting for the bathroom, stretching & doing yoga poses in the galley or using the bulkhead as a shortcut to cut across the cabin.

I do agree to watch out for seats 40C & H as it is "exposed" to people walking past since there is no bulkhead in front of it. And the PEY seats & cabin are much more comfortable than in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.