Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Eagle2000
This thread is for specific A350 discussion.

For discussion regarding the A350-1000 please discuss here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1909549-a350-1000-general-discussion.html

Seating Guide
A350 Seating Guide

Routes to be serviced by A350:
Cathay Pacific full fleet and route guide (search for 35G for A350): Cathay Pacific Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide
Useful thread: New route speculation for Cathay

Already operating or confirmed (date of commencement)
Amsterdam
Auckland
Barcelona
Brisbane
Brussels
Capetown
Christchurch
Dublin
Frankfurt (March 31, 2019)
London Gatwick
Madrid
Manchester
Melbourne
Newark
Paris
Perth
Rome
San Francisco
Seattle (March 31, 2019)
Toronto (Su,W,F Oct 31 2019)
Tel Aviv
Vancouver
Washington DC
Zurich (March 31, 2019)
​​​​​​

Existing routes, speculated future equipment change to A350
Chicago
Milan
Los Angeles

Speculated future routes
Print Wikipost

A350 general discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by synthkeys
I just returned last night on CX890 to EWR, also my first flight on the A359. I was seated in J, 12K. I agree with the cabin noise being far less.
thanks for the extremely detailed post!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Got off 893 operated by LRN as my first 35G J flight (was op up'd, would have been TLV next month originally!)

All 3 lavs had cracked mirrors, one had a malfunctioning lock which brought visitors to many people's toilet breaks.

My armrest couldn't hold up fully, and the butt part of the seat was too oversized, the legrest was unable to be raised fully leaving a large crater when the seat was fully reclined. The ISM tested around using a few empty seats later and reported it was the same and she would write in.

The headset doesn't function when you have your device plugged in using the power outlet. Once switched to the USB port it was ok.

Not sure if related to the flight path, but the wifi was very weak compared to AA, although reasonably priced. And not sure if the flight path contributed to intense shaking for the majority of the flight (it's not the first time that crew have told me it's because of the plane not turbulence)

Overall I was not impressed, had I paid for J I would have written in and made a fuss about the quality issues.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: CX MPC Silver, Hilton Gold
I just got back from flying roundtrips SFO to Hong Kong on their new A350 (CX893, CX892). I sat in the PEY section, in 30K on one flight and 31H on the way back. Overall, I like the new configured seats with foot rests in all PEYs. Although there are more leg room in 30K, the screen was way too far for me. For some reasons, I couldn't use the TV control for many functions, so I had to use the touch screen to control it and it became awkward at times (e.g. if you also put the seat back). I also didn't like that fact that I couldn't store anything in these bulkhead seats so I switched to 31H on the next flight. I did miss the lavatory specific for the PEY section in 777 (which I have flown many times before). I had to go all the way back to the Y section to use the lavatory and to go further to get the extra snacks and drinks. However, I would still take A350 over 777 if I have a choice.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Thumbs up CX #LifeWellTravelled

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Got off 893 operated by LRN as my first 35G J flight (was op up'd, would have been TLV next month originally!)

All 3 lavs had cracked mirrors, one had a malfunctioning lock which brought visitors to many people's toilet breaks.
The headset doesn't function when you have your device plugged in using the power outlet. Once switched to the USB port it was ok.
I flew J on B-LRO last week and observed similar issues regarding the headset malfunctioning when I was charging my iPhone using the power outlet but it was also resolved when I switched to charge via the USB port. I noticed stains on the carpet and this plane is already showing visible dirt marks and smudges in the cabin and dark dust bunnies in vents. Cracked mirrors in 2 lavs that I used - first lav was by door 1L and the second one was by door 2R. So, the cracked lav mirrors seem to be a CX A359 issue and apparently affect B-LRN, B-LRO and B-LRQ. Yes, this is CX #LifeWellTravelled

Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
I understand all the 350 bashing/negative comments but maybe it really just comes down to poor maintenance.

Second time flying in J on the 350. I actually really like the small touches:
- the new padding above the "triangle" storage area by your feet
- in the headset storage cabinet there's a small compartment for a small tablet
- IFE is really a significant improvement and the screen is a great size & much better resolution

Also the A350 is beautiful:

jazzhou, Kachjc and KrazyTrain18 like this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:05 pm

Is every tail in that pic CX/KA!
so nice to not see those tacky mainland HX/UO planes
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Thanks! Do you know if the config is confirmed to be 50 30 250?
The config is 46/32/256.

​Since the -1000 has 8 more windows between doors 1 and 2, that is 4 extra rows of J which would mean no more mini-J cabin. And 11DG would still exist.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I just finished my 2nd long flight on 35G - can someone include in the wiki, 16A/K are the sole window seats that have one window only in the main cabin? I checked and all the rest all had two windows (20A/K, in the aft cabin, also only has one). The lack of a prime seat (well, perhaps 21?) is just so annoying!

by the way, might be worth mentioning, we were stuck on ground until 4am as apparently it was the first ever A350 slide dislodgement incident and since there were no spares (?) we were stuck waiting for HAECO to try and replace the entire slide. Not fun at all and the meal service was further reduced since half the galley was blocked (it was door 1R).
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Ms G50 and I just flew AMS - HKG (in a 777) followed immediately by HKG - SIN in a new A350 and it was interesting to make comparisons on the J cabins.

Pluses for A350:
1. The new screen and handheld are great as is the IFE.
2. The storage space below the window has a lid so now can be used during takeoff and landing.... most important is that a 15" Macbook Pro fits in it!
3. The power socket is in the headphone cupboard so you don't have a power supply right next to you.
4. The door to the headphone cupboard has a gap at the bottom for cables to pass through.
5. Cabin MUCH quieter
6. The daft padded seatbelt has gone

Negatives for A350:
1. My seat motors were weak and I needed to stand up to operate the seat recline without it stalling
2. Some of the trim next to the window looked like a bit of an afterthought and had started coming loose
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I flew the A350 TPE-HKG on 12/28 in J

Pros:
* Great IFE, especially the exterior camera view
* Storage space with doors, so can be used during takeoff and landing
* Quieter cabin

Cons:
* Wear on the seat fabric
* One storage door came loose
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Just flew LRB J... The seats are so poorly maintained... The cushion with the button that raise the bed extension can be taken up completely... Not just my seat but the two A and G seats (I was in D) of the same row also have this problem... Touch screen already showing phantom touch phenomenon... How can Zodiac deliver such product and how can CX accept such product???
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Thse A350's are looking so tired already interior wise. Inferior build quality compared to 77W. Will be well overdue for a heavy C check soon. Hardly been in service for long either.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by prw555
Thse A350's are looking so tired already interior wise. Inferior build quality compared to 77W. Will be well overdue for a heavy C check soon. Hardly been in service for long either.
You aren't being serious, are you? You realize the seats and toilets have nothing to do with "build quality" of the aircraft right?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
I finally had the opportunity to fly on A350-900 from HKG - SFO with complimentary upgrade. It is the first and was looking forward but............ it was disappointing.
  1. Too much wear and tear
    1. I guess it's 'new', everyone tends to try all functions of the seat, hence, buttons were 'damaged'
    2. The seat cushion got pull off often, I believe someone was trying to raise the arm rest
    3. A little turbulence, the cover for the safety vest just drop opened. At least I know where's the safety vest now
    4. Lights(LED) does not lights up when locked in one of the wash room, Cabin crew later set it to always On
  2. Avoid 11D/G at all cost, no privacy and get irritated
    1. Anyone going to the rest room will definitely stepped into their space when trying to open the curtain
    2. The curtain separating the cabin and the washroom are always 'locked down', I wonder why they don't do that between PEY & Y cabin
  3. Comfort
    1. I don't feel it's more comfortable than 777-ER300
    2. It was said the pressure & humility will helps in minimizing jet-lag, not for my case
  4. I heard the last row of PEY is terrible when they came to the J class wash room but I will observe the next time if I fly on her again

For the good stuff,
  1. Able to view from pilot's view, I find that interesting
  2. Window in rest room, no big deal but it's the first for me
  3. WiFi, good for long haul
Conclusion, no big deal. I don't see this as a must fly on her again like Boeing 747-SP400

Last edited by JohnGreat; Jan 9, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:44 pm

For me, having the A350 on day flights is a Godsend....because of Wifi.

I also find myself less dehydrated (and needing less water) flying the A350s than B77Ws.

Once the 77Ws have Wifi, I think the relative A350 advantage for me will decline a lot. And if it's a full-time nighttime long-haul sector like CX893, when I won't use Wifi anyway, I prefer B77W (especially 77H, which is the other choice for midnight departure ex-SFO on CX873). I still hate 77G, it's an awful configuration. But my relative hate for it will decline when it gets Wifi.

And agree with everyone above regarding seats 11D and G on A359. Those seats are an embarrassment to CX.

Overall, the way CX fit-out its A359s and 77Gs I find to be a very bad layout for long-haul flights. There are really no "good" seats IMO. The mini-cabin often gets raided by PEY and Y class passengers, meanwhile the front cabin always has bustle. And the rear galley is close to almost all seats so you always have noise, meanwhile the cockpit crew still pop out and flirt with the ISM at the forward L1 door from time to time meaning you can't guarantee to get reprise from seat 11A either. And A359 has terrible 11D/G seats, while 77G has an awful 20G. For those unfamiliar, both A359's 11D/G and 77G's 20G seats are essentially sitting in the toilet.

This type of config works on the A333 because A333 is a smaller plane and the missions are shorter. (and, neither A333 long-haul config has toilet seats, because the toilet door is facing door R2, instead of inside the passenger cabin). It's still mind-boggling to me that CX has three completely non-serviceable business class seats between 35G and 77G. What a disgrace.

Laughably, if I understand it correctly CX actually dictated their custom A359 layout to Airbus and this actually increased the cost of CX's A359 fitouts, instead of doing more off-the-shelf Airbus configs offered.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jan 9, 2018 at 11:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.