Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: MPC will go way of PPS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Originally Posted by Rivarix
Does anyone know when in 2016 this will start? I mean early 2016 or late 2016 going to 2017? the start of this thread only mentioned 2016 ...

BA recently changed the threshold for concord room card. Existing members were given couple months to reach the original threshold.

Someone could argue that they take all the flights and expected to become silver and enjoy the advertised benefit. (unlimited lounge access when flying CX), so I wouldn't be surprise that the 4 lounge access per year would only kick in at least 12 month later.

But I think you are more interested in the PPS style benefit...
Old May 9, 2015, 5:25 pm

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
Among the many changes is a new focus on revenue-based spending, rewarding business and first-class customers, who pay much more than economy passengers.

Hong Kong's leading airline says its existing measures to reward travellers based on the number of flights and distance flown "are not the best measure of value", and that airlines all over the world are recognising these "anomalies".

As for Cathay, the current round of proposals includes providing thousands more reward seats to its own Marco Polo Club members by denying its airline partners the benefit of redemption.

Among other changes being considered is a tightening of rules on access to its airport premium lounge. Cathay has always given members in three of its four tiers access - a policy seen as generous. Other full-service airlines such as British Airways grant access only to the top two of its four-tier club.

[ThePointsGuy.com Brian] Kelly warns: "Cathay's system has been overly generous, and what you're about to see is a correction of that."

Cathay has drafted in a senior manager from Qantas Loyalty, the Australian airline's hugely profitable rewards programme, to spearhead its own Asia Miles revamp, which together with the Marco Polo Club will earn more money for the Hong Kong carrier.
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...-wings-clipped
Old May 9, 2015, 5:35 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
http://www.scmp.com/business/compani...ee-flights-own

However, it is understood the number of points needed to redeem a flight will at the same time go up incrementally.
Old May 9, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
it's great that CX is going to cut out the partner redemptions. They leave the most bitter taste as a loyal MPC member trying to burn redemptions.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
it's great that CX is going to cut out the partner redemptions. They leave the most bitter taste as a loyal MPC member trying to burn redemptions.
Don't be too excited. It may be limited to the renewed MPC members only unless CX can convinced oneworld to change the agreement to include regular AM members. I guess another way to do this is to through inventory management to only release seats through waitlist. Personally I wish they would change the agreement so every airline's own member will get priority.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:27 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by JALPak
Don't be too excited. It may be limited to the renewed MPC members only unless CX can convinced oneworld to change the agreement to include regular AM members. I guess another way to do this is to through inventory management to only release seats through waitlist. Personally I wish they would change the agreement so every airline's own member will get priority.
Huh? Currently already BAEC members already get access to less reward flights than MPO members using AM. I thought CX already has some control over what partners get through using POS.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Huh? Currently already BAEC members already get access to less reward flights than MPO members using AM. I thought CX already has some control over what partners get through using POS.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB100...53221719220624

Oneworld says its members have agreed to make reward seats equally available—if one carrier offers the seats, all must offer them. The alliance hopes that can be a "competitive advantage," said spokesman Michael Blunt.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:47 pm

Jalpak - I see. But I am very sure CX isn't compliant with that policy even as of now.

Case in point - try redeeming one seat on 25May CX421 TPE 1150 HKG 1345. BAEC won't show any seats for that fight. MPO will show one redemption seat in Business.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:58 pm

Jalpak - I see. But I am very sure CX isn't compliant with that policy even as of now.

Case in point - try redeeming one seat on 25May CX421 TPE 1150 HKG 1345. BAEC won't show any seats for that fight. MPO will show one redemption seat in Business.
It may just be lag in syncing
Old May 9, 2015, 7:08 pm

Bit of a coincidence CX421 happens to be the last J redemption returning to HKG that day (25 May is the Monday of the Buddha's birthday long weekend).

Last edited by percysmith; May 9, 2015 at 7:20 pm
Old May 9, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
http://www.scmp.com/business/compani...ee-flights-own
Cathay reviews loyalty scheme to give more free flights to own customers

Cathay Pacific is to set aside more free seats for its seasoned frequent fliers, under the latest proposal to revamp the award- winning airline's loyalty scheme.
The plan is to slash the number of free air tickets available for partner airlines and to reallocate those to Cathay's own Marco Polo Club members, sources close to the ongoing review say.
However, it is understood the number of points needed to redeem a flight will at the same time go up incrementally.
Old May 9, 2015, 7:24 pm

Bit of a coincidence CX421 happens to be the last J redemption returning to HKG that day (25 May is the Monday of the Buddha's birthday long weekend).
I saw the same just now when I did a dummy booking...maybe it will change later. Or it's possible they have changed that agreement already.
Old May 9, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Don't think so. Earlier this year a colleague tried to book using AA and US miles (he had points with both - this was before the points were merged) and both said there were no availability while I saw J seats available through MPC.

Not sure if it will happen but I do hope CX follows LH (or even LX) on J and F redemptions. This way I don't have to compete with the AA crowds for F space on CX.

Last edited by Rivarix; May 9, 2015 at 7:46 pm
Old May 9, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
And I'm still stuck on waitlists after months of waiting with plenty of availability.
Old May 9, 2015, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Rivarix
Don't think so. Earlier this year a colleague tried to book using AA and US miles (he had points with both - this was before the points were merged) and both said there were no availability while I saw J seats available through MPC.
Guilty as charged here. I am AA EXP and CX Gold, and have tons of miles in both programs. It has been my experience (for years) that you'll see availability for a particular flight on the CX website but AA agents will not be able to "see" it and book it for you. Don't think it's a matter of "syncing" or anything, it's policy. Don't know if it's a breach of the "rules", but I can live with that.

The reason I can live with that is the mileage "spread". I can book a one way F award ticket for 67,500 AA miles, which will cost me 140,000 harder-to-earn Asiamiles. If the spread narrows, or the availability becomes even more tight, the calculus shifts to throwing more of my mileage accrual to Asiamiles, which I'm not excited about as they are harder to earn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.