Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: MPC will go way of PPS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Hkg bkk japan is actually better than hkg japan direct on redeye. You can get half a decent sleep, as opposed to zlich.
Except it cost more on adiamiles
Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by daniellam
BA has the Concorde Room in LHR where only their First Class passengers get to use. They created an inferior lounge and called it the "First Class" lounge for their own OWE/equivalent members.

In theory, if QF wanted to, they can make their F lounge in SYD the "Kangaroo Club" and admit only their own first class passengers. They would then setup an inferior lounge and call it the "First Class" lounge for OWE members to use.
But do you think it is economical for QF to do so? I don't have the data but somehow I doubt they have as many F seats ex-SYD as BA has ex-LHR. It means QF will spend $$$ for an under-utilized 'Kangaroo Club' and at the same time spend more $$$ to maintain a second F lounge. Economically that wouldn't make sense?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by percysmith
Is it just me or am I the only one actively trying to fly something other than CX now? If not forced by schedule or availability...
Except for the one flight on NH, all my flights to/from SE Asia for the past 9 years had been on CX ... until this year. A couple of months ago I flew QR to SE Asia (flew with them to HYD previously for work) ... and will do so again (in lieu of CX) next month.

I still credit the miles to MPC. I guess I'm waiting to see how this 'new' MPC will look like. If they truly go the way of SQ in terms of redemption (i.e. blocking AA members from redeeming F) then I may stick around because it will mean that I finally have a much better chance to use my miles for J to F upgrade. Otherwise ... well ... lets just say that I have no problem flying QR B788 in J (or their A359 which I will try next month) and transit in DOH instead of HKG. Of course, I will still fly CX to Asia ex-LAX but from US East Coast either one is fine (though I wish QR would put the A359 to JFK sooner rather than later).
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:00 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rivarix
Except for the one flight on NH, all my flights to/from SE Asia for the past 9 years had been on CX ... until this year. A couple of months ago I flew QR to SE Asia (flew with them to HYD previously for work) ... and will do so again (in lieu of CX) next month.

I still credit the miles to MPC. I guess I'm waiting to see how this 'new' MPC will look like. If they truly go the way of SQ in terms of redemption (i.e. blocking AA members from redeeming F) then I may stick around because it will mean that I finally have a much better chance to use my miles for J to F upgrade. Otherwise ... well ... lets just say that I have no problem flying QR B788 in J (or their A359 which I will try next month) and transit in DOH instead of HKG. Of course, I will still fly CX to Asia ex-LAX but from US East Coast either one is fine (though I wish QR would put the A359 to JFK sooner rather than later).
my family is contemplating to jump ship to JAL: cost isnt that high as compared to status renewal... and spending miles had been terrible.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:53 am

Well, EVA has been ignoring my emails about status match, so I guess AA is my only logical jump option if I don't like the "enhancements" done to the MPC.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:03 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I'd probably wait till the dust settles and then decide the course of action to take. It seems so many here are jumping ship to AA and you know there will be changes ahead with their program. And then what...find another program to jump ship to?

My feeling is, it's not going to be SQ like. As far as lounge access being limited to SL members, I think we can safely say that's a given.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by gemini573
I'd probably wait till the dust settles and then decide the course of action to take. It seems so many here are jumping ship to AA and you know there will be changes ahead with their program. And then what...find another program to jump ship to?

My feeling is, it's not going to be SQ like. As far as lounge access being limited to SL members, I think we can safely say that's a given.
Well, I am waiting, but it's good to be prepared.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: ACSE*2MM,CX Diamond, BA Gold, OW Emerald,Fairmont Platinum, SPG Platnium Lifetime,
Months go by and still no announcements fro MPC and or CX about any changes....I think whoever started all of on FT must be scratching there heads as I am right now...
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by 2MMKid
Months go by and still no announcements fro MPC and or CX about any changes....I think whoever started all of on FT must be scratching there heads as I am right now...
The people that are posting this are usually good sources, so change are definitely coming. I just hope that CX isn't just taking away, but are also giving away as well. For example:

1) Return DM confirmation on awards, redemptions, etc. It was very nice when DM can just call and get a confirmed answer right away. Rather than make us wait till 2 days before departure...

2) Can CX throw FF a bone by finally giving tier bonus miles? GO = 25%, DM = 50%

I personally don't mind they make us buy M fares to get 100% miles as long as they can give us good benefits.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
1) Return DM confirmation on awards, redemptions, etc. It was very nice when DM can just call and get a confirmed answer right away. Rather than make us wait till 2 days before departure...
One swallow doesn't make a summer - still, the 2 redemptions that I've done over the past couple of months have had CX sectors that were not available. Both times, the agent suggested that she could try getting a seat released if we used my miles (instead of my wife's - she's a GO).

However these were both on HKG-SIN or vv sectors, reasonably in advance (when revenue fareclass inventory tends to be high) - so no clue if the MPC is getting back to the good old days on longhaul (SFO has always been a problem!).
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Originally Posted by kaka
my family is contemplating to jump ship to JAL: cost isnt that high as compared to status renewal... and spending miles had been terrible.
I'm not sure about award ticket rates, but if you are a JL status member, you can go for FLY-ON upgrade.

Selected EU - Tokyo route Y/PY--> J upgrade is only 17500miles (originally 27500 miles)

Selected US - Tokyo route Y/PY--> J upgrade is only 15000miles (originally 15000 miles)

It is a bit like the current old BA System, where you get very generous bonus for flying their own metal/small group of carriers, if you have the right JAL credit card and all the bonus miles, you can achieve something like purchasing PY and always have enough miles from Y/PY to J, or purchasing J and always have enough miles for one way F upgrade.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
It seems that JL has a better FFP but QR J fare is generally cheaper and QR has better transit time (for the routes I'm looking for).

Now that I think of it, for some reason I don't even consider Sky or *A airlines (I have UA as backup for US domestic). I'm only thinking of JL, QR or AY to replace CX (for metal). I don't know why ... I just don't. Seems like I've been brainwashed by OW.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by gemini573
Fair. I still have a foot in the water. I've got 4 upcoming long-haul segments + 4 short haul segments on CX+KA. However, all the long-hauls are cheap J class fare bucket either D or I. I've spent perhaps $10k USD on CX this year so far plus a few award tickets, not sure how to value those. But definitely lower spend overall. My full fare long-haul travel this year so far has gone to BR, EK and SQ. Oops.

I won't quit CX/KA, it's virtually impossible for me even if CX eventually announces the downgrades we're anticipating. I'm based in HKG and I just don't want to avoid CX for leisure travel...somewhat ironic. Too much pain in the butt. For business it's easy to launch off from another Asian city. Not so much personal, especially when traveling with significant others.

Some time in the past, I wouldn't have blinked and given all my revenue blindly to CX (except for a brief blip in 2007-2009 when you couldn't guarantee a flat bed in CX J, and I was flying to Europe...in that case I'd go via BA in J, versus CX in F). It's not so much this thread that caused the change, but more the constant devaluation of the MPC program combined with the impressive gains CX's competitors have with their hard products.

If MPC ultimately restores some of those soft benefits like actually keeping award availability for DMs (or opening up revenue tickets), stopping the roulette game figuring out whether or not I can upgrade to F with Asia Miles (while selling F partner redemptions hands over fist), keeping seat block in economy, restoring the consistency of 6+ months ago when you were always recognized as a DM on board, etc. I'd probably go back to the way it was. CX has taken how good MPC is for granted, and forgotten that we were loyal because of MPC, not in spite of it.

And in the interim, I've signed up for an AA credit card and AAdvantage to get some miles over there, since it appears that's the smarter way to book CX F travel. Basically this thread was just a reality check that I was stupid to be so blindly loyal to CX when CX was cutting what I valued most (soft benefits) while competitors like BR were offering better and better hard product benefits, so the gap narrowed.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:52 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
No more discussion on how to get a US credit card please. Stay on topic discussing the potential changes to MPC and effect on your travel patterns.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:03 pm

Does anyone know when in 2016 this will start? I mean early 2016 or late 2016 going to 2017? the start of this thread only mentioned 2016 ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.