Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Is 715 listed as 77H or G? Imho that flight is usually packed (even more so on fridays), and a prime candidate for substitution to a higher capacity plane.
Old May 6, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Is 715 listed as 77H or G? Imho that flight is usually packed (even more so on fridays), and a prime candidate for substitution to a higher capacity plane.
So you know this.
How come CX don't know this ?
They (CX) will have a whole office of employees who's job, is to study and to read the market.

I don't mind a high cap plane on Fridays - I just wish that CX would market and sell it, so that I can buy the seats that I wish to sit in.
Old May 6, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: QF WP
715 is pretty much whatever random plane they can find, or at least it seems that way. Besides, it's not the only route that's packed on a Friday evening, and the return flight from SIN can be half empty at times. One of those flights I was on had less than 10 J pax on a 744. Hope they had a lot of cargo to carry that time.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
SIN is usually served by the 77G
Old May 6, 2014, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
715 is pretty much whatever random plane they can find, or at least it seems that way. Besides, it's not the only route that's packed on a Friday evening, and the return flight from SIN can be half empty at times. One of those flights I was on had less than 10 J pax on a 744. Hope they had a lot of cargo to carry that time.
Interesting! Took 715 close to 80 times over a 1.5yr period a few years back, almost always on friday evenings (and a few times over the past couple of years), always been jampacked, always a regional 330/772/773. The only time I saw anything different back then, was when a 747 came in, around CNY, F1 etc.

in2it54 - i dont really know anything , just surmising what i've heard, including from an 'on the inside' CX employee on this board.
Old May 7, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: QF WP
Interesting! Took 715 close to 80 times over a 1.5yr period a few years back, almost always on friday evenings (and a few times over the past couple of years), always been jampacked, always a regional 330/772/773. The only time I saw anything different back then, was when a 747 came in, around CNY, F1 etc.

in2it54 - i dont really know anything , just surmising what i've heard, including from an 'on the inside' CX employee on this board.
Admittedly, the 744 was a last minute sub. Still, given the schedule of the 715, I think people would still go on it even if the plane had only wooden stools and benches.

I'm not a regular on the 715, but for the times I've been on it, it's about 50/50 long-haul config. It's a luck thing, I suppose.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
no idea... both will be listed as 77W right? Well looking at the seat selection, there are quite some numbers open seats mainly middle seat..... Does not seem pack flight at this moment.

CX690 looks busy but even today CX website still can take 6 bookings...

Unlikely I will get op up, as I am no 30 in SEQ as the ticket was only issue yesterday at 4pm
Old May 7, 2014, 2:56 am

Well to me not so surprise if CX715 is always full especially on Friday. It is the "last" flight out of HKG on Friday which most of Business traveler try to be on that flight to be back home.

Of course with the introduction of the red-eye flights, the term last flight on Friday may not be so correct as there is another flight that bound for SIN in like 3 hours later.

I was in CX715 few times.... It can be any type of aircraft A333, B773, B744. I guess they will swap it if the demand is too huge and if there is flight avail.

Also I was told there are too many elites also in this flight, so being silver is very unlikely to be op-ups.

On one of my CX715, it saw there were so many boarding pass at the gates. I was even given a new boarding pass to the Y+. I guess they probably op Y+ people to C accordingly also....

Never really see CX715 empty on Friday. So I was quite surprise to see many seats are still avail now. Well may be it will still be full at the end
Old May 7, 2014, 5:05 pm

Twenty-six of the CX 715s flown between 7 April and 7 May have tail numbers called out on Libhomeradar, as follows:

772 -- 4
73Z -- 5
77G -- 5
33Z -- 9
330 -- 2
74K -- 1

A lottery, indeed.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:29 pm

Cx715 was delayed for more than 4 hours last night. Hope it will not happen tonight
Old May 9, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lingua101
Cx715 was delayed for more than 4 hours last night. Hope it will not happen tonight
Nearly all of the flights out of HKIA last night were delayed to varying degrees due to the heavy monsoon rains which resulted in a black rain signal.

CX715 was one of the worst hit tho as most flights were only set back 1-2 hours.

Tonight's weather looks to be more of the same but hopefully for your sake, less disruptive.
Old May 9, 2014, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by JeCCo
Nearly all of the flights out of HKIA last night were delayed to varying degrees due to the heavy monsoon rains which resulted in a black rain signal.

CX715 was one of the worst hit tho as most flights were only set back 1-2 hours.

Tonight's weather looks to be more of the same but hopefully for your sake, less disruptive.
i am at the wing now. so far cx715 will depart on schedule from gate 2.

got bumped into y+ but got f seat

the wing is very pack now
Old May 9, 2014, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by lingua101
i am at the wing now. so far cx715 will depart on schedule from gate 2.

got bumped into y+ but got f seat

the wing is very pack now
just after i submitted this post, they made announcement that the flight is now delayed to 2045 due to late aircraft arrival
Old May 9, 2014, 6:27 am

Nothing, compared to 711!
(I'm on the next segment to CMB, think I'll end up drinking the QF lounge dry)
Old May 9, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I have been flying HKG-SIN in J a few times recently.

On CX you mostly get a poor regional seat (some Russian roulette chances) where you can hardly up your feet or recline and 2x3x2 in 777, and miserable video. On SQ you get either a longhaul ac (77W and A380) with no Russian roulette, or an excellent lie-flat regional, 2x2x2 on 777, excellent video. When I am sited over 4 hours (from boarding to unboarding), I like to lie down after a meal and either nap after work or watch a movie. CX is totally uncompetitive.

I understand that corporate contracts and FFP are major determinants. But some pax, like me, have the choice and I cannot see how I would pay the huge Business fare on a poor CX regional seat.
I believe that CX has now invested in the best (or among the best) longhaul products in F, J, PE and Y. But it lags SQ on its HKG-SIN run in J. Its regional product, even the new one, might be sufficient on most other routes, but not to SIN.

Last edited by brunos; May 9, 2014 at 7:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.