Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Savage25
Ugh, just found out by accident that my CX690 next week has been downgraded from 77W F to regional 333 J. The fare difference for a one-way SIN-HKG is SGD800, but this is a revenue ticket as part of a complex itinerary that I can't reprice now. What sort of downgrade compensation should I expect?

There is another flight with F three hours later but my schedule is inflexible.
whatever happens would you mind letting us know?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: LX, BA, SQ, MH
I also experienced the CX equipment lottery on my recent flight. One day before departure the plane got changed from an A343 to an old A333. As I was in Y I was not too bothered and the seats are probably more comfortable than the fixed shell ones. On the return it was scheduled to be a B777-200 and that did not change. However I was lucky and got an op-up to C as Y was fully booked.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LAX888
On the return it was scheduled to be a B777-200 and that did not change. However I was lucky and got an op-up to C as Y was fully booked.
Couldn't found any listed under your name....but do you hold any elite status with CX?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:53 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I seem to see a lot of B772s on this route...
Old Jul 11, 2013, 2:26 am

Programs: LX, BA, SQ, MH
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Couldn't found any listed under your name....but do you hold any elite status with CX?
I used to be Silver but got downgraded to Green. Therefore I was really surprised to be upgraded. I guess it was quite last minute as I changed my flight a few hours before as I was on a flexible Y ticket so perhaps that has helped as well or there were just no other pax with higher status. I even did online check-in so they knew I was going on that flight. I guess the 1.30AM flight is not very popular with many pax. But still surprising that Y was fully booked.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
CX 714: I've seen pax in biz class with I (op-up) on their boarding pass, without even an Asiamiles number on the bp, the one time I took that flight - packed to the gills with tour groups.

Pity that I was on a paid, even if cheapo, biz class ticket - they did do a decent job though - I think that the only empty seat on the plane was next to me.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 3:18 am

Programs: QF WP
I received an op-up on CX714 before as well. 4 other pax were op-uped that time, and J still wasn't full. It's the highest density regional 773 as well, so very surprising for a 1am flight.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I also experienced the CX equipment lottery on my recent flight. One day before departure the plane got changed from an A343 to an old A333. As I was in Y I was not too bothered and the seats are probably more comfortable than the fixed shell ones. On the return it was scheduled to be a B777-200 and that did not change. However I was lucky and got an op-up to C as Y was fully booked.
But B777-200 C class is awful. Like flying in the 80s or 90s
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lingua101
But B777-200 C class is awful. Like flying in the 80s or 90s
Better than Y class
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by correctioncx
Better than Y class
And perfectly adequate for the upto-4h flights the CX uses them for. I liked the new regional biz - nowhere near SQ's regional hardware- but a) CX uses this for shorthaul, vs the 7-8 hr flights that SQ uses its regional flights for, b) the service is that much warmer and nicer!
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jagmeets
And perfectly adequate for the upto-4h flights the CX uses them for. I liked the new regional biz - nowhere near SQ's regional hardware- but a) CX uses this for shorthaul, vs the 7-8 hr flights that SQ uses its regional flights for, b) the service is that much warmer and nicer!
Yes I think it is a joke where SQ uses these slopes beds which essentially just like the space beds to Australia in some flights . Also as I understand it they still have the ultimo recliners for regional and does not appear it will be changed any time soon
Old Jul 12, 2013, 2:12 am

I used to be Silver but got downgraded to Green. Therefore I was really surprised to be upgraded. I guess it was quite last minute as I changed my flight a few hours before as I was on a flexible Y ticket so perhaps that has helped as well or there were just no other pax with higher status. I even did online check-in so they knew I was going on that flight. I guess the 1.30AM flight is not very popular with many pax. But still surprising that Y was fully booked.
Normally not much elite flying at the red-eye flights. Many of the pax are Chinese tourist traveling on group (heavily discounted ticket?)
Old Jul 12, 2013, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by correctioncx
Better than Y class
Which Y classs? With SQ Y class on A330 or A380? I think SQ Y class has better IFE. At least it is AVOD.

CX B772 does not even AVOD in C class and no "remote" as the controller is on the side on your seat. And the TV quality is sucks. Like 5-6" TV

Only the seat is bigger, that's all
Old Jul 12, 2013, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets
But CX prices their C class on SIN-HKG flight on par with SQ. CX price $2,122 vs SQ $2227

I would pay extra $100 to avoid any surprise on flying very ancient C class...

If time is not really an issue, I would rather fly MH and take their A380 service to HKG which only cost $1,526.20
Old Jul 12, 2013, 3:22 am

Actually CX biz class fares on SIN based corp contracts, for SIN-HKG are fairly cheaper than SQ. Atleast been the case with my current and last employer.

And cheaper yet, when they are a part of a multi-segment I class fare (not originating in SIN).

While I agree that for SIN-HKG specifically, SQ hardware beats the pants off CX, my decision is based on my overall flying (where CX for longhaul, LCCs for leisure trips nearby, SQ redemptions for redeyes from India works well for me). Perhaps take choosing CX for SIN-HKG biz trips as my way of paying back, for I do feel loved by CX.

Current corp policy is for HKG trips in coach - I'd rather book CX knowing that I have a good shot at getting upgraded.

And having done roundtrips between the 2 places over a 100 times on CXin the last few years, I am well in my comfort zone, despite the cr@ppy T1, sad Skyview lounge, and weak CX hardware .
(I do go to the QF lounge, time permitting)

Oh..and the last time I was booked in biz on SQ for a SIN-HKG trip, it took me 40 minutes at check-in, to change to an earlier flight. (was not-the-cheapest-fare, changes were permitted, seats were available).

The worst I had while trying to standby on a full CX flight (in coach), when I was GO was a 'Sir, it looks tough, why dont you go and relax in the lounge, and we'll try to figure things out'.
(I got a biz class seat - would SQ ever do, even for PPS?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.