Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Looking at random weeks from now until August, I cannot find a single day with F scheduled on this route. Have they finally given up ever offering F?
Probably. Most flights now seem to be 333 regional biz when I look. I guess they saw there wasn't that much demand for revenue F even when connecting to long haul....Let alone redemption F from AA or BA.Even though I personally prefer long haul J on this route if it was available I kind of understand where they are coming from.Of course I may also decide to look at SQ more often as a result.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:58 am

sorry to bring up an old thread. is there any reason why would CX plan to schedule 77W for this sector based on the timetable? i would have thought that they would schedule only regional equipment and then switch it to long haul if they were short of regional equipment.

more relevantly, does this mean that the 77W won't be substituted out since it is planned?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by epigram
sorry to bring up an old thread. is there any reason why would CX plan to schedule 77W for this sector based on the timetable? i would have thought that they would schedule only regional equipment and then switch it to long haul if they were short of regional equipment.

more relevantly, does this mean that the 77W won't be substituted out since it is planned?
This is rather the opposite.
CX has a lot of LH planes available during the day as many LH flights depart in evening and land in morning. They allocate them to various regional destinations. When there is a problem with LH planes and they are short of them for the regional destination, they substitute a regional plane.
SIN seems to get few of those, except for the occasional A340. The 77W seems rarely scheduled nowadays and it is often substituted by a regional plane. While some destinations like HND are almost assured of a LH plane, SIN is not.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 4:59 am

If PEY is offered, then J is long haul flat-bed config?

Sorry for this noob question. This looks true based on aircraft type wiki:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...gage-faqs.html

So if I book a J seat in with PEY behind then it's should be Cirrus/Herringbone flat bed right? How likely does that get swapped to a regional aircraft?

Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
In NW, the only guaranteed LH equipment is 735/710 operated by an A343. There are a smattering of A33G/A33E on some of the other flight but have not been able to notice a consistent pattern.

The 77Gs/Hs tend to be seen on MNL, CEB, SGN and BKK more presumably of the shorter distance to HKG in case the frame is needed to turn around quicker.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by brunos
SIN seems to get few of those, except for the occasional A340. The 77W seems rarely scheduled nowadays and it is often substituted by a regional plane. While some destinations like HND are almost assured of a LH plane, SIN is not.
I went through the timetable and it seems that between now to February, all SIN flights are scheduled with regional equipment, in March the last flight to SIN is scheduled with long haul equipment most of the week. In April it is back to regional equipment.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:03 am

In 2015 i've done SIN and back at least once a month and i have not had a single aircraft swap, at least within my booking window of 1-2 weeks before departure. I think the problem of regional aircraft swapping has largely gone away now.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Yep- much improved, but now it's more or less a given that we'll have regional J to/from SIN

Did have a couple of swaps to longhaul J in September though- Once on CX691, which is typically more likely given schedules & surprisingly, once on 716.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
We are booked on CX635 later in December and when we initially booked earlier this Fall, it was showing as LH config. There were only 4 business class awards, so my wife agreed to go in PE if she got the 4 hours to herself and I watched our 3 kids in business class (seemed like a good trade to me). We booked the tickets with Avios. A few weeks ago I got an email from BA, showing my wife re-ticketed into business class. When the plane changed to regional config, there was no PE left and they (nicely I guess) bumped her up instead of down without any additional miles deducted. I was hoping it might switch back, but we are under a week out now and no luck, so I guess we'll have the regional product.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stephem
We are booked on CX635 later in December and when we initially booked earlier this Fall, it was showing as LH config. There were only 4 business class awards, so my wife agreed to go in PE if she got the 4 hours to herself and I watched our 3 kids in business class (seemed like a good trade to me). We booked the tickets with Avios. A few weeks ago I got an email from BA, showing my wife re-ticketed into business class. When the plane changed to regional config, there was no PE left and they (nicely I guess) bumped her up instead of down without any additional miles deducted. I was hoping it might switch back, but we are under a week out now and no luck, so I guess we'll have the regional product.
You'd rather it switches back, so you get to enjoy LH J while your wife gets bumped back into PEY?!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: TK *G, HHonors Gold, UA 0.547MM and ex-1K but we gave up on each other
Flying SIN-HKG on a 772 and Seatguru says Business is 2-3-2. Any advice on the bulkhead seat 12A? It's next to the lavatory but would be worth it if there is more legroom.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Of the few times I've had the 77W scheduled for SIN-HKG, its been subbed for an A333 each time.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:48 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by bilofsky
Flying SIN-HKG on a 772 and Seatguru says Business is 2-3-2. Any advice on the bulkhead seat 12A? It's next to the lavatory but would be worth it if there is more legroom.
The legroom is good. The lav door will not interfere
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: SQ KFEG, SPG Gold, IHG Gold
PE vs. Regional Business

Anyone have recent data points in equipment swaps for HKG-SIN? I'm planning a BA reward flight on CX for TPE-HKG-SIN, and thinking about whether I should book PE or Business for the HKG-SIN leg.

How much of an upgrade is Regional Business over PE (which would be on a LH aircraft?)? Wondering if I should (a) book PE and and hope that I get upgraded to Business in the event of an equipment swap, or (b) just go with Regional Business (S$180 more).

Any advice is much appreciated.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by semislack
Anyone have recent data points in equipment swaps for HKG-SIN? I'm planning a BA reward flight on CX for TPE-HKG-SIN, and thinking about whether I should book PE or Business for the HKG-SIN leg.

How much of an upgrade is Regional Business over PE (which would be on a LH aircraft?)? Wondering if I should (a) book PE and and hope that I get upgraded to Business in the event of an equipment swap, or (b) just go with Regional Business (S$180 more).

Any advice is much appreciated.
I fly HKGSIN almost weekly, and over the past four trips or so, I've been switched out of the LH seat to the regional seat twice. Both were CX716 from SIN to HKG. I usually fly CX715 for HKGSIN, and that is almost always a regional business seat.

The difference between the PEY seat and regional J is negligible, and some would argue PEY is even more comfortable than the regional J. Furthermore, the food on CX business class is almost always awful, so you're not missing out on anything there.

If PEY were available for redemption, I would take it with no qualms whatsoever. Take PEY, hope for an upgrade, and save your miles and money and use it somewhere else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.