Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Seating on the aircraft now. Yellow warning just now. Now priority is given to incoming aircraft. Was told at least another 45min
Old May 9, 2014, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
If you are so unhappy with the planes CX use why on earth do you keep flying CX ? just fly SQ instead. I mean for about 150 USD you can get rtn tickets on scoot or jetstar.

Last edited by mayodave; May 12, 2014 at 4:32 am
Old May 9, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Not SIN-HKG, but the onward leg to CMB- 711/09May- fail!

Seemingly minor issue, but crew timed out. As of now, a 15h delay- I'd be on that getting stretched!
Old May 9, 2014, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by brunos
I have been flying HKG-SIN in J a few times recently.

On CX you mostly get a poor regional seat (some Russian roulette chances) where you can hardly up your feet or recline and 2x3x2 in 777, and miserable video. On SQ you get either a longhaul ac (77W and A380) with no Russian roulette, or an excellent lie-flat regional, 2x2x2 on 777, excellent video. When I am sited over 4 hours (from boarding to unboarding), I like to lie down after a meal and either nap after work or watch a movie. CX is totally uncompetitive.

I understand that corporate contracts and FFP are major determinants. But some pax, like me, have the choice and I cannot see how I would pay the huge Business fare on a poor CX regional seat.
I believe that CX has now invested in the best (or among the best) longhaul products in F, J, PE and Y. But it lags SQ on its HKG-SIN run in J. Its regional product, even the new one, might be sufficient on most other routes, but not to SIN.
Does it bug you that much to fly on a sh seat for 4 hour non redeye???
Old May 9, 2014, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaka
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Maybe it doesn't matter to you, but "for the rest of us ticket price do account for food drink ife quality vs seat flight time etc. and for some, toilet and fa too"
Old May 10, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by kaka

I am always a bit surprised on this forum that people react to the slightest criticism of CX in agressive manner, rather than argue the facts.

Yes kaka, I must be a weirdo to fly in J for business or to try to choose the best product. I also try to choose the best meal in a restaurant for a given price, or the best restaurant for that price. And when I pay some 15,000 I try to get the best J product. That's why competition is good.

An yes Mayodave, I do choose SQ J on that run unless CX is much cheaper (which it is not) or SQ is full.

Again, I love CX longhaul J and F, and fly them extensively, but I find their regional J product well behind SQ.
Old May 10, 2014, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
I am always a bit surprised on this forum that people react to the slightest criticism of CX in agressive manner, rather than argue the facts.

Yes kaka, I must be a weirdo to fly in J for business or to try to choose the best product. I also try to choose the best meal in a restaurant for a given price, or the best restaurant for that price. And when I pay some 15,000 I try to get the best J product. That's why competition is good.

An yes Mayodave, I do choose SQ J on that run unless CX is much cheaper (which it is not) or SQ is full.

Again, I love CX longhaul J and F, and fly them extensively, but I find their regional J product well behind SQ.
must be me being the weird one who thinks regioJ is a better seat than cirrus. anything that doesnt point me forward makes me feel sick. literally....
Old May 10, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
I'm looking at booking HKG-SIN on QF as part of a RTW points redemption and was wondering whether I should choose a flight with A333 or 777 listed? I know chances of a swap are high, but assuming I get what's listed, what would be better?
Old May 10, 2014, 11:07 pm

I just sat on SQ B772 on SIN - DPS. It is quite bad also. small screen similar to old cx 773 or a333. But at this this one is AVOD compare to jon AVOD on CX. I remember couple years back I flew SIN CGK on Sq B772 and it was non AVOD. Not sure if they are still around
Old May 10, 2014, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by mayodave
If you are so unhappy with the planes CX use why on earth do you keep flying CX ? just fly SQ instead. I mean for about 150 USD you can rtn tickets on scoot or jetstar.
Coz CX lounge in HKG is much better even compare to SQ KF lounge in SIN, not to mention SQ lounge in HKG is sucks big time. let see what will transform after renovation
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Any frequent travellers on this route care to update the situation? Recently went on HKG-SIN-HKG three times, all without equipment swaps. Am I being optimistic?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:55 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jdtravels
Any frequent travellers on this route care to update the situation? Recently went on HKG-SIN-HKG three times, all without equipment swaps. Am I being optimistic?
I flew CX 635 HKG-SIN on 21st May.

When booking, the A333 shown was refurbished with the new J product - OK, not the Cirrus like when I last flew CX 635 but at least it would have new IFE.

Aircraft was switched to a non-refurbished A333 with a terrible seat. Departure was delayed as the engineers were fixing the IFE system behind seats 19A/C. Once we did pushback, one minute into the safety video the system failed again and a manual safety demonstration was performed.

There was no IFE throughout the aircraft the entire way there.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Was shared recently by the CX Marketing team in SG that by end of this year, they are going to phase out the old A330 planes for SIN-HKG-SIN route. Hopefully this will be the case.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by hclee01
Was shared recently by the CX Marketing team in SG that by end of this year, they are going to phase out the old A330 planes for SIN-HKG-SIN route. Hopefully this will be the case.
IIRC, the A330 refit is almost completed.

http://flyerguide.com/Cathay_Pacific_(CX)_Fleet

It appears that only HLV is still not refitted and as I am booking my Sep SIN>>>PVG hop, most are showing 33Z configs. So all the best for a longhaul cameo
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by jdtravels
I'm far from a frequent traveler on this route but booked F on CX690 (77W) May 31 and had no equipment substitution. I wish that the flight was longer. A two hour post lunch nap would have been nice. It seemed like a push to get the full service in during the four hours. The champagne on this flight was my favorite the whole trip. I think it the 05 Deutz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.