Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-HKG equipment lottery [Regional Equipment Swaps]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:58 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
S

Also, are there any other factors that contribute to a substitution other then the intended frame going tech?

TIA
Another factor is loads. If there is a flight with low loads, and another flight which is overbooked, if the low loads flight aircraft has more seats than the overbooked flight, they will try to swap them if operationally possible.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:46 pm

Also, are there any other factors that contribute to a substitution other then the intended frame going tech?

TIA
Regional aircraft rotation is a combination of aircraft timings, passenger and cargo loads. You may notice a 744 flying half empty on say a Manila flight and wonder why. Well that 747 might only have a few hours spare during the day to fly a regional trip before a longhaul is scheduled for it, and rather than have it sit on the ground, it does a quick trip and frees up a regionally configured plane to do a longer trip. Certain aircraft carry more cargo and might be more suited to some routes even though the loads may seem light in the passenger cabin. Depending on the cargo, a passenger plane can fly with zero passengers and still make money. On some routes the passenger loads are not that important at all!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: Free Agent
How do you folks handle advance seat assignments knowing the aircraft lottery could happen? I currently have solo window seats on the 3 class 1-2-1 HKG-SIN-HKG config but would prefer the middle bank if the plane goes 2 class 2-2-2. But don't want to change unless I need to...
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
I flew CX364 the other day to PVG which for weeks out until around 2 hours before departure was scheduled for a 77Z. Then I stopped checking. When I boarded the aircraft imagine my shock at seeing a 777 instead (meaning regional 777-200). Sometimes the sub happens as late as the gate!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by midlevels
I flew CX364 the other day to PVG which for weeks out until around 2 hours before departure was scheduled for a 77Z. Then I stopped checking. When I boarded the aircraft imagine my shock at seeing a 777 instead (meaning regional 777-200). Sometimes the sub happens as late as the gate!
It shudders me. When are they decommissioning the 772s anyway. I rather they keep the 74Ks and kill the 772s. After all they have 5 or the 772s and 9 of the 74Ks should be a no brainier swop.

That's being said, hoping that my May 1 HKG SIN changes back to a 33G
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
How bad is BKK? I am booked to fly on a 77W early in may both ways in First. If they downgrade, what kind of comp can I expect? Loads are already decent in both flights on F - showing F3A3 on 1 and F2A2 on the other - does having a better load in F help in terms of change of aircraft or do they only look at EY/J loads on such flights and not bother with the 5-6 pax who could be booked in F?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
I am booked 1st week May using redemptions (AA as part of a transpac and back on BA) SIN-HKG-SIN... In Z First class. Any idea what will happen if they do an equipment swap in terms of compensation by CX?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by avm2806
I am booked 1st week May using redemptions (AA as part of a transpac and back on BA) SIN-HKG-SIN... In Z First class. Any idea what will happen if they do an equipment swap in terms of compensation by CX?
I seem to recall reading on this board that the compensation is quite a pittance for mileage redemption tickets, and a hefty cash amount (basically the difference between full F and full J fares) for revenue tickets.

Unrelated, PEY->Y doesnt seem to have been following that...though evidence here that CX is starting to accomodate those passengers in J now.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:11 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Unrelated, PEY->Y doesnt seem to have been following that...though evidence here that CX is starting to accomodate those passengers in J now.
Some people mention a future upgrade coupon on top of the USD 40 compensation, but others don't. If you do get a future upgrade coupon, I think it's fair compensation.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Some people mention a future upgrade coupon on top of the USD 40 compensation, but others don't. If you do get a future upgrade coupon, I think it's fair compensation.
I would agree - that would be exactly what I'd expect / be looking for. Hopefully it won't come to that and I can enjoy my CX flights in First!
Old May 4, 2014, 2:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Thanks guys!

By the way, anyone know whether the regional 772s have the new regional J seats yet? One of my flights are on that... dreading those old armchairs, although I am prepared for the worst.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by jdtravels
Thanks guys!

By the way, anyone know whether the regional 772s have the new regional J seats yet? One of my flights are on that... dreading those old armchairs, although I am prepared for the worst.
No. The 772 refit won't be due till later this year after they are done with the 333s. I just came back to SIN on HND and you are right, the armchairs are dreaded.
Old May 4, 2014, 7:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
No. The 772 refit won't be due till later this year after they are done with the 333s. I just came back to SIN on HND and you are right, the armchairs are dreaded.
Here's one instance when I actively wish for the equipment lottery. And fingers crossed, it lands on the A330, preferably the one with the Cirrus seat
Old May 4, 2014, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I love those armchairs - as long as u dun get those hrd pads with the headrest sticking out a mile
Old May 4, 2014, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by jdtravels
Here's one instance when I actively wish for the equipment lottery. And fingers crossed, it lands on the A330, preferably the one with the Cirrus seat
Tell me about it. My 5/2 CX659 got swapped out from a 77Z to the 772. Really wished they could put the 772s in for the refit soon. They have been making their appearance in SIN too often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.