Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TalkFlyer
The card couldn't be read by the machine even tried few attempts & tried in different shops.
Mine only in HK on Sat & Sun but the same problem & I called CS hotline then being asked to go to the branch in person for change a new card.
I had the same problems during my visit to Japan on Jan and Apr 2014. Cards were replaced, but problem still exists. Quite a lot of merchants in Hokkaido don't have the new style credit card machine which accepts IC Chip cards, so some bonus points had to be given up... So far no problem in other places though..
Old May 1, 2014, 6:38 pm

Does the table need to be updated to indicate the new SCB World Miles card allows for free redemptions?
Old May 2, 2014, 3:42 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ny911
I had the same problems during my visit to Japan on Jan and Apr 2014. Cards were replaced, but problem still exists. Quite a lot of merchants in Hokkaido don't have the new style credit card machine which accepts IC Chip cards, so some bonus points had to be given up... So far no problem in other places though..
Yes, missus just hit same problem with non-chip terminals at outlets in Sapporo. Fortunately she didn't blow over $10,000 and our hotel has a chip reader terminal.

Re theworld: done

Last edited by percysmith; May 4, 2014 at 7:52 pm
Old May 4, 2014, 11:36 am

A bit OT, me & my friend experienced the Cr. Card problem during they are changing the new look of the cards. My friend was in Japan to expect x8 pt...!
Originally Posted by ny911
Originally Posted by percysmith
Yes, missus just hit same problem with non-chip terminals at outlets in Sapporo. Fortunately she didn't blow over $10,000 and our hotel has a chip reader terminal.
(the $10,000 was a reference to HSBC Red Hot Travel Special 8 Apr-11 May)

Further problems yesterday.
I got to see my missus use the Fubon card in front of me. It's an old-style Fubon Plat Visa
The account is definitely OK - we checked out on her card with card reader.

Pharmacy in Sapporo station - magstripe reader only - Fubon Plat Visa no go. Missus paid with CCB.

The most interesting is gas station near CTS where we filled up our rental prior to return. Again magstripe reader only - missus' Fubon Plat Visa no go, but my *new* Fubon Plat MC worked.

I didn't plan to declare this month as a 8X month, I might need 8X for Christmas so missus did as many transactions as she could.

Also, on a side trip to Korea, my Fubon Plat MC worked with every card terminal used. Korea is magstripe only.

Last edited by percysmith; May 4, 2014 at 8:07 pm
Old May 4, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Strangely, my HSBC chip card was rejected at the McDonald counter in HKIA when I just arrived yesterday. Had to use cash to settle the bill. Seriously????
Old May 4, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
Strangely, my HSBC chip card was rejected at the McDonald counter in HKIA when I just arrived yesterday. Had to use cash to settle the bill. Seriously????
IIRC they have paywave/octopus there...
(that being said I almost never eat in the terminal thanks to lounge access.)
Old May 4, 2014, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
IIRC they have paywave/octopus there...
(that being said I almost never eat in the terminal thanks to lounge access.)
You mean there is no card terminal, or the card terminal didn't work?

If the latter, McDonalds terminals have a history of being iffy http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=11857&p=1

And KFC's Fubon terminals too for the matter.

Last edited by percysmith; May 4, 2014 at 8:04 pm
Old May 4, 2014, 8:04 pm

A bit OT, me & my friend experienced the Cr. Card problem during they are changing the new look of the cards. My friend was in Japan to expect x8 pt...!
The card couldn't be read by the machine even tried few attempts & tried in different shops.
Mine only in HK on Sat & Sun but the same problem & I called CS hotline then being asked to go to the branch in person for change a new card.
TalkFlyer - can I clarify the Japan incidents were with old Fubon cards? Any better with replacement card (c.f. ny911)?

P.S. is yours a Visa by any chance? Ppl in hongkongcard.com says old and new MCs are fine...

Last edited by percysmith; May 4, 2014 at 10:34 pm
Old May 6, 2014, 11:04 am

TalkFlyer - can I clarify the Japan incidents were with old Fubon cards? Any better with replacement card (c.f. ny911)?

P.S. is yours a Visa by any chance? Ppl in hongkongcard.com says old and new MCs are fine...
Both mine & my friend's were the OLD MC cards having problems.
New cards are fine & I just returned fr TPE yesterday to get the x20 pt. Sorry for scared you out!
Old May 8, 2014, 1:48 am

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=11401&p=1
(T&C added 10 Dec: http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/mediafile...f_18569_en.pdf)

Registration at 2132 9939
No need to select target (so a admin fee option will not be avaliable...)

4K - < 8K 3X
8K - < 16K 4X
16K - < 24K 5X
>=24K - 8X ie extra 7X (other cards 7X ie extra 6X)
ie promotion for Plat and Diamond maxes out at 250,000 points or $35,715 spending, which is extra 7X

CAP at 250,000 at each phase
Phase 1 : 11/ 15 -12 / 14
Phase 2 : 12/ 15 -1 / 14
Phase 3 : 1/ 15 -2 / 14

Extra bonuses:
- 26,000 for hitting 24K spending target (all cards including all Visas and Unionpays) (ie promo max 776,000 extra points for all cards except Diamond Unionpay below)
- further 24,000 for Diamond Unionpay (promo max 800,000 extra points for Diamond Unionpay)

Rebate in May

Count: local spending >=$400, foreign non-DCC spending >=$400
Not count: AAVS, postal fax phone orders, cash advance (triple confirmed! "I have the T&C in front of me), bill payment
770,000-800,000 points received on my five cards http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...?id=11401&p=14 #131
Old May 8, 2014, 9:15 pm

Fubon 10X offer on 10/5, 10/6 and 10/7 (exactly those dates)

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=12154
http://www.hongkongcard.com/webedito...0415_73164.jpg

Min $600 spending
Limit of extra 15,000 points per day (...), so spend $1,875 on 10/5 max and 1,666.67 max on 10/6 and 10/7 if you're so inclined...
Old May 8, 2014, 9:27 pm

HSBC 800/300RC welcome offer to 8 Aug

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=12152
http://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/2/special/cards/prom221
http://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/2/special/cards/prom221a

New cardholders: 800RC (12,000 AM) for $10,000 spending in first two months after card issuance plus extra 8X RC (extra $2.08/mile) for first three months' spending (up to another 800RC/12,000AM)
Existing cardholders: 300RC (4,500 AM) for $5,000 spending in first two months after card issuance

Existing cardholders:
Must not have both HSBC Plat Visa and Gold Visa - apply for one of them
Cannot have cut cards on or after 1 October 2013 (damn! this tripped me up)
Old May 9, 2014, 9:46 am

Dear PercySmith,

I recently applied for HSBC CUP. I would like to know whether my HSBC Diamond CUP works for this strategy as well?

Thanks,

Tim

Originally Posted by dgittings
Just to echo the last poster: Many thanks to percysmith for identifying such an awesome mile earning strategy. I stupidly failed to apply for a CCB card in time for this round of tax payments and so want to make sure I'm ready for the next round of payments in April (hope they don't close the loophole before then?!). Just a couple of quick questions which I can't find the answers to in the earlier posts:

Will HSBC Premier Mastercard work for this strategy as well? (The thread only mentions HSBC Platinum)

And which CCB card is it best to apply for? The basic Unionpay Dual Currency Credit Card? Or the one with Octopus as well?

Also what's your advice about whether or not to fill in the box that asks for my Asiamiles number on the application form (does leaving this blank make it easier to transfer to other people's Asiamiles accounts?) and on whether to opt for first year free enrollment of Instant Travel Club (I seem to remember reading something about how you can avoid the Year 2 fee if you delay this by two months?)
Old May 9, 2014, 9:49 am

Tim: yes
Old May 10, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: CX MPC
Fubon 10X offer

[url]Min $600 spending
Limit of extra 15,000 points per day (...), so spend $1,875 on 10/5 max and 1,666.67 max on 10/6 and 10/7 if you're so inclined...
Any need to register for the Fubon 10X offer? I don't see anything on their Web site (even in Chinese).

And, many thanks once again to percysmith, for the awesome CCB CUP-HSBC tax payment trick. Everything posted correctly, and I just earned the equivalent of 30,000 miles on my wife and mine tax bills.

Any more news on them closing this loophole? Can only hope it's still around for next year's tax bills.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.