Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:33 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
20% redemption bonus for Avios 1 Jul-14 Sep

Little OT for AM but I'm sure I'm not the only one redeeming Avios for CX flights

Repeat of last year-end deal - see "Travel Merchants Offers"

(I've noticed I've started a new page with this post. Please do not omit to read up on the other following offers in the past 24 hours:

CCB Summer Free promo 1 Jul-30 Sep 14 (JP/KR/TW $1.53/mile HK/PRC $2.67/mile)
HSBC $1.23/mile overseas spend promo 1 Jul-16 Sep 14

HSBC also released their summer Red Hot Festival for July and August this year but unfortunately there is no RC so no miles)

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 8, 2014 at 10:53 am
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=12404&p=1
http://www.asia.ccb.com/hongkong/pro...snr/index.html
http://www.asia.ccb.com/hongkong/pro...p_snr/tnc.html

Taiwan, Japan, Korea: 11X (with 2K threshhold) = up to $1.53/mile= (@ $0.1/mile) 6.55%

China and ***HK***(my emphasis): 6X (with 2K threshhold) = up to $2.67/mile = (@ $0.1/mile) = 3.75%
Small but unwelcome development - AIA Plat CUP can now only be applied through AIA agent (no longer available through http://www.asia.ccb.com/hongkong/per..._credit_cards/ )

Valid CCB CUP cards for CCB Summer Free promo - AIA Plat CUP, core Plat CUP, Pui Ching CUP (no need to prove you are associated with the school in any way again)

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 1, 2014 at 1:45 am
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
wiki updated to include BEA Flyer World Master, and cards that are by Invitation only / applied in lieu with an Account
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:00 pm

http://www.citibank.com.hk/english/b...cmp=E-BK-CPAYA

Not strictly a credit card offer, but those of us who are eligible to apply for HK credit cards are likely to have HK payroll that can be moved over to Citi.

Extended for Jul-Sep 14 under substantially the same rules https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...ll-account.htm
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:48 am

Hi Percysmith,

Need some advice as I am new here. I have a Citi premier miles and Amex Cathay pacific - would these be the best cards for conversion to AM? What's the better/ best card for overseas spending? Is there a difference in terms of rate of confusion to asiamiles for Citi prestige and premier miles? Thank you.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 2:48 am

Marcusboy:

Basic earn rates for citi pm and cx elite are the same (local $8/mile, overseas $4/mile)

Only differences are citi pm will be a lot more accepted as it is a visa. But beware citi does not count china and Macau as overseas for points earning purposes (despite collecting foreign currency translation fees)

Citi prestige has a better local earn rate than either of them - $6/mile. It will still have similar acceptance like citi pm cos it's mastercard
Old Jul 5, 2014, 3:56 am

Thanks Percysmith for this. Would you advise me to get the citi prestige? I just checked their website - the welcome offer of 40k asiamiles and the anantara hotel for 2 has expired. Would need to see if they have a good offer for July.

Thank you.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by marcusboy
Thanks Percysmith for this. Would you advise me to get the citi prestige? I just checked their website - the welcome offer of 40k asiamiles and the anantara hotel for 2 has expired. Would need to see if they have a good offer for July.

Thank you.
It's been renewed to 30 sep http://www.citibank.com.hk/global_do...dc-master.html

You won't get the anantara cos you are an existing pm holder. You'll get the 30k for $2500 annual fee plus 10k am for 20k spending only
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:41 am

Thanks Percysmith for this. I spoke to citi's customer service prior to seeking your advice and was told that the offer has ended and I was entitled to the anantara stay. Do you think it is is worth paying $2500 without anantara? Any other credit card offers you can recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:03 am

Marcuslai: ...? Bet you can't a second customer service who'll say that.

The inbound sales and most canto cs I spoke too were quite clear we pm holders are entitled to 30k am on $2500 annual fee payment/10k am on 20k spend and *not* the anantara. The anantara is the hardest welcome gift to get cos you have to be both 12-months new of all citi cards and willing to pay $2,500 annual fee.

(I say "most" because I too encounter some CS on the canto line who'll completely make stuff up no matter what)
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Little OT for AM but I'm sure I'm not the only one redeeming Avios for CX flights

Repeat of last year-end deal - see "Travel Merchants Offers"

(I've noticed I've started a new page with this post. Please do not omit to read up on the other following offers in the past 24 hours:

CCB Summer Free promo 1 Jul-30 Sep 14 (JP/KR/TW $1.53/mile HK/PRC $2.67/mile)
HSBC $1.23/mile overseas spend promo 1 Jul-14 Sep 14

HSBC also released their summer Red Hot Festival for July and August this year but unfortunately there is no RC so no miles)
Which one is the 20% off Avios redemption....CCB or HSBC?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Hsbc to avios
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:45 pm

It's strange. I got the Anantara package in January and I am an existing holder of Citi Premiermiles, Diners Club and Citi Rewards Card.

It's been renewed to 30 sep http://www.citibank.com.hk/global_do...dc-master.html

You won't get the anantara cos you are an existing pm holder. You'll get the 30k for $2500 annual fee plus 10k am for 20k spending only
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Timothy Lin
It's strange. I got the Anantara package in January and I am an existing holder of Citi Premiermiles, Diners Club and Citi Rewards Card.
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...?id=10062&p=48 #477

Telesales who handled my Prestige confirmed I don't get the Anantara offer because Premiermiles preceded Prestige.

As for 2013 offer: "oh yes, there was just that *one* month in 2013 (I think she meant December 2013) where even old customers got Anantara"
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:39 am

Yes, I applied for my Prestige Card in late 2013 and got the Anantara Package in January 2014. Perhaps that's why.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.