Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Besides I need an Amex card with some sort of overseas earn in case I encounter non-avoidable DCC at some fxcked merchant.
Hi Percysmith, would explain about this Amex - DCC issue? I'm going to cut my CX Amex and wonder if I need to apply for another Amex for some purpose.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:17 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Chiccathy: see Wikipost of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...er-thread.html

With Visas and MCs, your RMB can be converted at $1.3 and your USD at $8.1 under DCC.

Amex is immune to it, so if you happen to have to pay a merchant who can't/won't turn off DCC you can tell the merchant to void the Visa/MC slip and present an Amex for payment as well.

Unionpay will do as well, but it is not that widely accepted outside China or tourist traps for Mainland tourists. Also Unionpay's owner/member banks are the worst perpetrators of DCC in China, so using Unionpay to avoid DCC is double defeatism.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:24 am

Chiccathy: see Wikipost of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...er-thread.html

With Visas and MCs, your RMB can be converted at $1.3 and your USD at $8.1 under DCC.

Amex is immune to it, so if you happen to have to pay a merchant who can't/won't turn off DCC you can tell the merchant to void the Visa/MC slip and present an Amex for payment as well.

Unionpay will do as well, but it is not that widely accepted outside China or tourist traps for Mainland tourists. Also Unionpay's owner/member banks are the worst perpetrators of DCC in China, so using Unionpay to avoid DCC is double defeatism.
Thanks for the tip. So is DCC issue an only cutting edge of Amex? You believe I'd better keep one Amex?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:52 am

Kawaii - shouldn't require re-registration in theory.

I enrolled my mum as an 2012-13 Overseas 6X when she was my sub at first, although due to 800RC welcome offer last July she applied to be a principal in her own right. She received a renewal letter as an 2014-15 Overseas 6X last year but I can't tell whether she was renewed as my sub or as a principal (or whether it doesn't matter).
To avoid any misunderstanding, if the supp card and priciple card are for the same cardholder, but not the same card account, no double registration is needed, and the same category and cap apply. If the prin card and supp cards are in the same card account but for different person, e.g. A is prin and get a sub card for B, both cards need to be registered seperately and different category can be chosen and a seperate cap applies.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by LchChester
To avoid any misunderstanding, if the supp card and priciple card are for the same cardholder, but not the same card account, no double registration is needed, and the same category and cap apply. If the prin card and supp cards are in the same card account but for different person, e.g. A is prin and get a sub card for B, both cards need to be registered seperately and different category can be chosen and a seperate cap applies.
Oh, I see. My situation is the latter case (I have the principal card, getting a supplemental card for the wife) - but I think she'll just sign up for the same category as me anyway (given that she is the supp on all of my cards, within the grand scheme of having a card for most categories and dumping everything else on DBS MC).
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:24 am

kawaii: why have same category? If you live and spend as a couple, isn't it better to acquire two different categories of 6X?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:07 am

kawaii: why have same category? If you live and spend as a couple, isn't it better to acquire two different categories of 6X?
I travel a lot, so while we generally live/spend as a couple, there are also times when I'm on the road and she'd be lacking a card for dining expenses. Also, looking over the other categories, I've got it mostly covered except for overseas (Citibank Rewards for Supermarket/Telecom, DBS for other retail, Bankcomm for AAVS). For overseas (basically, anything not RMB or HKD), I would default to using my US CSP anyway, just to avoid the foreign exchange fee (although I think the earn would be better at 1m/$2.78 vs. 1m/$7.75).

So, maybe it makes sense for her HSBC to be overseas instead. Hmmm. I'll give it some thought. Opinions welcome.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:18 am

kawaii: OIC. Yeah sometimes my missus asks too "how do I pay for this"

She's gone onto Home - we purchase maximum amount of coupons under HSBC's Mannings offers, which means we put $20K every half year into our HSBCs. The 6X on those spending comes for free if 6X is Home.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 8:58 am

HSBC 5X and Fridays 11X

Hi Percysmith and Kawaii,

May I ride on your discussion on setting the 5x and 11X categories?

Hubby recently got an HSBC Premier MC and applied for a supp card for me. Now we need to register for our categories. The only categories that would be useful for us would be Dining (though it would be helpful to know the merchant codes for Hotel and Restaurant, as we do a fair bit of dining in hotels) and Overseas.

Do I understand correctly that principal and supp cardholders cannot pool together the points for the Mileage program? In other words, do hubby and I need to register and pay ($300 each) for the Mileage program separately?

Is it right that he can set his designated category as Dining and I can set mine for Overseas?

For overseas spending, to hit the Friday 11x, do they count the time of transaction (most of my transactions are made on US websites, sometimes Europe)? Do I go by HK time or the time of the merchant (so confusing as there are many time zones even within the US)? If it were dependent on the time the merchant posted the bill, I would have no control whether I hit the 11x timeframe or not.

Also want to clarify the Fubon Elite Visa accrual rate. According to Percysmith's wiki, it accrues 1 mile per $3 for overseas and 1 mile per $6 for bills>$300 paid on weekend. Here are my questions:

1. This has been my go-to card for overseas, but their cash coupons are attractive so I haven't been spending the $$ to convert to miles - did I shortchange myself?
2. For normal retail during weekdays, the earning rate is 1 mile per $15, right?
3. Does 1 mile per $6 apply for all spending categories during the weekend? Though this question will become moot soon as I just applied for DBS Black MC to replace my DBS Black AE. Just too many AE rejections in Hong Kong. Duh.

Thanks guys.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:00 am

HSBC continued...

Btw, once I register for the designated category under my and hubby's HSBC cards, are we allowed to change it anytime we like, or is it a pain to do so? Thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:45 am

"Hubby recently got an HSBC Premier MC and applied for a supp card for me. Now we need to register for our categories. The only categories that would be useful for us would be Dining (though it would be helpful to know the merchant codes for Hotel and Restaurant, as we do a fair bit of dining in hotels) and Overseas."

Restaurant: 5812 dining, 5813 bars and 5814 fast food
Hotel: not defined by HSBC. The risk is a restaurant in a hotel codes as the hotel's mcc instead of 5812 (cases in point - ritz carlton restaurants, shangri la restaurants and marriott reataurants)

"Do I understand correctly that principal and supp cardholders cannot pool together the points for the Mileage program? In other words, do hubby and I need to register and pay ($300 each) for the Mileage program separately? "

Principal can redeem his supp for Asia Miles. Not Avios though.

"Is it right that he can set his designated category as Dining and I can set mine for Overseas?"

Correct

"For overseas spending, to hit the Friday 11x, do they count the time of transaction (most of my transactions are made on US websites, sometimes Europe)? Do I go by HK time or the time of the merchant (so confusing as there are many time zones even within the US)? If it were dependent on the time the merchant posted the bill, I would have no control whether I hit the 11x timeframe or not."

HSBC told someone here (Canucks I think) that it is by HKT. Personally I'm skeptical - I think promos are incredibly manual and the transaction time is by local time.

"Also want to clarify the Fubon Elite Visa accrual rate. According to Percysmith's wiki, it accrues 1 mile per $3 for overseas and 1 mile per $6 for bills>$300 paid on weekend. Here are my questions:

1. This has been my go-to card for overseas, but their cash coupons are attractive so I haven't been spending the $$ to convert to miles - did I shortchange myself?"

I would think so.

I usually end up with 240k points a year
That would be $1,200
Or 20k am less $250
Each mile $0.0725
I'd go for miles at that price

"2. For normal retail during weekdays, the earning rate is 1 mile per $15, right?"

$12 per mile

"3. Does 1 mile per $6 apply for all spending categories during the weekend?"

Yes

"Though this question will become moot soon as I just applied for DBS Black MC to replace my DBS Black AE. Just too many AE rejections in Hong Kong. Duh."

$6/mile should be the new min earn rate now, given the fee-free DBS world card

"Btw, once I register for the designated category under my and hubby's HSBC cards, are we allowed to change it anytime we like, or is it a pain to do so? Thanks."

Can't change
Old Jun 14, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: CX GR
"Hubby recently got an HSBC Premier MC and applied for a supp card for me. Now we need to register for our categories. The only categories that would be useful for us would be Dining (though it would be helpful to know the merchant codes for Hotel and Restaurant, as we do a fair bit of dining in hotels) and Overseas."

Restaurant: 5812 dining, 5813 bars and 5814 fast food
Hotel: not defined by HSBC. The risk is a restaurant in a hotel codes as the hotel's mcc instead of 5812 (cases in point - ritz carlton restaurants, shangri la restaurants and marriott reataurants)

"Do I understand correctly that principal and supp cardholders cannot pool together the points for the Mileage program? In other words, do hubby and I need to register and pay ($300 each) for the Mileage program separately? "

Principal can redeem his supp for Asia Miles. Not Avios though.

"Is it right that he can set his designated category as Dining and I can set mine for Overseas?"

Correct

"For overseas spending, to hit the Friday 11x, do they count the time of transaction (most of my transactions are made on US websites, sometimes Europe)? Do I go by HK time or the time of the merchant (so confusing as there are many time zones even within the US)? If it were dependent on the time the merchant posted the bill, I would have no control whether I hit the 11x timeframe or not."

HSBC told someone here (Canucks I think) that it is by HKT. Personally I'm skeptical - I think promos are incredibly manual and the transaction time is by local time.

"Also want to clarify the Fubon Elite Visa accrual rate. According to Percysmith's wiki, it accrues 1 mile per $3 for overseas and 1 mile per $6 for bills>$300 paid on weekend. Here are my questions:

1. This has been my go-to card for overseas, but their cash coupons are attractive so I haven't been spending the $$ to convert to miles - did I shortchange myself?"

I would think so.

I usually end up with 240k points a year
That would be $1,200
Or 20k am less $250
Each mile $0.0725
I'd go for miles at that price

"2. For normal retail during weekdays, the earning rate is 1 mile per $15, right?"

$12 per mile

"3. Does 1 mile per $6 apply for all spending categories during the weekend?"

Yes

"Though this question will become moot soon as I just applied for DBS Black MC to replace my DBS Black AE. Just too many AE rejections in Hong Kong. Duh."

$6/mile should be the new min earn rate now, given the fee-free DBS world card

"Btw, once I register for the designated category under my and hubby's HSBC cards, are we allowed to change it anytime we like, or is it a pain to do so? Thanks."

Can't change
My girlfriend has once earned 6X for ritz carlton high tea, her card was new and with few transactions only so she is pretty sure
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:19 pm

Joecmtsang did she use a unionpay? Unionpay overrides hotel-specific (ritz Carlton) mcc

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 15, 2014 at 9:54 pm
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:33 pm

With DBS Black, I was reading my first statement - I got 4 DBS$ for 619HKD of spend. As far as I can tell on the website, I need 48DBS$ for 1000 AM. That works out to be 7.45HKD/mile (roughly). Am I missing something to get the 6HKD/AM? Or is there a separate miles program I need to register for with DBS first that converts spend directly to AMs @ 6HKD/AM rate, rather than accumulating as DBS$?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:55 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53)

Kawaii: it's just temporary rounding. You'll get one more dbs$ with $6.00 more spend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.