Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:43 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by srdshelly
And you could walk to other places from BRW too if you wanted to, but maybe you wouldn't want to in that weather. When I had a long flight delay out of BRW, I simply walked to the King Eider (not my hotel) and the very pleasant staff invited me to sit in the comfortable lobby chairs, have a cup of coffee and wait it out there instead of in the tiny airport packed with delayed travelers.
That was very nice of them. It's a cosy spot and infinitely better than the cramped terminal, which was incredibly packed on Christmas Eve with many people returning home.

It was a real experience walking out in that weather, and the view out toward the the Arctic Sea was beautiful.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 3:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Has anyone tried walking to MNL airport?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
I considered walking from EDSA (probably quicker than driving) but it's just too hot for me.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by benberg2013
Has anyone tried walking to MNL airport?
Originally Posted by jbjelloid
I considered walking from EDSA (probably quicker than driving) but it's just too hot for me.
Yes, MNL is toasty

But yes, I've walked from EDSA to catch UA's redeye to GUM. It was lateish at night, pavement hasn't fully cooled off, but I made my way to the closest terminal. Once there, I took the shuttle (20 Piso back then) to the terminal I actually needed (walk there a little too long).

Didn't feel unsafe, as there was lots of traffic going by all the time, but the sidewalks weren't great for my rollaboard carryon

As cheap as jeepneys are .... not scenec at all, doubt I'll do it in the future.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Florence

Last week I walked from the SM Novella train station in Florence out to FLR. It was a nice day but not a particularly inspiring route. Towards the end I had to double back when, due to construction, my sidewalk to turn into a freeway. (Thanks Google maps!) Ended up having to cross some major roads during rush hour, a little hairy but I survived. It took about 90 minutes in total. Probably wouldn't do it again.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:23 pm

President was in Dallas yesterday, so had an opportunity to walk to DAL to watch Air Force One take off ^

They sure keep that plane spotless, at least the outside of it that I saw.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:50 am

I just want to say that this is a genius thread!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I know that this may seem quite odd, but yesterday I had the train ride from FRA to central station.
It takes 11 minutes even with a couple of stops.
Of course cheaping out on 4,65 EUR might not justify the challenge, but anyone tried to walk or bike this distance?
Got to think of it also considering the rather green environment surrounding Frankfurt and apparently a park nearby the Arena stadium enroute.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:55 am

Not THAT green afaik, at least most parts of the way.

I would expect the walk (without luggage) to take 2hrs+, depending on your walking speed. Doable, yes. But unless you've plenty of time and feel like you actually want to walk for fun (nothing wrong with that) I'd probably not consider it.

If you've a bike available, it's totally possible. Around 30-40min. While I've never biked to/from FRA, I've done it several times to ZRH (they actually have very convenient Bike storage right next to the entrance / next to the bus station) - especially in spring-autumn, it's definitely an option for a weekend trip when you don't live too far away. Obviously, it's not for saving money (roughly 5 CHF in the case of ZRH for myself so about the same as FRA) but actually to do some sport to counter what you'll consume in the lounges and onboard
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
but anyone tried to walk or bike this distance?
How about run there and back?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Thanks Yurop and EmailKid.
ZRH is another candidate with comparable distance.
And glad for the folk who probably never had to run along the infamous A-B gates tunnel on a 1 hour connection like us mere mortals.
That alone would justify to pack the running gear.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:02 am

My only concern is that I was under the impression that walking to an airport was somehow not allowed, or even illegal. But I guess that's not the case?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gonebabygone
My only concern is that I was under the impression that walking to an airport was somehow not allowed, or even illegal. But I guess that's not the case?
Illegal? I haven't run into that yet. Usually the biggest barriers are sheer distance and controlled access highways.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:28 am

Why would it be illegal

In case of BKK, very complicated and perhaps impossible, not to mention very hot .... but others, like often mentioned SAN, very doable in (usually) pleasant weather.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:31 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jbjelloid
Illegal? I haven't run into that yet. Usually the biggest barriers are sheer distance and controlled access highways.
The security at both CGK and AMM made me hop in a stranger's car - not a taxi, though that's also a stranger... - to complete the trip to the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.