Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:38 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mookie10
Recently walked to ULN from my local Nishek area accommodation for an early morning flight. It took around 25 minutes walking along the main roads.
Though one CAN walk from ULN to somewhere, it's a significantly further distance to the downtown area. The new airport's location will eliminate the latter possibility.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: BA GGL
FAO (Faro, Portugal)

Walked to/from my hotel in Montenegro which took (me) about 30 mins each way. Some of you would probably have done it much quicker. Although along roads with footpaths it would be hard work with wheeled luggage as surfaces uneven and paths covered with parked cars. Another 45 mins or so to centre of Faro.

Didn’t technically save any money as I believe the hotel had a shuttle bus.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
Although along roads with footpaths it would be hard work with wheeled luggage as surfaces uneven and paths covered with parked cars.
Which is why I (usually) travel with convertible carryon that has hidden straps turning it into a back pack.

Allows me to use the wheels most of the time, and carry on backpack when needed - usually not too long as I tend to pack heavier than when in true backpacker mode, which I also do
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:49 am

As EmailKid suggests, a carryon with straps works great. Otherwise make sure to have a carryone that has good wheels! I have one from Ikea that has silicon wheels (sort of soft) that works well on many different floors and it's not terribly noisy (belive me, you do not want to be pulling a carry on with hard wheels on some city pavements at 3 o'clock at night unless you're in for some funny looks, xD
Old Sep 13, 2020, 10:39 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
In these dangerous times .....

I am more likely to think about walking or bicycling to my destination than going to the airport, no matter which way
jbjelloid likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.