Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:32 am
ssx

not walking all the way to the airport, but still:
BRU: taking train to Zaventem Dorp station and then walking for 20 minutes to the terminal is 6 euros cheaper than the train to Zaventem Airport.

similar story
EDI: walking to Ingliston Park & Ride and taking tram from there will save you ~4 pounds.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:11 am

Similar in MAD. When you walk to Alameda de Osuna (Not sure if it also works with Barajas, but possibly) you save 3€ for the airport surcharge.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:17 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Similar in MAD. When you walk to Alameda de Osuna (Not sure if it also works with Barajas, but possibly) you save 3€ for the airport surcharge.
I am not sure if I mentioned MAD or womeone else, but yes, you can save the airport surcharge if you get off Metro at the stop between the two terminals (township / suburb Barajas) and walk about 20 minutes (IIRC). Done it a few times thanks to cheap fares from US to MAD (haven't seen them lately).
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:32 am

Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (YTZ) is still my favorite. Landed on a beautiful summer afternoon, took the underground moving walkway to the mainland, then walked to our hotel. It was a weekend stay to catch a couple of ball games, so we packed light (backpacks), and walked from the hotel to the Rogers Centre for the Sunday afternoon tilt, then walked from Rogers Centre back to Billy Bishop for our flight back to IAD.

There's a free Porter shuttle bus that takes you from YTZ to the Royal York, but it's a pleasant walk in nice weather. Either way, it doesn't cost you a nickel.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:53 am
ssx

Tallinn / TLL - easy ~3km walk to the city

more exotic destination Kuressaare / URE - 20-25 minute walk to the town
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I have walked from Las Vegas, Lax, Boston, DCA to the city.

Las Vegas was difficult as there was actually a fence I had to climb!

not that I can not afford it but I like walking!

Originally Posted by Randomness
A while ago I walked to and from JNB from my backpacker hostel in Kempton Park. I wouldn't do it again as it wasn't a particularly pedestrian-friendly walk. I thought I would check it out though before trying with luggage, and I'm glad I did.
Brave man!

Last edited by EmailKid; Aug 22, 2017 at 4:07 pm Reason: Back to back posts
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta, HH Diamond, Marriott, AA Gold
Manila - Terminal 3

New walkway - "Runway Manila" connects from the food court on the upper level to Newport City and takes you over all the traffic in less than 10 minutes in air-conditioned comfort with a nice view. Walking to / from the other terminals would be interesting.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:49 am

If you're going to walk to and from the airport, make sure to do it with a suitcase that has wheels and a long handle you can pop up and push down with the push of a button on the handle.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Someone posted a 3 hour walk from PRG map which doesn't make sense.
IF you have to walk (which doesn't make much sense, as public transport tickets are like $1.50, just regular fare), you're much better off doing something like this:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/direct...0.0960/14.3439

The map takes you across the airport, rather interestingly, but just keep on the K Letisti road and it's OK. Saves about 20 minutes compared to weird Google suggestion.
You might neet to abuse some bikepaths to cross the highway junction though.

This one is about 5 minutes more, and takes you through a nice nature reserve. It looks like going through a field, but there is an asphalt pathway there.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/direct...0.0984/14.3440

BLQ: If you don't want to pay the outrageous price for BLQ airport express bus, and missed the once-an-hour 54 bus, you can walk for 15 minutes to reach a bus stop in Birra where regular city buses stop. All the way to the city centre is about an hour more.

https://goo.gl/Rqmkic
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk

Someone posted a 3 hour walk from PRG map which doesn't make sense.
If you are referring to the Wiki, it's open to be edited. I have edited a couple of routes, don't remember if I did that with PRG. But yes, it does not make sense to walk to town considering how cheap and easy it is to get to town, especially now that Metro has been extended even closer to the airport.

just keep on the K Letisti road and it's OK.
Seems that the check (Czech ) mark was left off s. I doubt too many would notice in this English speaking (typing) forum @:-)
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Seems that the check (Czech ) mark was left off s. I doubt too many would notice in this English speaking (typing) forum @:-)
On purpose. I don't have the proper keyboard layout on my work computer, and can't be bothered to do special characters
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:25 pm

I don't have the proper keyboard layout on my work computer, and can't be bothered to do special characters
I can never find @ symbol on keyboard when I travel outside Canada and US, so use copy / paste.

Easy enough to find a character that I might want

Originally Posted by zoznam.sk

VIDEO Žena si išla ráno zaplávať do mora
Select š, copy / paste @:-)

Yes, it's a little more work
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:46 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Did JTR (Santorini, Greece) the other day. Took about one hour (with luggage) from the Fira bus station. No sidewalk for most of the way, but then the last ten minutes near the airport were easy.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:00 am

Just got back from LAS, which has been reported as walkable, and probably is.

Instead of staying near the strip, I chose a hostel in what is called "downtown," though more likely the hostel was / is in homeless part of town.

So while it looked walkable on the map, it was over half hour by bus

From the southern part of the strip it looked a lot more walkable, but thanks to some savvy thrift store buys earlier in the trip my luggage (still ALL carryon, even with Spirit) was heavy, so I chose to take the bus again.

NOT

While it should have been every 20 minutes to half hour, it simply did not show up (do they recruit their drivers from DART in Dallas ), ended up grabbing a taxi so as to not miss the flight

Nine bucks, I was running late, and only made it with about 20 minutes to spare, so most likely a wise decision considering it there was no telling if / when bus was going to show up, and I would have had to start walking an hour earlier
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
Brave man!
Truthfully it didn't seem particularly dangerous except for a bit where I had to make my way down a sandy slope without a footpath. The whole area was not designed for walking. I wouldn't do it with any luggage. I ended up getting a rental car for the last few days and then returning it to the airport, which was much more practical.

But the neighborhood I walked through was relatively safe for the East Rand. Not that I'd try it at any time other than broad daylight.

Also, I agree with you about LAS. Not an easy walk. After trying it once I took the bus instead. On later visits I rented a car there as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.