Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:10 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
SAN sidewalk removed on north side for part of route

Originally Posted by Palal
I started a wiki with airport codes and maps. Feel free to add...
Anyone with enough posts can add to the Wiki.

A note on walk to SAN. For a large portion of walk along eastern part of airport property the sidewalk has been REMOVED. I know, just walked it.

Now granted, the sough side has nice landscaping and is nicer to walk, but if coming from Midtown station (the one right by Alamo rental car - I'm told soon to be at shard rental car facility) save having to cross a very busy street (yes, there are crossings with signals).
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:58 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Last week, I made the Hobbesian trek from KTM to Thamel. After sitting on planes all day, it...was actually a terrible idea.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:09 pm

Pretty sure Carlsbad, California was mentioned in this thread before. I walked there from Amtrak Coaster a couple or so years ago, alas UA Express ended flying there in April
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Malaga, Spain (AGP)

I walked from the Holiday Inn Express (AVENIDA DE VELAZQUEZ 290 JUNTO N340 MALAGA, 29004 to the the Malaga airport (AGP).

Rome2Rio shows it as 2.3 miles and 43 minutes, although it was hot and took me longer.

It isn't really downtown Malaga, more on the outskirts. There is bus service downtown though.

I walked more because I could figure out the timing, whereas I wasn't sure with the buses.

Romelle
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
Yyz

OP here. A couple weeks ago I was at YYZ for a Nexus interview and figured I'd finally try to walk out of my home airport. YYZ is located in the suburbs, 25K from downtown Toronto. It's surrounded by expressways and parking lots and except for hotels and chain restaurants there is really not much to do in the area.
Anyway, I thought I would see if I could get to the Westin hotel on foot. I started by asking at the tourist information office. The friendly fellow there said it was not possible but that I might be able to take the shuttle train to T3 and walk from there. This didn't seem right so I headed to the basement, walked outside and turned right, along the access road. I did pass one "no pedestrian access" sign but soon made my way out to Jetliner Blvd. I guess they don't see many pedestrians here because the Hilton shuttle van driver kindly stopped and asked me if I wanted a ride. I declined and within ten minutes I was walking along Airport Road toward the Westin where I caught a TTC bus for the ride to my home.
Thanks for all the posts and may 2016 hold many long flights... and short walks.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by jbjelloid
OP here.
Hey, great thread, FIVE + years and still going ^
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Just got back from Taipei.
It can hardly get better than Songshan (TSA), the city airport.
You name it: walking, MRT and even jogging riverside. A delight.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
It can hardly get better than Songshan (TSA), the city airport.
Sure, but don't most Int'l flights arrive at TPE?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:02 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Sure, but don't most Int'l flights arrive at TPE?
Yes, but it also conveniently serves several intl destinations in the region with Air China, ANA, EVA, JAL, with HND as the busiest route.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
The walk from BRW (Barrow, Alaska) to the King Eider Inn was literally just crossing the road.

My first walk from airport to hotel and a memorable one as it was -28 C.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Coathanger
The walk from BRW (Barrow, Alaska) to the King Eider Inn was literally just crossing the road.

My first walk from airport to hotel and a memorable one as it was -28 C.
And you could walk to other places from BRW too if you wanted to, but maybe you wouldn't want to in that weather. When I had a long flight delay out of BRW, I simply walked to the King Eider (not my hotel) and the very pleasant staff invited me to sit in the comfortable lobby chairs, have a cup of coffee and wait it out there instead of in the tiny airport packed with delayed travelers.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:45 am
Suspended

Three airport walking experiences on my latest trip:

1) ADD to the Bole area (Mr Martin's Cozy Place guesthouse), I did this walk back and forth, it's just over 3km and very pleasant in January weather - about 20-25C. Taxis FROM the airport are a huge rip off, even if you don't want to walk, just walk 10 minutes out of the airport and catch a much cheaper taxi.

2) DIR to African Village (via the centre of town, though there is a shorter way but I didn't know it for sure so I just took the long route) which was about 5km. DIR is much hotter than Addis so it wasn't as pleasant, but still a straightforward route. Then back to the airport from the Harar minibus station in Dire Dawa, that was about 7km.

3) Centre of Hargeisa to HGA. The taxi would have cost $20 so I said .... it and walked the 6/7km. There are several hills so it's not that pleasant. On two occasions shared taxis offered to take me the remaining 5km and then 2.5km for about $2 (though only close to the airport) but I decided to stick to walking to stay healthy.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Romelle
I walked from the Holiday Inn Express (AVENIDA DE VELAZQUEZ 290 JUNTO N340 MALAGA, 29004 to the the Malaga airport (AGP).

Rome2Rio shows it as 2.3 miles and 43 minutes, although it was hot and took me longer.

It isn't really downtown Malaga, more on the outskirts. There is bus service downtown though.

I walked more because I could figure out the timing, whereas I wasn't sure with the buses.

Romelle
When I'm looking it up now, Google says it is a 19-minute walk, and Rome2Rio says 20. Are the routes accurate? Were there actual sidewalks to walk on?

I had to pay 19 Euros for a short cab ride at 4 AM to AGP (Malaga), because the fixed rate is higher at night (otherwise the fixed rate is 15 Euros). I briefly considered the purported 45-minute walk from Tryp Guadalmar, but thought it would be crazy to try that in the middle of the night.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:04 am

Added Da Nang, Vientam, which I did walk and Chiang Mai, Thailand which I did not walk after considering walking. Both had perfectly safe and short walks to the airport.

Neither will save much money though. A taxi in Da Nang would have been about $4, maybe less for a moto. A tuk tuk in Chiang Mai was $3.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by WillTravel
When I'm looking it up now, Google says it is a 19-minute walk, and Rome2Rio says 20. Are the routes accurate? Were there actual sidewalks to walk on?

I had to pay 19 Euros for a short cab ride at 4 AM to AGP (Malaga), because the fixed rate is higher at night (otherwise the fixed rate is 15 Euros). I briefly considered the purported 45-minute walk from Tryp Guadalmar, but thought it would be crazy to try that in the middle of the night.
It has been several years, but as I recall I was able to follow the map from Rome2Rio. Some of the walk was bumpy or broken sidewalks. I had a roller bag, and am fairly senior. Mid-morning. I definitely wouldn't do it in the dark at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.