Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by geirfugl
What a pity,started to read and thought you flew into Germany,and walked to your destination in Holland to save money,that would have been something

BTW : it can be very windy around TOS airport,making walking rather unpleasant,I was born there,-well not in the airport,but close!
You can actually do that at NRN. I've done that a few times, years ago, walking from Holland to the airport in Germany and vice-verse. Saved about 18 euro per ride and it's good for condition training. Here's the route from NRN: At the exit of the terminal building, keep walking straight ahead, then turn right on the parking lot and keep walking (parallel to the runway, you should be now). There's a cyclist entrance there. Keep walking straight. At one point a road comes in from the right. Just keep walking straight until the road ends (just after crossing a small bridge). There you turn left and you keep walking for an hour or so. You should end up in Holland at a bus stop with regular services. The bus takes you either to Nijmegen or to Venlo. The bus costs between 1 and 4 euro.

Anyway, for what I've understood, there's a regular bus service now from NRN to the train station in Weeze, maybe even to other destinations in addition to the expensive shuttle bus services. From Weeze station you can also take a train to Kleve (and a bus to Holland) or Dusseldorf (and a train to Holland). It takes a bit more time, it even takes more time than walking, but it's much more comfortable, especially when it rains.

ps. I've been to TOS before. Always on expenses of the boss. I haven't seen much the city itself yet, which is a pity since Lonely Planet described it as 'the most happening city of Norway'. Time to have a look around, I'd say.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:38 pm

The OP reminds me of Will Self's 'Walking to New York' in his Psychogeography in which he walks from Stockwell in London to LHR then upon arrival at JFK from here to Manhattan. Not for budgetary motives, obviously.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:42 pm

I walked what is basically the length of the runway in Saint Thomas, the public transportation does not go by the airport terminal and the taxis are a rip-off.

My wife wanted to kill me halfway there but she was too tired...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Work in one of the office buildings near SNA. Park in the garage, 5 minutes walk to/from airport. Best airport arrangement I ever experienced.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Indeed.

As I posted upthread, walked to SNA from Airport Hilton and saw a couple of pilots do so from some hotel in the area.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Palm Springs

Transit doesn't go into the Palm Springs Airport, just near. Depending on the bus route, you might have to walk several blocks, as was the case this past spring. But it's a nice walk unless it's really hot, past the air conditioned break room for taxi drivers.

I'd booked a pricey UA standard award from PSP to SFO in a lousy Skywest CRJ-200, to avoid the even more pricey $440 OW fare during a music festival. My walk to the airport followed 152 miles backpacking on the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mexican border, two hitches from Santa Rosa Summit to Palm Desert with short waits, and two bus rides on Sunline Transit.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:42 pm

CHA airport is less than 1/2 mile from the Greyhound bus terminal. Just a short walk to catch the bus to Cleveland, TN.

Also walked from Amtrak's Edmonds, WA station to the Wash. State Ferry at Edmonds - about 1600 feet.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Concourse Hotel at LAX (former Radisson, now Hyatt) is arguably walkable, although they offer free shuttle service (tip expected).
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:05 pm

To me, most of the hotels east of LAX are walkable, though in my days of having to check a bag due to work I just took the shuttle.

But yes, on one of my layovers I walked to a Tuesday Morning store as I needed to purchase a coat to fly to IND in December after my vacation in HKG.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Walked home from SFO once...but I think it was like 5 miles to my house and I just was really in the mood to walk.

Had a friend who lived about 15 minutes walk from SNA, regularly would walk to and from her place when visiting.

Currently live about two miles from DAL...may walk that sometime, not sure how the sidewalk is once you get into the airport.

Living in Boston I would walk to the airport T station and then shuttle from there...not sure if that counts.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by gooseman13
Walked home from SFO once...but I think it was like 5 miles to my house and I just was really in the mood to walk.
I've walked from Enterprise rent a car once, and it was a little longer than I anticipated. Don't think my (at the time) employer appreciated the money I saved them over renting a car at airport

Currently live about two miles from DAL...may walk that sometime, not sure how the sidewalk is once you get into the airport.
The sidewalks inside the airport are great

If you are talking about sidewalks from Mockingbird Lane to/from Terminal, they are OK - I've done it many times. Just don't do it during day in the summer
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Cool thread.

MPH (Caticlan, Philippines) is a 10 minute walk to the ferry to Boracay.

MNL Terminal 3, for early arrivals, I've walked thru the parking lot across the road to McDonalds for breakfast, then grabbed a taxi to the city for half the cost of the airport taxis.

I think someone mentioned this ... CRK (Clark, Philippines), you can take a 10 peso jeepney from the 7-11 near SM Mall to the Fedex office, then walk 10 minutes to the airport terminal. This saves 500 pesos.

CGX (Meigs), you can walk to the loop in about 15 minutes. Oh wait, never mind, King Richard (Daley) bulldozed it in the dead of night in 2003, for the common good, of course.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA MM
Living in Boston I would walk to the airport T station and then shuttle from there...not sure if that counts.
I have walked through East Boston around the edge of the taxi parking lot, there is a nice promenade along the water. You end up at the Hyatt, which is also where the water taxi dock is, and then catch a short free shuttle bus ride in to the terminals.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Concourse Hotel at LAX (former Radisson, now Hyatt) is arguably walkable, although they offer free shuttle service (tip expected).
It is easy to walk from LAX to a bunch of hotels along and near Century Blvd. You can also walk Sepulveda from the intersection outside the airport over to the In-n-Out Burger with the planes flying overhead on final approach for fun.

Last edited by EmailKid; Nov 3, 2014 at 10:30 pm Reason: Back to back posts on same subject
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
You can also walk Sepulveda from the intersection outside the airport over to the In-n-Out Burger with the planes flying overhead on final approach for fun.
Yes, a whole thread about that in LA forum.

Saw a HUGE line of cars from the San Diego trolley, both times, and still don't get it

Ate there, and it just isn't great, it's OK
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
New walkable airports I tried (all in Norway):

BOO is just a 15 minute walk from the market street (Torget).
FRO is about 20 minutes walk to the main street (or 45 if you take the touristic route)
MOL is not as walker friendly as it looks at first. It took me over one hour, was almost hit by several cyclists (they drive like maniacs in Norway) and the final approach to the airport wasn't pedestrian friendly. I had to do some jaywalking on a very busy road.
RRS is basically built in the town center. It takes about 15 minutes to walk downtown.
BNN is sort of built around the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.