Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Puerto Vallarta - If your hotel is in the Marina District, it's less than a mile from the airport - and the Taxi Mafia Monopoly charges $10 to unsuspecting tourists for this ~3 minute cab ride.
Old May 25, 2013, 9:12 pm

good job buddy
Old May 31, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I personally did:

MES: Medan-Indonesia
IGU: Iguazù- Brazil (far from the town, close to the falls and all hotels)
SDU: Rio-Brazil (closeby Botafogo and Flamengo beaches)
ANC: Anchorage - Alaska
FAI: Fairbanks - Alaska
LCA: Larnaca - Cyprus
NAN: Nadi - Fiji

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I've walked from SYD to Wolli Creek station rather than take their overpriced AirportLink service.
This is interesting.
Would you mind to draw the path on a map please?
I'd rather walk than pay the extortionate ticket of the AirportLink.

Originally Posted by Viks
Is it possible to walk from Rome FCO airport to Fiumicino city?
Never say never.
If you're fit for the marathon, the 30 km. to Rome center are nothing to worry about

Last edited by EmailKid; May 31, 2013 at 1:29 pm Reason: Back to back to back posts
Old May 31, 2013, 7:10 am
sfx

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
This is interesting.
Would you mind to draw the path on a map please?
I'd rather walk than pay the extortionate ticket of the AirportLink.
cross the river and though Cahill Park?
Old May 31, 2013, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by sfx
cross the river and though Cahill Park?
Yep - it shouldn't be more than about 1-2kms max.

Domestic -> Mascot Station is a pretty easy walk too, just walk up O'Riordan St and turn left at the Holiday Inn.

Domestic -> International transfers are the real PITA here
Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
MAD

MAD

OK, this is one weird airport - though not the only one in Europe where terminals can be miles apart

With a 6 a.m. departure ( ) decided to try something different

Arrived day before at T4 (Czech Airlines) hopped on the Metro to go to the Madrid suburb of Barajas (where MAD gets part of its name) and walked to find a hotel. Sure enough, found a very nice clean mom and pop establishment for 30 Euros a night (actually 35, but as I was waffling the lady offered an instant discount to entice me)

Took Metro to Puerta del Sol and wondered around, then took Metro back to hotel, only got off at MAD T 1/2/3 station, and looked for a route I found on Google Maps and had confirmed at the terminal by employees.

Sure enough, slightly uphill, and a little over 15 minutes to the hotel (and some are closer). Reversed direction at 4 a.m. and made it in just over 15 minutes this morning with my two medium to small backpacks

EmailKid
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
OK, this is one weird airport - though not the only one in Europe where terminals can be miles apart
Welcome to SYD
Old Jun 12, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
MAD

With a 6 a.m. departure ( ) decided to try something different

Arrived day before at T4 (Czech Airlines) hopped on the Metro to go to the Madrid suburb of Barajas (where MAD gets part of its name) and walked to find a hotel. Sure enough, found a very nice clean mom and pop establishment for 30 Euros a night (actually 35, but as I was waffling the lady offered an instant discount to entice me)

Took Metro to Puerta del Sol and wondered around, then took Metro back to hotel, only got off at MAD T 1/2/3 station, and looked for a route I found on Google Maps and had confirmed at the terminal by employees.

Sure enough, slightly uphill, and a little over 15 minutes to the hotel (and some are closer). Reversed direction at 4 a.m. and made it in just over 15 minutes this morning with my two medium to small backpacks

EmailKid
Ah yes we did this one last year after missing the half-hourly shuttle from the hotel (Clement). It was reasonably straightforward and you can sort of follow the path using satellite view on Google maps... turn left at a big roundabout, sort of straight across a smaller roundabout, across an open air car park, bridge across the motorway, and then through a closed car park.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 3:54 pm

In Valencia (VLC), you can exit the airport on the left side, walk till the first turnaround (which just comes at the end of the parking lot after about 500m), and cross the main double lane road (which you can't cross before) - then "go back" on the other side, after you've literally passed the airport on the other side of the double lane road, you'll reach the first metro stop. If you dare (especially when low traffic) you can also cross the double lane road in front of the airport, saving about 1.2km to walk. You'll save 1.8€ by doing this by taking the metro from the first stop, as apparently the 300m of rail is worth 2 extra zones on the metro system.. (You can save even more if you get a 10-trip-ticket or something like that)
Old Jun 12, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
More walking

Following on from my last post, I've subsequently walked from DOH into the old city centre along the Corniche (and then on to the new city centre as I had time to kill). There's a path all the way and once you hit the Corniche, it's fully pedestrianised and rather pleasant with lots of trees and a few cafes. This won't be as easy when the new airport opens though.

I also flew into AEP in Buenos Aires last month and while I considered it possible to walk into the city centre from here, I decided it was safer to take the inexpensive public bus (33 or 45).

RAR, as previously mentioned, is also very walkable, and very safe.

Someone else asked about GUM... while there's no pavement alongside the road from the terminal, there is a grassy verge suitable for walking and once you get to the main road, there's a path. I would suggest it would take no more than 30 minutes to walk to the beach.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Someone else asked about GUM... while there's no pavement alongside the road from the terminal, there is a grassy verge suitable for walking and once you get to the main road, there's a path. I would suggest it would take no more than 30 minutes to walk to the beach.
A friend of mine slept though a connection at GUM and found himself with spare time. IIRC he said it's about 40 minutes walk to the beach, but it got pretty warm later on in the day, plus coming BACK to the airport was uphill, so he took a taxi.

EmailKid, off to MAD in a couple of weeks, so may walk to terminal again

And most likely to walk to DAL as well, unless the Texas summer heat is with us
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:37 pm

I will add St. Barth. Super expensive place, but if you want to save a little it's possible to walk to most resorts.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:05 pm

I know Billy Bishop Toronto Island Airport was already mentioned but they actually are in the process of constructing a pedestrian tunnel from the mainland to the airport so it will literally be walkable from downtown. As it stands right now you have to wait for a free ferry that takes about 1 minute to cross the channel-- it's kind of annoying because the distance is so close but you may have to stand on a line for 15 minutes or so to wait for it to arrive.

But they even have banners up that say something along the lines of "Walk to the airport? You can!" and have a Bixi bike-share station in front of the entrance, which people actually do use. So they are one of the few airports that seems to "get it" when it comes to accessibility, and isn't caught in this homeland security fear-induced insanity that seems to push airports to the fringes of civilization and surround their grounds by miles of pedestrian-hostile asphalt...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Tacony Palmyra
As it stands right now you have to wait for a free ferry that takes about 1 minute to cross the channel-- it's kind of annoying because the distance is so close
swim to airport to save money

YTZ mentioned in second post

EmailKid
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
I'm just back from Key West. I was driving, but it seemed easy enough to walk from EYW to Duval Street in about 45 minutes. Just exit the airport and turn right at the breakwater to get into town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.