Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by WillTravel
Walking to the airport from several SEA airport hotels is very easy, and usually quicker than taking the shuttle.
If we include airport hotels its becoming a totally different ball game.

I recently walked to IST and SIN then
Old May 27, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: AF-Platinum for Life / LH-M&M / Radisson Rewards Platinum / IHG Gold
Aalborg, Denmark (AAL) is also doable on foot - 5.5km to the city centre with a nice stroll along the Limfjord river.
Old May 28, 2011, 9:05 am

I don't know if that counts, but Male (MLE) if you're a good swimmer (jk, the ferry to Male itself is around 50 Eurocent, so almost free, and there is no walking distance)

Also, CMB - Colombo, while it's around 30km outside of the airport it's doable "almost" free, you can take the free (really free) airport shuttle bus which will drop you somewhere close to the railway line/bus station.. there you either take an aircon bus (40 Eurocent), an no-aircon bus (28 Eurocent) or the train, which is usually even the fastest and not that uncomfortable anyway, but doesn't drive every few minutes like the buses (for around 20 Eurocent)
Old May 29, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
VST (Vasteras, Sweden - just has a couple of Ryanair flights a day now) is an easy 30 minutes walk from the city, through quiet residential areas.

On the other hand, Ryanair of course insists that VST is a Stockholm airport, so that would mean a 75 mile walk to downtown...
Old May 29, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: *G
BOC is a 5 min walk to town center
Old May 30, 2011, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Puerto Vallarta walk from Airport

Originally Posted by jbjelloid
I'll be tempted to try walking from SAN on my next trip but I'll undoubtedly have my golf clubs. Hmmm... can you hire a caddy at the airport?
I arrived in Luang Prabang by bus and left by air. After the short ride to LDQ I remember thinking that I could have easily walked.
Puerta Vallarta seemed like another place with a disproportionately expensive taxi rate. I know local buses are available but has anyone tried walking from PVR to Marina Vallarta or the hotel zone?
Thanks for the tips and keep 'em coming!
I walked from the airport to a shopping center about 3/4 mile away, then took a taxi to downtown for a quarter of the price the airport taxis charge.
Just cross the pedestrian bridge over the main road in front of the airport.
Old May 31, 2011, 12:00 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Pisa, Italy

This is one of the easiest airport terminals to walk to/from.
Its about 1200m from the terminal to the Campo dei Miracoli (Leaning Tower) and only about half that to the Stazione. Check out how close it is on GoogleEarth. I believe that you can still fly non-stop there from NY and Atlanta.
Old May 31, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
USH is walkable from downtown. It takes about 50 minutes, great views along the way.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA PE, FL A+Elite, X-DL Silver, X-AA Gold, HH Diam, Marriott Silv
Airports seem to be quite close to town and/ or beaches on Greek islands, corfu, Mykonos, etc
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: TK, ITA(!)
Originally Posted by x1achilles
This is one of the easiest airport terminals to walk to/from.
Its about 1200m from the terminal to the Campo dei Miracoli (Leaning Tower) and only about half that to the Stazione. Check out how close it is on GoogleEarth. I believe that you can still fly non-stop there from NY and Atlanta.
Yes its a decent enough walk through suburbs too, I took the bus from the airport hotel on departure... mainly as I didnt have a map and staff had no idea the direction to the terminal itself by walking, oh dear!
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Have done this for a few European airports:

Nice (NCE)
Belfast George Best (BHD)
Tallinn (TLL)
Pisa (PSA)
Treviso (TSF)
Bergamo (BGY)
Madrid (MAD) - only from suburban accom 2 miles from MAD

Nice was a very nice walk along the coast - the others were variants of walking through suburbs, but always good to see a different local side of cities - would recommend if you have light luggage
Old Aug 5, 2011, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
SJC, CA, USA - Easy to Walk from Light Rail / Many Airport Hotels (Double Tree, Holiday Inn etc) - After the new terminal, it's a bit tricky - but still doable.

MAA, India, Short walk through the construction Zone (Airport under expansion) to catch Light Rail / Bus to the city / Train Terminal
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
BSL (Basel) is actually in France, but only around 6km from the city center and iirc has a free shuttle to the main railway station.
I do not recall any free shuttle service from BSL to the main RR station (Basel SBB). However there is good public bus service approx every 15 mins. The 20 min ride costs CHF 4.00, ircc. Taking luggage along is no problem at all.

http://www.euroairport.com/EN/voyage...ID=487&lang=EN
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Maybe include airport you can jog/run to Lounge shower provided@:-)
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:53 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by travelkid
Maybe include airport you can jog/run to Lounge shower provided@:-)
No shower at DAL, but when I walked back from the airport didn't really need one, as it was in December Yes, it was redeye from PDX to IAH, then a puddlejumper to DAL, then to work

And in SAN the weather is almost always lovely, so didn't need a shower there either.

EmailKid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.