Reload this Page >

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frb98mf
Note: in many cases there are shorter walks available to either nearby public transport that may be cheaper than the more expensive trains to the airport, or to nearby attractions. If you edit this wiki, please post those as well.

Airport - Notes (include time and a link to a google map route)
AGP - approx. 40 minutes from Holiday Inn Express, which is the nearest airport hotel
ANC - downtown 1h 20'
BOM - from domestic terminal to Ville Parle railway station (crowded on week-days, OK on week-ends) (20 mn)
BRE - center (45 min)
BRU - from Zaventem train station
CNX (Chiang Mai, Thailand) - 48 minutes from the far side of old town, less to near side
CPH - city center(1h30 min)
DAD (Da Nang, Vietnam) - one hour to the beach, 40 minutes to the center
DAL - downtown(2h) or take bus 524 for free to Inwood Station and then walk. Costs $2.50 TO DAL.
DCA - 15 minutes. Crystal City, Arlington.
EDI - short walk to the nearby Hilton. Airport bus also stops across the street from Hilton and goes to centre of town
ETH - AIRPORT CLOSED
FUK - 45 minutes to Hakata Station
GIB - at the north end of Gibraltar. Walkable to La Linea or to Gibraltar
GVA - center (1hr), CERN (1h4),
IEV - City center(1h30 min)
ITM - to Hotarugaike station (Hankyu network) avoiding Monorail (18 mn)
JFK - Lefferts Blvd airtrain station to subway (to avoid airtrain fee) (20 min)
LCA - about 1h to center seafront
LCY - to Canary Wharf (1 hr)
LIS - Oriente (40 mins), city center (1h20m)
LIN - center (1h30m)
LYR - center (1hr) - watch out for the polar bears! (gun required, or make sure you are traveling with someone you can outrun)
MAA - to Tirusulam station across the elevated highway (10 mn)
MAD - T123Barajas metro station (to save on airport surcharge) (30 min)
MEX - T2 to Pantitlan Metro (10 min)
NCE - Arrivals level to the city center's Gare-de-Ville station (75 min)
PEK - Buy a metro card at the metro station but don't take the extremely expensive CNY 25 train there. Walk outside and take 850快 via expressway to the city, CNY 2 only after discount.
PRG - center This map is somewhat deceptive - if you try to walk along the road, there is no room (3h)
SAN - downtown along the coast (40 mins), sidewalks
SDU - downtown Rio (30 min)
SDV - AIRPORT CLOSED
SJC - downtown (1hr)
SJJ - to the nearest trolley bus line (15 min), to the center (2 hrs)
SYD - int'l terminal to Wolli Creek Station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
domestic terminal to Mascot station (to avoid the airport surcharge) (20 min)
TLS - to the center (1h40m)
TOS - center (1hr)
TSA - to center (40 mn to 1 hr)
WAW - center (1h40m)
WIC - to the centre (15 min)
WLG - center (1h30m)
YTZ - tunnel to the island is now open.

Print Wikipost

Walk to/from the Airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by jbjelloid
Illegal? I haven't run into that yet. Usually the biggest barriers are sheer distance and controlled access highways.
Good to know, thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Romelle
I walked from the Holiday Inn Express (AVENIDA DE VELAZQUEZ 290 JUNTO N340 MALAGA, 29004 to the the Malaga airport (AGP).
with the stupidity of the roads around AGP it took me nearly as long to drive there from the same hotel did you walk along the frontage road by all the off-airport parking garages?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
with the stupidity of the roads around AGP it took me nearly as long to drive there from the same hotel
Wow, that does not sound like fun

Madrid airport looks well marked, but that one I walked to/from my hotel or else took the metro or commuter train. Haven't been to Malaga since last century.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
with the stupidity of the roads around AGP it took me nearly as long to drive there from the same hotel did you walk along the frontage road by all the off-airport parking garages?
I'm really sorry, but it has been too long and I don't remember the exact route. I searched using www.rome2rio.com and would have followed that generally.

Romelle
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Unless you're taking a taxi or driving, BRU can only be reached by foot at the moment.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, apparently it's about 25 minutes on foot from Zaventem train station. As the weather is getting nicer now, shouldn't be too much of a bother for many of us, although if you have serious baggage it will be out of the question.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:10 pm

There's now also a free shuttle bus from Zaventem train station running every 10 mins according to the airport website
Old Apr 22, 2016, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
TRD-Hell

It's about 30km to downtown Trondheim but only a short walk from TRD to Hell. Just walk through the parking garage, past the shopping mall, then cross the river and head down into Hell. I'll warn you that there's not much to do. In fact, I found Hell kind of boring. Perhaps take a selfie at the train station if you are so inclined? It was okay for an hour or so but I wouldn't want to spend eternity there.
On another note, if you time it right you can take the train from Hell into Trondheim and save yourself 5 or 6 bucks over the cost of the airport bus.

Last edited by jbjelloid; Apr 22, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
At EYW I've walked, biked, used my scooter and gone by boat.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:23 pm

LGA - This is no problem at all and I'm surprised the Port Authority police stopped someone else on here. Just follow the sidewalks, many airport staff walk in everyday from surrounding neighborhoods.

Curious if anyone here has tried SDQ? I found Santo Domingo insanely un-walkable despite a ton of pedestrian traffic.

Also how does one access the wiki?
Old May 3, 2016, 10:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by elkue
Also how does one access the wiki?
Um, look at the top of this page and click "see full Wiki."

If you want to add / edit, then it's "once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts."

Meaningful posts, we moderators have a bad habit of deleting posts that were made to add to post count
Old May 3, 2016, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Um, look at the top of this page and click "see full Wiki."

If you want to add / edit, then it's "once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts."

Meaningful posts, we moderators have a bad habit of deleting posts that were made to add to post count
Ah gotcha, thank you. Interesting definition of "wiki". Someone needs to add LGA.
Old May 11, 2016, 4:56 am

It's a 20 minute walk from BON into Kralendijk. Turn right out of the parking lot and follow the paved road into town. It'll save you the $11 dollar cab fare
Old May 12, 2016, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by elkue
Ah gotcha, thank you. Interesting definition of "wiki". Someone needs to add LGA.
How so? Wiki - Hawaiian for "fast". In this case it's a post that can quickly be edited by anyone who meets the 90d/90p criteria.
Old May 14, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
WICK JOHN O'GROATS AIRPORT in Scotland (Iata code WIC) is walkable from the town centre.

Google Map

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.