Wiki Posts
Search

How to Run from FRA Airport to Downtown Frankfurt and Back

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM & *A Gold
How to Run from FRA Airport to Downtown Frankfurt and Back

For the runners of the world who have a layover at Frankfurt International Airport (FRA), here are simple instructions to have a great Frankfurt Layover Running Adventure between your long-haul international flights (or any trip for that matter).

1. Plan ahead. Know your speed and distance and use Google Maps to plot your run. There are a number of trails around the airport and bridges across the Main river with pedestrian walkways where you can cross into Frankfurt. The S-Bahn and U-Bahn can return you to the airport as well, just plan ahead as both are confusing.

Here are two runs I did as a guide for your adventures:
2. Change and store luggage. Be sure to pack your running gear in your carry on luggage (wear your running shoes) and store your carry on at the baggage storage area in the A wing of the airport.

3. Take the Steigenberger Airport Hotel bus to the hotel and start your run from there. Its right next to the main running trails from the airport and is beyond all the autobahn traffic that can get you lost or run over.

4. Run! Enjoy the scenery as you run thought the Frankfurt City Forest, and depending on your distance, the Main River and Frankfurt am Main itself.

5. Take the SBahn back to the airport. If you took a few Euros you can buy a ticket back to the airport on the SBahn. It will bring you back to the airport terminal, which from there you have three choices.

6. Shower and optional massage: After you're back at the airport terminal all hot and sweaty, you have three options to get cleaned up:
  1. Shower at one of the public showers in the terminal
  2. Shower in one of the airport lounges (Lufthansa Welcome Lounge is amazing!)
  3. Go back to the hotel and get a long massage and hot shower before flying out (my recommendation)

7. Continue your trip. What better way to fly onward and really enjoy the inflight drinks, than with a post-run high? I hope to see you next flight, with a smile as you remember your Frankfurt Layover Running Adventure.

Wayan

Last edited by wayan; Nov 16, 2010 at 5:26 am
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
^

When I first read "how to run" and "FRA" I first thought yet another post about FRA airport, tight connections etc.

Definitely an interesting alternative to the C/SEN lounge!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
^

Definitely an interesting alternative to the C/SEN lounge!
Yes it is. On layovers, I never stay in the airport - too much like being stuck in a plane - though my adventures have changed a bit. My LAX layover done right was a whole other experience.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

An update

I now do this run every time I fly through Frankfurt. Yes, even in the rain and the snow, and keep getting faster. Nice.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Very nice. ^
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:09 am

Programs: TK*G, Delta Gold
Would you mind sharing your track as an inspiration for possible paths to take? I find this idea very intriguing.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - very cool! I love running in new places.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:17 pm
fwh

Very nice.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Zeehe
Would you mind sharing your track as an inspiration for possible paths to take? I find this idea very intriguing.
I really think this is a great idea. I'm still hoping to find out which actual track you used. I have the slight suspicion that I should be able to see it on http://runkeeper.com/user/Wayan/activity/18457223 (which would explain why you didn't answer to my question), but actually I don't. All I see is the statistics (9.03mi, 1:17, ...), and an empty area underneath. Is this where I should see the track itself? Does it only work after logging in?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Zeehe
I really think this is a great idea. I'm still hoping to find out which actual track you used. I have the slight suspicion that I should be able to see it on http://runkeeper.com/user/Wayan/activity/18457223 (which would explain why you didn't answer to my question), but actually I don't. All I see is the statistics (9.03mi, 1:17, ...), and an empty area underneath. Is this where I should see the track itself? Does it only work after logging in?
I looked through the source code of the page. Indeed there is a javascript reference to a very long URl, which results in Error 414: "The requested URL /maps/api/staticmap... is too large to process. That’s all we know." when opening it directly. Presumably this is the reason why I can't see the map. Happens with all browsers here.

For reference the URL in question is http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/....11576,8.69522
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Map is visible...

Not sure your issue in seeing the route. I can see it fine on Firefox and Chrome, signed out and after cache clearing. Anyway, here is a screenshot of the best route

Old May 5, 2013, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Thumbs up Excellent post

Since I don't normally visit this forum, I just stumbled upon it after a thread I subscribed to was moved to Germany forum.

And I must say, this is a great post, and I may try to do the trail some day ^

EmailKid
Old May 10, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Great info.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:33 pm

Smile Excellent run

Thanks Wayan! I did this run starting in the forest based on your recommendation....just walked out of Terminal 1 then followed the roads. I had to cross a couple of one-lane access roads, but nothing major. Once in the woods, the trails are well maintained & numerous. I only saw 2 people in my first 30 mins. Trails are laid out in a grid, so getting lost seems to be quite difficult. Great 2 hr meandering run.

I just took the train back to the airport for 4 EUR.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Thanks Wayan, great suggestion for heading out for a run during a FRA layover! We did runs on both of our recent layovers in FRA - found the trails in the woods nearby easily with a GPS and did two different runs both about 12 km (turned around at the river and ran back to the terminal). During our layover yesterday we were in the LH Hon First lounge which made for a funny site as we left the lounge in our running gear (shorts included!) and came back fairly wet from the constant light rain during our run! But great way to rejuvenate between 9.5+ hr flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.