Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crazy8534
BA FAQ : Tier Point collection changes | Executive Club | British Airways

What is happening?

British Airways are changing the TP collection year (also known as the BA Executive Club Year) so that everyone will have an expiry of 31st March going forward.
Their email states:

From next year, your Tier status will reset at the same time as everyone else's, meaning you’ll have the same Tier Point collection year as friends and family who are also members of the Executive Club.
In future, the Tier Point collection year will start on 1 April and end on 31 March every year. The change will be in place for all British Airways Executive Club Members starting from 1 April 2025.

How will this affect my current year?

You will earn and achieve/retain status as per the current set-up until the end of your current TP year.
e.g. If you have achieved or expect to achieve 1500TPs before the end of your current TP year (8th of a month) you will retain or be promoted to Gold status.

How will this affect the subsequent year?

Your next TP earning year will be SHORTER and will end on 31st March 2025.
You will have between the start of your next TP earning year and 31st March 2025 to earn the required number of TPs to attain or retain status.
e.g. if you are Gold you need to get 1500TPs between 8th October 2024 and 31st March 2025.

HOWEVER: BA will add all of the TPs that you earn between 1st April 2024 and the end of your current membership year (in the case above 8th October 2024) to next year's total.
This means that your target for TP earning in the year [Start of year something 8th of a month] 24- 31st March 25 will be your normal target (e.g. 1500TPs) MINUS whatever you earned from 1st April 2024 until the end of your current year.
Effectively, you should consider 1st April 2024 as the new start of your next TP earning year for TP collection purposes.

Status earned in the new (next) year will be valid until end of April 2026.

How will my current status card expiry date be affected?

BA have confirmed that it will NOT be affected.
i.e. if you have Silver status with a card expiry of 31st December 2025 (having already achieved silver renewal since 8th November 2023) this will not be affected.
If you subsequently drop to Bronze status then this will expire 30th April 2026.

Will I be able to double-dip (use the April 24 - TP collection year end date TPs twice) for Lifetime TPs?

No

Will I be able to double-dip for GUFs etc.?

I don't think we know yet.

If I earn TPs in the Amex TP offer between 1st April and 21st May 2024 (when the offer expires) will these count in the double-dip?

We believe that the answer to this is yes.

Has the 'grace' period for status reduced?

Yes.
Whereas it used to be until the end of the month following your year end (i.e. if you had a year ending 8th October you would be Gold with a card valid until 30th November) everyone will now have a card that is valid until 30th April.
Just under 2 months 'grace' has decreased to just under 1 month.

What about GGL status retention?

BA have confirmed that you must achieve 3000TP, during your SHORTENED/transition year (with the addition of the ‘doubled’ TPs from April 1st 2024) in order to maintain continuous GGL membership. If you fail to do so your GGL status will expire at the date of card expiry from your last 8-8th year (even though this may be as late as 30th April 2026) and you would need to requalify at 5000TPs again.

This has particular implications for those who may be earning a significant number of TPs in February and March 2024 as these will not be counted into the SHORTENED/transition year.

Worked example (crazy8534)?

crazy8534's current status/TP earning year ends 8th June 2024.
He has already renewed GGL status so has a card that will expire with GGL status on 31st July 2025.
He will earn 2000TPs between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024.

His TP year will reset on 8th June 2024 and he will have 0TPs.
BA will then add the TPs that he has earned between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024 to his current year total (but not his lifetime total), giving him 2000TPs for the year 24/25.
He will need to earn another 1000TPs between 8th June 2024 and 31st March 2025 to renew GGL.
If he renews GGL then his new status will last until 30th April 2026.

If he fails to renew GGL status before 31st March 2025 then it will still last until 31st July 2025 (as per his current card).
He will then fall to either Gold (if earned >1500TPs) or Silver (if earned <1500TPs) until 30th April 2026.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2024, 5:32 am

IAG is dual-listed on the LSE and Madrid exchange with a reporting year end of 28th/29th February. Im sure having everyone rushing through trips to capture status in the final three months of IAG's reporting period (Dec to Feb), rather than them being dispersed over twelve months, as before, will certainly give IAG's 2024-25 revenue report a nice boost. This in no way constitutes investment advice , just bored ramblings.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pmcg
What a very confusing system this is now! Guess that's BA and their IT systems.
Some people are clearly finding the transition very confusing, but the new system is, if anything, simpler than the existing one because everyone has the same collection period.
pmcg, e8steve and etiene like this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by digbydare
IAG is dual-listed on the LSE and Madrid exchange with a reporting year end of 28th/29th February. Im sure having everyone rushing through trips to capture status in the final three months of IAG's reporting period (Dec to Feb), rather than them being dispersed over twelve months, as before, will certainly give IAG's 2024-25 revenue report a nice boost. This in no way constitutes investment advice , just bored ramblings.
I’m not sure even the most dedicated group of tier point runners would move the dial on a €25bn business.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, Star Alliance, HH Gold
Originally Posted by daenous
Okay, I think I got there in the end, a few days later. I am 08 MARCH reset date. Can someone confirm?

09 MAR 2024 > 08 MAR 2025
Classic System
+1500 == Gold

09 MAR 2025 > 31 MAR 2025
Transition Period
Crediting TPs only from 01 APR 2024 > 08 MAR 2025

01 APR 2025 > 31 MAR 2026
New System
Status from Transition Period effective

I have a flight that gives me 160 TPs on 09 MAR 2024 so this will NOT be considered during the transition period correct?
I'm in the same position as you with a March ending. I thought the 2 statements contradicted each other so I messaged BA for clarification. Mainly as we have a BA holiday booked in March before Easter earning 800 Tier Points.
9th March 24 - 8th March 25 + 1500 TP's retains Gold card till the end of April 26 as in the old system.
To retain card to 30th April 27 I need + 1500 TP's from 1st April till 31st March.
I think I'm pleased we have March endings as it might work out the most straight forward to change to the new system.
daenous likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by pmcg
What a very confusing system this is now! Guess that's BA and their IT systems.

Why a financial year though and not a calendar year? Wonder if anythine knows.
I mistakenly posted that this aligned with BA's and IAG's financial years, but it isn't the case, they report on calendar years so this isn't a financial year other than in the UK.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
Some people are clearly finding the transition very confusing, but the new system is, if anything, simpler than the existing one because everyone has the same collection period.
Clearly the final system will be simpler, but the transition period is confusing, particularly how soft landings will work.

Based on the facts we know now, someone with an 8 March year end, who earns Gold between 9 March and 31 March 2024, with no further tier points after that, will keep Gold until 30 April 2026 and then be downgraded immediately to Bronze on 1 May.

That would be 2 soft landings happening simultaneously.

But that could change. We don't know.
TobiasM2 and digbydare like this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Misco60
I agree. My TP year ended Jan 8. I’m interpreting this change as:

1. Jan 8 ‘24 - Jan 8 ‘25 earn to retain status for the mini “year” of Jan 9 ‘25 - Mar 31 ‘25.

2. Jan 9 ‘25 - Mar 31 ‘25 earn TP’s to be added to what I earned from Apr 1, 24 - Jan 8’24

Total the TP’s from no. 2 and that’s how to calculate my status until Apr 30’26.

As just Gold I don’t see this being an issue for me as all the TP’s earned during the transition will count for me at the adjustment date. I get that those flyers with higher earned TP’s have benefits that kick in and that might be confusing to calculate.

Edit. I know I just repeated the above posts. I needed a bit of written therapy and confirmation for myself. After reading a good handful of posts here I was starting to doubt what I had understood from the BA letter. Cheers!
Misco60 likes this.

Last edited by Tack; Feb 9, 2024 at 6:41 am
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, OWE
Originally Posted by ChemicalWoody
Clearly the final system will be simpler, but the transition period is confusing, particularly how soft landings will work.

Based on the facts we know now, someone with an 8 March year end, who earns Gold between 9 March and 31 March 2024, with no further tier points after that, will keep Gold until 30 April 2026 and then be downgraded immediately to Bronze on 1 May.

That would be 2 soft landings happening simultaneously.

But that could change. We don't know.
This is exactly my situation... I am currently Silver with 8 March year end. I have BA holidays booked for 10 March to 28 March which will get me upgraded to gold. I am assuming the upgrade will give my card an expiration date of 30 April 26, but under the new system I "may" be double downgraded to bronze. I'm hoping BA will do the right thing and give a soft landing one for the year to 2027 as was originally offered under the old system.
ChemicalWoody likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 8:12 am

Question How BA’s tier point collection year changes affect the GGL joker?

Hello everyone, I'm new to flyertalk.

I would like to ask a question regarding to how BA’s tier point collection year changes affect the GGL joker.

My membership year renews on 8th February 2024. As the GGL beginner's guide mentioned, "You'll get two jokers/GGL redemptions/space releases for each qualifying membership year."

I will get 2 jokers from 9th February 2024 to 8th February 2025. My next TP collection period will be shortened to 9th February 2025 to 31st March 2025. Will I get an extra 2 jokers from 9th February 2025?

Thank you for your attention.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Welcome to Flyertalk. I do not have a definitive answer but would expect to get 2 new jokers every time I requalified as GGL, even if that was a shortened period.

Gold upgrade vouchers are easier to work out. You will only get vouchers for actual tier points earned, not deemed earnings.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 8:26 am

Thank you for your warm greetings, Rubecula.

If you earn 2,500 British Airways Executive Club tier points in your membership year, you receive a ‘Gold Upgrade For Two’ voucher.

If you earn 3,500 tier points, you receive an additional two ‘Gold Upgrade For One’ vouchers.

Do you mean that, we will get the GUF2 & GUF1 vouchers even if that was a shortened period?
Old Feb 9, 2024, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by GGLnewbie
Thank you for your warm greetings, Rubecula.

If you earn 2,500 British Airways Executive Club tier points in your membership year, you receive a ‘Gold Upgrade For Two’ voucher.

If you earn 3,500 tier points, you receive an additional two ‘Gold Upgrade For One’ vouchers.

Do you mean that, we will get the GUF2 & GUF1 vouchers even if that was a shortened period?
I mean that in a status earning period if you earn a GUF2 and, if appropriate 2GUF1 the tier points to earn them cannot be used to earn a voucher in a later earning period.
crazy8534 likes this.

Last edited by Rubecula; Feb 9, 2024 at 8:38 am Reason: wording not as clear as I would like
Old Feb 9, 2024, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Welcome to FT. There is a lenthy thread on this topic, its worth reading post 1 on it. Some of the questions you are asking the answera are not yet known

Old Feb 9, 2024, 9:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board GGLnewbie

There's a FAQ in the Wikipost in the linked thread above, takes a while to maybe get your head around it, but as I am not GGL and never have been I can't possibly comment but sure others will soon although your specific question seems to be unknown at present (I think)

For info you're only allowed 5 posts on your first day but our Moderators sometimes merge them so just to bear that in mind when replying.

Pete
Old Feb 9, 2024, 10:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Rubecula
Welcome to Flyertalk. I do not have a definitive answer but would expect to get 2 new jokers every time I requalified as GGL, even if that was a shortened period.

Gold upgrade vouchers are easier to work out. You will only get vouchers for actual tier points earned, not deemed earnings.
I agree, I think that you will get TPs for vouchers (e.g. GUF) using the same formula that will be used to calculate accumulation of Lifetime TPs (i.e. no double-counting).
This means that you may be able to renew GGL within your "shortened" TP earning year and not get the GUF2 at 2,500TPs if you had earned >500TPs in your 1st April 24 - 8th Month TP start date.
I also agree on the Jokers and partner cards as these would not normally carry-over between years and so they would be renewed at the change of the year (8th Month and then 1st April 25).

This is speculative on my part but I think they are reasonable assumptions.
We would all benefit from having Jokers during the shortened year but if you don't use them they will expire and be replaced on 1st April 25 (assuming GGL renewal).
The benefit of having partner cards in the shortened year will be balanced by the fact that if they are used then the beneficiary will also have a slightly shortened period of status.
JapesUK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.