Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stewaran
BA FAQ : Tier Point collection changes | Executive Club | British Airways

What is happening?

British Airways are changing the TP collection year (also known as the BA Executive Club Year) so that everyone will have an expiry of 31st March going forward.
Their email states:

From next year, your Tier status will reset at the same time as everyone else's, meaning youll have the same Tier Point collection year as friends and family who are also members of the Executive Club.
In future, the Tier Point collection year will start on 1 April and end on 31 March every year. The change will be in place for all British Airways Executive Club Members starting from 1 April 2025.

How will this affect my current year?

You will earn and achieve/retain status as per the current set-up until the end of your current TP year.
e.g. If you have achieved or expect to achieve 1500TPs before the end of your current TP year (8th of a month) you will retain or be promoted to Gold status.

How will this affect the subsequent year?

Your next TP earning year will be SHORTER and will end on 31st March 2025.
You will have between the start of your next TP earning year and 31st March 2025 to earn the required number of TPs to attain or retain status.
e.g. if you are Gold you need to get 1500TPs between 8th October 2024 and 31st March 2025.

HOWEVER: BA will add all of the TPs that you earn between 1st April 2024 and the end of your current membership year (in the case above 8th October 2024) to next year's total.
This means that your target for TP earning in the year [Start of year something 8th of a month] 24- 31st March 25 will be your normal target (e.g. 1500TPs) MINUS whatever you earned from 1st April 2024 until the end of your current year.
Effectively, you should consider 1st April 2024 as the new start of your next TP earning year for TP collection purposes.

You will get a 1 time points credit 14 days after your year end with the TP you earnt from 1 april upto your previous year end.

Status earned in the new (next) year will be valid until end of April 2026.

How will my current status card expiry date be affected?

BA have confirmed that it will NOT be affected.
i.e. if you have Silver status with a card expiry of 31st December 2025 (having already achieved silver renewal since 8th November 2023) this will not be affected.
If you subsequently drop to Bronze status then this will expire 30th April 2026.

Will I be able to double-dip (use the April 24 - TP collection year end date TPs twice) for Lifetime TPs?

No

Will I be able to double-dip for GUFs etc.?

I don't think we know yet.

If I earn TPs in the Amex TP offer between 1st April and 21st May 2024 (when the offer expires) will these count in the double-dip?

We believe that the answer to this is yes.

Has the 'grace' period for status reduced?

Yes.
Whereas it used to be until the end of the month following your year end (i.e. if you had a year ending 8th October you would be Gold with a card valid until 30th November) everyone will now have a card that is valid until 30th April.
Just under 2 months 'grace' has decreased to just under 1 month.

What about GGL status retention?

BA have confirmed that you must achieve 3000TP, during your SHORTENED/transition year (with the addition of the doubled TPs from April 1st 2024) in order to maintain continuous GGL membership. If you fail to do so your GGL status will expire at the date of card expiry from your last 8-8th year (even though this may be as late as 30th April 2026) and you would need to requalify at 5000TPs again.

This has particular implications for those who may be earning a significant number of TPs in February and March 2024 as these will not be counted into the SHORTENED/transition year.

Worked example (crazy8534)?

crazy8534's current status/TP earning year ends 8th June 2024.
He has already renewed GGL status so has a card that will expire with GGL status on 31st July 2025.
He will earn 2000TPs between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024.

His TP year will reset on 8th June 2024 and he will have 0TPs.
BA will then add the TPs that he has earned between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024 to his current year total (but not his lifetime total), giving him 2000TPs for the year 24/25.
He will need to earn another 1000TPs between 8th June 2024 and 31st March 2025 to renew GGL.
If he renews GGL then his new status will last until 30th April 2026.

If he fails to renew GGL status before 31st March 2025 then it will still last until 31st July 2025 (as per his current card).
He will then fall to either Gold (if earned >1500TPs) or Silver (if earned
Print Wikipost

** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2024, 8:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by bisonrav
No, I don't buy that. I never lost GGL status so I don't need to regain it from scratch. My renewed status leapfrogs the short year entirely. I just have to add 3000 TPs during the collection period which my card expiry falls into (before the card expiry), so from April 1st 2025 to Feb 8th 2026. If I do that, it's irrelevant that a short year has been and gone, because my card never lost validity.

This is unless the validity is curtailed so there must be 3000 TPs April 2024 to April 2025 or status is lost. But the explanation says validity is maintained.
I think you are talking about the validity of your card which in your case, right enough, leapfrogs the transition year.
But in terms of retaining status, BA are pretty clear:

The Tier Point Collection Year will be shortened to end on 31 March 2025; and
A Tier Point Adjustment will be added to your Executive Club account during your new Tier Point Collection Year.
If you earn enough Tier Points during your Tier Point Collection Year to upgrade or renew your Tier status, this will be valid until 30 April 2026 (new Membership Card Expiry date).

For me it's the fact that they refer to the shortened year as "your new Tier Point Collection Year."
And then they talk about earning enough TPs and renewing status in that year.
If you are GGL and you don't have 3000TPs within that year, you haven't renewed your status even though your card outlasts the end of that year.

No pleasure in this for me at all, and in particular I also have thousands of TPs earned in March which will count for very little (except another GUF).
Old Feb 7, 2024, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by bisonrav
No, I don't buy that. I never lost GGL status so I don't need to regain it from scratch. My renewed status leapfrogs the short year entirely. I just have to add 3000 TPs during the collection period which my card expiry falls into (before the card expiry), so from April 1st 2025 to Feb 8th 2026. If I do that, it's irrelevant that a short year has been and gone, because my card never lost validity.

This is unless the validity is curtailed so there must be 3000 TPs April 2024 to April 2025 or status is lost. But the explanation says validity is maintained.
You will have lost underlying GGL status on 9 February 2026. Whilst you will continue to enjoy GGL benefits until 31 March 2026, if you do not renew GGL ( I am not sure if it would be 3000 or 5000 tier points) by 31 March 2026 then you will lose GGL status on 1 April 2026.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Rubecula
You will have lost underlying GGL status on 9 February 2026. Whilst you will continue to enjoy GGL benefits until 31 March 2026, if you do not renew GGL ( I am not sure if it would be 3000 or 5000 tier points) by 31 March 2026 then you will lose GGL status on 1 April 2026.
Yes I get that I would lose GGL status on card expiry if I hadn't requalified before the end of the associated qualifying period.

The question fully resolves to whether it is necessary to have 3000 TPs earned between April 1st 2024 and April 1st 2025 to retain GGL status regardless of whether card expiry date is beyond that, and if so at what point GGL status lapses if this condition isn't met.

I'm making enquiries directly with BA just now and I'll pass on the results if I get them rather than go back and forwards further here. Thanks for the ideas and help.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Just wrapping my head around this but I think everyone is somewhat aligned.
  • Overall the goal they have to align collection years is a good thing
  • For people who do a bulk of travel before March 31 this is a very unfair move
    • This counts even more-so for GGLs who hover above the 3k point
BA seem to think people travel evenly through the year. I will have hit about 1800tp just 3 months after my Dec collection end (and before March 31) which is when I do a good chunk of my travel. Then I'll add 1200tp+ as usual in the new window. This means I start my new collection year with say 1200 credited, and need to hit 1800tp before March 31st otherwise my back-end GGL status will drop and I'll lose status in Jan 2026 unless I hit 5000tp before then.

Fortunately they have time to address this, but I think we'll need to share with them some opinions and suggestions.

I'm not necessarily in favor of extended windows for everyone as then we'll see new threads on overcrowding, but for those of us who do a bulk of our travel before the March 31 window, there needs to be a better solution. Taking for example 70 or so % of TP gained in your current collection year and attributing to next, vs taking anything in the March 31-collection end window perhaps.

If I did my 1800tps 2 months later vs in Feb/mid-March, I'd laugh my way to apr 2026, unfortunately I'm 2 months out.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:03 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by aks120
Well one could argue that I receive GGL during that transition period. I am not saying I am correct, in fact I am sure I am not, but what is currently written is open to interpretation.

aks120
And that was the point I made a fair few times (a long way) upthread - a perfectly reasonable interpretation would be that if I get the remaining ~200TPs that I still need to be promoted to Gold at any point during the transition period, I should be Gold until end April 2026, rather than (as would be normal under the 'old' rules for a September year ender) end October 2025.

Yet October 2025 is what many people are arguing will be the case - despite the fact that I haven't seen that written down clearly in the FAQs. Or at least not as clearly as the statement that you highlighted is written... it seems to be more off the back of offline discussions with BA where someone has said "hang on, that's not what we actually meant". And yet this statement persists.

Unless of course the FAQs have again been updated and I've missed it...
aks120 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:08 am

I wonder if someone can help me. I keep thinking I've got it and then read something else and get confused all over again.

I have a YE of 8th September. I currently have no status but will be travelling enough this year to reach Gold. I was planning on taking some trips before April that would get me past Silver (about 900TP).

I keep reading that TP earnt before April are useless. I really don't want to delay these trips, as I have others planned after this so I'd have loads of rejigging to do. Should I just take these pre-April trips with a non-OW airline or carry on as planned?

It seems rather straightforward but my brain is just refusing to process it. Many thanks.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Loyalty is a two way street

Please note I have ammended this as another coffee made me realise the folly of the original post. Apologies - if this has been answered, but having read from the beginning as far as page 4, I gave up the will to live and more confused.

My year runs to Nov 8th. I already have the massive sum of 30 tier points for the current year and two out of 4 BA flights to re-qualify for silver.
But I intend to make silver by Nov 8th 2024.
Then i have a short year from Nov 2024 to March 2025 where I have to earn 600 TPs again, but 570 of them are earnt after April 2024 and are carried over and i lose the 30TP i've earned to date in the Nov 2023 to Nov 2024 membership year.

By my own calculation and assuming i've read it correctly, i will have my April to Nov 8th 2024 - 370 tps already booked (400 with the 30 to date) so 400 (or 370) plus any TPs i earn with AA not yet booked carried forward from Nov 8th into the short year from Nov 8 to April 2025 giving me an additional 4 months to reach silver?
So if I earn 600+ TPs between April and November 2024, then they carry them over to the short year from Nov 2024 to March 2025 automatically giving me silver from Apr 2025 to March 2026???
BUT
Does that mean my lowly 30 TPs earnt since Nov 2023 are essentially worthless now as they are before the april 2024 transition date for TPs to be carried over? If that is the case, supposing in the short calendar year i carry over 570 points and earn NONE in the short year so i end the transition year (5 months long) with 570 TPs, do I miss out on silver? If so - that seems unfair. Or should i view that I have an additional 4 months to hit silver again? (or both)

If thats the case, it sounds like your membership transition can be better or worse in terms of the length of the short transition year of change depending when you first flew all those years ago, but I also see no double bubble where tier points can count twice

If the above is correct, What i should do is max the TPS from April and stop booking any more AA or One World between now and April 2024 (was about to book two round AA trips but would go Air Canada now) as the TPs on AA would be lost though I accept i get Avios,

The one important principle for me regardless of whether you like the change or not, is that no member should lose out in the transition. For someone who has been a member since the 90's with nearly 9000 tier points in my lifetime (moving to canada hindered me earning through an absence of lots of trips to europe). BUT also made it more expensive to make silver requirements as my qualifying trips now are all across the pond and so to earn 90 in PE or 140 in Biz each way for 3500 miles distance is way more expensive per mile that the number of european flights in Biz needed if i were UK based for TPs earnt.

If I miss out which since typing this I have convinced I haven't! BUT if i did lose points earned to date, I'd consider my exec club membership) Why? I've just been demoted from AC/ Star Alliance 50k (Gold equivant) to 25k for last year and actually feel quite liberated by it not chasing 50 sectors a year and now being able to chose another carrier. As Delta have learnt the hard way, changing membership terms or perks doesn't make them many friends. (moderator - yes i know you can't cross post, but the impact of badly thought through changes or how they're communicated has consequences - even BA!)
Loyalty is a two way street!!

Last edited by Mikey Mike Mike; Feb 7, 2024 at 10:42 am Reason: corrected text due to my initial numpty interpretation of the change
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
Apologies if this has been answered, but having read from the beginning as far as page 4, I gave up the will to live and more confused.

My year runs to Nov 8th. I already have the massive sum of 30 tier points for the current year and two out of 4 BA flights to re-qualify for silver.

Coming up, I have the two more BA flights required to qualify for silver in May plus a mix of BA / Iberia flights in September from london. between now and November. Any work trips to the states will be on AA aircraft
It would be helpful if you could pinpoint what is confusing you, if you can.

But let's do the step by step process outlined upthread.

8 Nov 2024 = 400 TPs = Bronze, you need 600 for Silver.- you say you will get Silver, but not on 400 TPs. So we could need some clarification on that.
1 April 2025 = 370 TPs so far, yes excluding the 30 TPs, plus any TPs you make from November 2024 to end March 2025. I can't see that in the above (lots of stuff about Delta and AC mind!) so if you could clarify that perhaps?
alex67500 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Thanks CWS. I did get my 24s, 25s and 26s confused and I've laid out better the earning for the foreseeable future. For some reason I thought bronze was 300TP or did that change?
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:45 am

Bronze is 300-599
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
Does that mean my lowly 30 TPs earnt since Nov 2023 are essentially worthless now as they are before the april 2024 transition date for TPs to be carried over?
They still count to the collection year that ends November 8th.

BA has not given you 4 months longer longer to get silver. What they have done is decided to run 2 collection years which, for you, overlap from April to early November so some points count twice.

So you have a chance to get silver before november 8th or you can decide to get silver by the end of March.

If you choose to do the later then yes, the 30 TP you have already will not count toward that collection year, April 24 to March 25.

Does that help?
BA or bust likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
Let me take an analogy. If BA were to slash the luggage allowance in CE from 2x32kg to 1x23kg on all flights from December 9th, that would not be welcome but I don't think that anybody could object to such a change applying to new bookings. OTOH (and leaving aside the issue of whether such a move would be legal), I think that most of us would agree that it would not be on for BA to apply this to existing bookings for flights after Dec 8th).

Yet, this is precisely what is happening with the change to BAEC: someone might have bought some tickets for travel in December expecting to reach or renew a particular elite status (let us silver for the sake argument). This would have meant that the holder would have kept silver until JAN27.
That's where we disagree and the whole point of my distinction between mechanical and behavioural differences: I do not agree that the analogy works at all. If BA had reduced the TPs earned in a certain bucket and this applied to tickets already booked then there would be a mechanical loss of value to what the people bought, a substantive alteration to what was purchased, and I think it would be unfair. Here, however, that is not the case. There has been no change to what was purchased, but only to what someone believes this could have helped them get.

If we followed your logic, for instance, BA could never end the possibility to earn GfL for 35k except for new members, because everyone else might have purchased OW tickets because they felt they might end up getting GfL at 35k one day. In my case, I would say that BAEC needs to give people some notice but that it is not inconceivable that they might end up changing the threshold at some point with some notice even though all of us have started accruing towards GfL or GGLfL (for those of us passed that first threshold) under a certain expectation.

To push further, what specifically are you suggesting? I'll propose three options that would seem to meet the issue you raise here but are any of those what you have in mind or were you thinking of another option?:

- Option 1: BA should have really announced things today with the transition being for 1/4/2025-31/3/2026 instead and the new scheme really kicking off in more than 2 years on 1/4/2026 instead of 1/4/2025?
- Option 2: The latest OW flight one could have booked at the time changes were announced would have been for late January with a few OW airline allowing booking up to 350ish days before departure meaning the latest one could have "hoped" to to accrue would be January members hoping to qualify for their 2025-26 year. So would you say that those should be considered for qualification up to 28/2/27 for Jan TP year people managing to accrue enough between 9/1 and the end(ish) of 2025, whilst Feb renewers would at best be considered for up to 31/3/26 instead? I would argue that this would in fact strongly increase inequality between how members are impacted with the change based on current tp year, something BA has (wisely in my view) tried to limit;
- Option 3: Or if we are strict about the "behavioural" effect, should we only count flights that have already been booked before the change of tp year was announced? So for instance, a December member who has already booked a double TP run for xmas 24 should get their status extended til 31/1/27 but another December member with the same TP year, same flight booking and same doube tp promotion booking this now would only get their status till 30/4/26 instead? Again, this would create a significant inequality (and an additional one if you think that people with lower status are more likely to renew it with few trips so in a way you'd make it a lot easier for, say, a silver member to have their status renewed into 2027 whilst it would be virtually impossible for a GGL member as getting 3000 TPs in just a few weeks of travel is very hard?

Again, I haven't given this full thought so there may be other ways of doing it but apart from my not fully agreeing with the principle, I am also not convinced that the practicalities would result in a fairer system. Anyway, I'll stop here as I realise that people probably mostly want to use the thread for info about what's happening rather than what could have happened so apologies for the OT.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Hopefully I didn't miss it in the above while this situation wasn't on my mind, but...

Is there any clarity on what happens if you earn 60% of your target status post-March 2024 in "classic" year and then 60% early in transition period? My reading is that you have to wait until post-31 March 2025 for BA to add the two together. A better strategy might be to make end-of-classic-year TP adjustment to only remove TP pre-April. The 60% is then retained to be topped up in transition period to gain desired status for rest of that period plus the following year. Having to wait to April means you'd get exactly the year, rather than remainder of transition plus that year. A similar Q is about gaining 100% of target in transition period. For both cases BA blurb seems to suggest that in-year-total is only evaluated in April 2025 - not on continuous basis as at present.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Is there any clarity on what happens if you earn 60% of your target status post-March 2024 in "classic" year and then 60% early in transition period? My reading is that you have to wait until 31 March for BA to add the two together. A better strategy might be to make end-of-year TP adjustment to only remove TP pre-April. The 60% id then retained to be topped up in transition period to gain desired status for rest of that period plus the following year.
I would just dread the questions that would follow from that. I can see what you are saying since the "sell" is instead of TPs going to zero on the old system, we (=BA) are going to keep x TPs alive for you to give you a flying (ahem) start to the new system. That is what is actually happening, under the bonnet.. As it is, a fairly basic change has generated hundreds of questions, and I gather the contact centres are getting them too. The point that seems to cause most confusion is the overlap / double counting / whatever you want to call it.

It may have been better to send everyone a personalised email statement based on what their position was on 1 February 2024 and a range of options to maintain, increase or soft land their current status.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sencho
I wonder if someone can help me. I keep thinking I've got it and then read something else and get confused all over again.

I have a YE of 8th September. I currently have no status but will be travelling enough this year to reach Gold. I was planning on taking some trips before April that would get me past Silver (about 900TP).

I keep reading that TP earnt before April are useless. I really don't want to delay these trips, as I have others planned after this so I'd have loads of rejigging to do. Should I just take these pre-April trips with a non-OW airline or carry on as planned?

It seems rather straightforward but my brain is just refusing to process it. Many thanks.
I think you're fine.
If you get past 1500 TPs before 8 Sept 24 you will get gold straight away for the rest of the year and another year - so status expire 31 Oct 25.
Any TPs earned from 1st Apr 24 to 8 Sept 24 will be counted again and added to whatever you warn between 9 Sept and 31 March 25 - and you can requalify for gold until 30 April 26.
Sencho likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.