Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crazy8534
BA FAQ : Tier Point collection changes | Executive Club | British Airways

What is happening?

British Airways are changing the TP collection year (also known as the BA Executive Club Year) so that everyone will have an expiry of 31st March going forward.
Their email states:

From next year, your Tier status will reset at the same time as everyone else's, meaning you’ll have the same Tier Point collection year as friends and family who are also members of the Executive Club.
In future, the Tier Point collection year will start on 1 April and end on 31 March every year. The change will be in place for all British Airways Executive Club Members starting from 1 April 2025.

How will this affect my current year?

You will earn and achieve/retain status as per the current set-up until the end of your current TP year.
e.g. If you have achieved or expect to achieve 1500TPs before the end of your current TP year (8th of a month) you will retain or be promoted to Gold status.

How will this affect the subsequent year?

Your next TP earning year will be SHORTER and will end on 31st March 2025.
You will have between the start of your next TP earning year and 31st March 2025 to earn the required number of TPs to attain or retain status.
e.g. if you are Gold you need to get 1500TPs between 8th October 2024 and 31st March 2025.

HOWEVER: BA will add all of the TPs that you earn between 1st April 2024 and the end of your current membership year (in the case above 8th October 2024) to next year's total.
This means that your target for TP earning in the year [Start of year something 8th of a month] 24- 31st March 25 will be your normal target (e.g. 1500TPs) MINUS whatever you earned from 1st April 2024 until the end of your current year.
Effectively, you should consider 1st April 2024 as the new start of your next TP earning year for TP collection purposes.

Status earned in the new (next) year will be valid until end of April 2026.

How will my current status card expiry date be affected?

BA have confirmed that it will NOT be affected.
i.e. if you have Silver status with a card expiry of 31st December 2025 (having already achieved silver renewal since 8th November 2023) this will not be affected.
If you subsequently drop to Bronze status then this will expire 30th April 2026.

Will I be able to double-dip (use the April 24 - TP collection year end date TPs twice) for Lifetime TPs?

No

Will I be able to double-dip for GUFs etc.?

I don't think we know yet.

If I earn TPs in the Amex TP offer between 1st April and 21st May 2024 (when the offer expires) will these count in the double-dip?

We believe that the answer to this is yes.

Has the 'grace' period for status reduced?

Yes.
Whereas it used to be until the end of the month following your year end (i.e. if you had a year ending 8th October you would be Gold with a card valid until 30th November) everyone will now have a card that is valid until 30th April.
Just under 2 months 'grace' has decreased to just under 1 month.

What about GGL status retention?

BA have confirmed that you must achieve 3000TP, during your SHORTENED/transition year (with the addition of the ‘doubled’ TPs from April 1st 2024) in order to maintain continuous GGL membership. If you fail to do so your GGL status will expire at the date of card expiry from your last 8-8th year (even though this may be as late as 30th April 2026) and you would need to requalify at 5000TPs again.

This has particular implications for those who may be earning a significant number of TPs in February and March 2024 as these will not be counted into the SHORTENED/transition year.

Worked example (crazy8534)?

crazy8534's current status/TP earning year ends 8th June 2024.
He has already renewed GGL status so has a card that will expire with GGL status on 31st July 2025.
He will earn 2000TPs between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024.

His TP year will reset on 8th June 2024 and he will have 0TPs.
BA will then add the TPs that he has earned between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024 to his current year total (but not his lifetime total), giving him 2000TPs for the year 24/25.
He will need to earn another 1000TPs between 8th June 2024 and 31st March 2025 to renew GGL.
If he renews GGL then his new status will last until 30th April 2026.

If he fails to renew GGL status before 31st March 2025 then it will still last until 31st July 2025 (as per his current card).
He will then fall to either Gold (if earned >1500TPs) or Silver (if earned <1500TPs) until 30th April 2026.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Just had the following email from BA announcing they're aligning all tier point collection years to start 1st April -> 31st March.

We're constantly improving the British Airways Executive Club for our Members, which is why we’re changing your Tier Point collection period to make things a little simpler. 

From next year, your Tier status will reset at the same time as everyone else's, meaning you’ll have the same Tier Point collection year as friends and family who are also members of the Executive Club.

In future, the Tier Point collection year will start on 1 April and end on 31 March every year. The change will be in place for all British Airways Executive Club Members starting from 1 April 2025. 

Rest assured, we’ll make the change gradually, and you can continue to enjoy the benefits you’ve earnt in your current Tier Point collection period. You’ll also have the same opportunity to renew or upgrade your Tier status whilst we transition your Membership to the new Tier Point collection period.

To learn more about how this impacts your Membership, check out our FAQs using the link below. We’ll also be in touch soon with more information on what that means for you.

With best wishes,
Your Executive Club Team
FAQs: https://www.britishairways.com/conte...ection-changes
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Some FAQ:

For Tier Point collection periods ending on or before March 2024

There will be no change to how you earn Tier status and any status earned within this period will be valid for at least 12 months.

For Tier Point collection periods starting from April 2024

There will be some changes to transition all Executive Club Members onto the new Tier Point Collection Year, while giving them the opportunity to renew or upgrade their status during this period:
  1. The Tier Point Collection Year will be shortened to end on 31 March 2025; and
  2. A Tier Point Adjustment will be added to your Executive Club account during your new Tier Point Collection Year.
If you earn enough Tier Points during your Tier Point Collection Year to upgrade or renew your Tier status, this will be valid until 30 April 2026 (new Membership Card Expiry date).

Example

Your current Tier Point collection period starts on 9 July 2023 and ends on 8 July 2024.

Your Tier Point Collection Year resets on 8 July 2024, meaning that your next Tier Point Collection Year starts on 9 July 2024 and ends on 31 March 2025 instead of 8 July 2025.

The Tier Points you earned between 1 April 2024 and 8 July 2024 will contribute to your overlapping qualification periods and will be applied as a Tier Point Adjustment.

During the transition, to recognise a full year of earning Tier Points on flights to achieve your Tier status, we'll award you the Tier Point Adjustment. This is calculated by adding up the Tier Points you earned between 1 April 2024 and 8 July 2024.

For Members with other Tier Point collection periods, see how your Tier Point Collection Year will change.

I have a June membership year end so:

Ending in June

• Your current Tier Point Collection Year will continue as normal until 8 June 2024
  • Your next collection period will be 9 June 2024 - 31 March 2025
  • Tier Point Adjustment: we'll add on any Tier Points you earn during 1 April - 8 June 2024 to work out your Tier status from 1 April 2025
  • Any Tier status you receive during the transition period will expire on 30 April 2026

As it happens I have quite a lot of flights and TPs booked between 1st April and 8th June this year so I think, if I understand correctly, that I will effectively get those TPs doubled and also counted for next year?
In fact, if I understand this correctly, as I have a number of TP earning flights booked until the end of this year, some with double TPs, I already have well over 5k TPs into the 2024/25 season?
So effectively everyone who books flights between April and their year end will get double TPs on everything?
Potentially a big boost for anyone hunting lifetime status- although I am not sure that the TP adjustment would be added to the total? (corrected in post #38)

Last edited by crazy8534; Feb 5, 2024 at 3:21 am
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Is this an early April Fools’ joke? Don’t they have more important things to fix?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:18 am

Programs: BA GGL + GfL
I need to think this through as a normally April 9th ender but all I can think of is much busier Exec Club reps / lines at end of March rather than spread throughout the year. As well as potentially much quieter lounges every April, when people drop down until status promotions happen throughout the year. What an odd thing to do.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:19 am

Not helpful to the discussion, but if ever I was glad to be LTG, this is it. This will be chaos.

Why?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA_Pax
I need to think this through as a normally April 9th ender but all I can think of is much busier Exec Club reps / lines at end of March rather than spread throughout the year. As well as potentially much quieter lounges every April, when people drop down until status promotions happen throughout the year. What an odd thing to do.
This was my first thought too... it makes running tier point promotions much easier and potentially more rewarding for people like AMEX, as everyone will be in the same period of their collection year?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just as a small point, that now means you have less time to enjoy the status (assuming you don't get enough tier points to keep it another year). Previously, collection ends early in one month (is it the 8th for everyone?), and the card runs until the end of the next month, so you get almost two months at the end. Now, you'll get one month. More wonderful value from BA.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:24 am
Original Member

Personally as a family all having the same date will be an improvement.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:26 am

Can anyone see how they're going to pro-rata the points for the short year? It all seems very, very ambiguous to me? A link to CIV to determine what your new status will be?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by richiejv
Just as a small point, that now means you have less time to enjoy the status (assuming you don't get enough tier points to keep it another year). Previously, collection ends early in one month (is it the 8th for everyone?), and the card runs until the end of the next month, so you get almost two months at the end. Now, you'll get one month. More wonderful value from BA.
Well spotted- it does look like a shortening of the previous period until card expiry which was normally just under 2 months and now looks like until the end of April so less than 1 month.

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Can anyone see how they're going to pro-rata the points for the short year? It all seems very, very ambiguous to me? A link to CIV to determine what your new status will be?
Still trying to understand it fully but I don't think they are going to pro-rata, it is simply a doubling-up of any TPs earned between April 2024 and the normal start of your (old) TP collection year.
These are then added to the next (shortened) year.

Originally Posted by lgladdy
This was my first thought too... it makes running tier point promotions much easier and potentially more rewarding for people like AMEX, as everyone will be in the same period of their collection year?
I agree, and I think as predicted by several of us on here it is a precursor to more CC/AMEX spend-based TP earning.
EuropeanPete and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC
They aren’t. They will just look at how many points you’ve collected 1 Apr 24 to 31 Mar 25 in order to figure out your status for 25-26.
AndDee likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Tim_T
Personally as a family all having the same date will be an improvement.
One significant downside of this change is that demand, and prices, for 'TP flights' in the weeks before April 1st will surge as *everyone* seeks those last TPs before the deadline.
Modo, flygirl68, orbitmic and 16 others like this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Aligning elite qualification periods with Iberia Plus. I wonder if the long-rumoured merger is in the works...

Also aligns with AA FWIW...
SxMan, HFHFFlyer and jonr405 like this.
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is explained at the bottom on the link in Crazy's post

https://www.britishairways.com/conte...anges#examples

Basically they will work backwards into your current year and inciude - for a second time - TPs earned in your current membership year, so that you have a full 12 months in the counting period by the time you get to April 2025.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:34 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
One significant downside of this change is that demand, and prices, for 'TP flights' in the weeks before April 1st will surge as *everyone* seeks those last TPs before the deadline.
yes, March is going to become “tier run month”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.