Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stewaran
BA FAQ : Tier Point collection changes | Executive Club | British Airways

What is happening?

British Airways are changing the TP collection year (also known as the BA Executive Club Year) so that everyone will have an expiry of 31st March going forward.
Their email states:

From next year, your Tier status will reset at the same time as everyone else's, meaning youll have the same Tier Point collection year as friends and family who are also members of the Executive Club.
In future, the Tier Point collection year will start on 1 April and end on 31 March every year. The change will be in place for all British Airways Executive Club Members starting from 1 April 2025.

How will this affect my current year?

You will earn and achieve/retain status as per the current set-up until the end of your current TP year.
e.g. If you have achieved or expect to achieve 1500TPs before the end of your current TP year (8th of a month) you will retain or be promoted to Gold status.

How will this affect the subsequent year?

Your next TP earning year will be SHORTER and will end on 31st March 2025.
You will have between the start of your next TP earning year and 31st March 2025 to earn the required number of TPs to attain or retain status.
e.g. if you are Gold you need to get 1500TPs between 8th October 2024 and 31st March 2025.

HOWEVER: BA will add all of the TPs that you earn between 1st April 2024 and the end of your current membership year (in the case above 8th October 2024) to next year's total.
This means that your target for TP earning in the year [Start of year something 8th of a month] 24- 31st March 25 will be your normal target (e.g. 1500TPs) MINUS whatever you earned from 1st April 2024 until the end of your current year.
Effectively, you should consider 1st April 2024 as the new start of your next TP earning year for TP collection purposes.

You will get a 1 time points credit 14 days after your year end with the TP you earnt from 1 april upto your previous year end.

Status earned in the new (next) year will be valid until end of April 2026.

How will my current status card expiry date be affected?

BA have confirmed that it will NOT be affected.
i.e. if you have Silver status with a card expiry of 31st December 2025 (having already achieved silver renewal since 8th November 2023) this will not be affected.
If you subsequently drop to Bronze status then this will expire 30th April 2026.

Will I be able to double-dip (use the April 24 - TP collection year end date TPs twice) for Lifetime TPs?

No

Will I be able to double-dip for GUFs etc.?

I don't think we know yet.

If I earn TPs in the Amex TP offer between 1st April and 21st May 2024 (when the offer expires) will these count in the double-dip?

We believe that the answer to this is yes.

Has the 'grace' period for status reduced?

Yes.
Whereas it used to be until the end of the month following your year end (i.e. if you had a year ending 8th October you would be Gold with a card valid until 30th November) everyone will now have a card that is valid until 30th April.
Just under 2 months 'grace' has decreased to just under 1 month.

What about GGL status retention?

BA have confirmed that you must achieve 3000TP, during your SHORTENED/transition year (with the addition of the doubled TPs from April 1st 2024) in order to maintain continuous GGL membership. If you fail to do so your GGL status will expire at the date of card expiry from your last 8-8th year (even though this may be as late as 30th April 2026) and you would need to requalify at 5000TPs again.

This has particular implications for those who may be earning a significant number of TPs in February and March 2024 as these will not be counted into the SHORTENED/transition year.

Worked example (crazy8534)?

crazy8534's current status/TP earning year ends 8th June 2024.
He has already renewed GGL status so has a card that will expire with GGL status on 31st July 2025.
He will earn 2000TPs between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024.

His TP year will reset on 8th June 2024 and he will have 0TPs.
BA will then add the TPs that he has earned between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024 to his current year total (but not his lifetime total), giving him 2000TPs for the year 24/25.
He will need to earn another 1000TPs between 8th June 2024 and 31st March 2025 to renew GGL.
If he renews GGL then his new status will last until 30th April 2026.

If he fails to renew GGL status before 31st March 2025 then it will still last until 31st July 2025 (as per his current card).
He will then fall to either Gold (if earned >1500TPs) or Silver (if earned
Print Wikipost

** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:11 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk, welcome to the BA forum, and it's great to see you here.

I'm not sure I've quite understood it (it's the "do nothing at all" bit that doesn't fit), but let me walk it through the 3 dates.

8 October 2024 - retain silver - Silver until November 2025
1 April 2025 - still Silver, but unclear how many TPs you have now. Let's say 300 - this means you you potentially go to Bronze from December 2025. They may decide to keep ypu as Siliver
1 April 2026 - now the 600 TPs you mention kick in, so you go back to Silver, probably before 1 April 2026 since I doubt it's done on 31 March 2026, You are thus Silver util 30 April 2027

Now you seen the way I've laid it out, hopefully if you fill in my guess work it all becomes clear, but by all means revert back here if I have misunderstood.
As I read it what Docmark1 means is "do nothing at all (for this year and up to great TP-reset date of April 1st 2025) and (then) book (earn) 600 tier points between April 1st 2025 until (and) November 30th 2025".

In that case your timetable holds - but the "true" silver status (rather than the carried-over status) will be re-earned in November 2025, with silver status valid until end of April 2027.

So in summary Docmark1 - yes, your plan will work!
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by nigelw
That would be wonderful if that were true. It would mean that many people would be getting twice as many of the post 1500 TP benefits (GUF's, Partner cards, extra Jokers for example) than they were expecting
If they dont then the only way to reasonably set milestones for GUF etc is to pro rata the TPs required during your shortened TP year but I expect this would be complicated to implement.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by binman
It is therefore in my interest to pick up the 80 tier points I need to trigger gold during the week Apr 1 to April 8 2024 as these will count twice. Is that correct?

Seems bizarre that April end dates get 7 days of potential double points but Jan end dates get
You basically got it right, there is a period of time where TPs are counted for 2 BAEC years, and that's because the second year, as a one off, overlaps the first year. Your second query I don't think you have correct but you haven't stated which year you are talking about. So again I would suggest you just step through the dates one by one, as above, and then hopefully it will be clear. Mind you, I think you are the only person in this thread so far who has articulated what they find confusing rather than just saying "I'm confused".
Kgmm77 and binman like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Do we know what will happen to GUF thresholds? I am getting about 5500tps between april 1st and 7th november. will they recredit these as my new year starts on nov 8th for my short period to march 2025? will i automatically get 2xguf1 + 1guf2 and be on my way to 6000 joker?
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:17 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by crazy8534
If you dont retain GGL by earning the necessary 3000TPs in the SHORTENED TP year (in your case JP Flyer up to the new TP earning year end date of 31 March 2025) even after any carry-over from April 2024 has been added the you will lose GGL status and have to re-qualify (as opposed to retain) at 5000TPs. Your GGL status including CCR access etc. will still last until your card expiry date.

I think the key aspect is that the SHORTENED TP year still counts as a full TP year in the eyes of BA and failing to achieve 3000TPs within that shortened year is going to lead to a break in continuous GGL renewal and so necessitate re-qualification at 5000TPs. As mentioned above by GinFizz there are possibly some fairly extreme edge cases here e.g. if you have an 8th March 2024 year end and are doing a lot of flying between 8th March and 31st March 2024. You may need to replicate that within a very short TP collection year next year. I am personally earning 1200TPs between those dates but fortunately my year end is 8th June and my TP collection is pretty evenly spread.

Effectively everyone has a new TP earning year which starts 1st April 2024 and finishes 31st March 2025 and if you want to retain or earn status you need the appropriate number of TPs within that collection year.

Lots of unanswered questions still about partner cards and GUFs etc. but I think the above is already answered. I am led to believe that there are GGL updates and clarifications coming shortly although I know nothing of them myself.
I don't believe this is correct. It's one or the other period. This is what the the website says (excerpt from March example).
  • Any Tier status you receive during the transition period will expire on 30 April 2026
I also spoke to the GGL team who confirmed this understanding.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
I don't believe this is correct. It's one or the other period. This is what the the website says (excerpt from March example).
  • Any Tier status you receive during the transition period will expire on 30 April 2026
I also spoke to the GGL team who confirmed this understanding.
This is the full text of the March example, which I have annotated in bolded italics:
  • Your Tier Point Collection Year will renew on 9 March 2024 and continue as normal until 8 March 2025 - Normal TP collection year, no change
  • The following collection period will be 9 March - 31 March 2025 - Shortened TP collection year - you still need to achieve the necessary number of TPs to re-qualify as GGL in this period, although you would remain GGL throughout due to your qualification in the previous (normal/old) year.
  • Tier Point Adjustment: we'll add on any Tier Points you earn during 1 April 2024 - 8 March 2025 to work out your Tier status - As per above, the TP adjustment which allows you to earn almost a full year's worth of TPs despite having a shortened year
  • Any Tier status you receive during the transition period will expire on 30 April 2026 - The shortened year gives a GGL card which expires at this time (30 April 2026). This doesn't affect the expiry of your GGL card or status earned in the previous/last '8th-8th) year.

Clearly there is some interpretation in the word "receive".
Are you able to clarify what you think would happen?

I am concerned that some people think if they travel "through" their transition year (9 March - 31st March 2025 in the example above) and don't earn 3000TPs (with the appropriate adjustment) they will be able to retain GGL status. I am 99% sure that is not correct and I am afraid I wouldn't believe a GGL agent even if they said it was. The potential loss is finding yourself with an expiring (now mid-year) status and the need to get 5000 TPs to re-qualify.
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by crazy8534; Feb 7, 2024 at 1:37 am
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am concerned that some people think if they travel "through" their transition year (1 April 2024 - 8 March 2025 in the example above) and don't earn 3000TPs (with the appropriate adjustment) they will be able to retain GGL status. I am 99% sure that is not correct and I am afraid I wouldn't believe a GGL agent even if they said it was. The potential loss is finding yourself with an expiring (now mid-year) status and the need to get 5000 TPs to re-qualify.
Yes, that's also my interpretation. It's a simple message: if you are GGL and don't wish to go through the 5,000 TP hurdle, you must earn 3,000 TP between 1 April 2024 and 31 March 2025. That period will also count for your current year under the old system, to a greater or lesser extent.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Yes, that's also my interpretation. It's a simple message: if you are GGL and don't wish to go through the 5,000 TP hurdle, you must earn 3,000 TP between 1 April 2024 and 31 March 2025. That period will also count for your current year under the old system, to a greater or lesser extent.
Agree CWS although just realised I got the dates wrong in the example and have changed in my OP (should be 9 March - 31st March 2025).

(Crivens it's confusing! , particularly bad when you have been writing 2023 at work all week...!)
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:41 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
This is the full text of the March example, which I have annotated in bolded italics:
  • Your Tier Point Collection Year will renew on 9 March 2024 and continue as normal until 8 March 2025 - Normal TP collection year, no change
  • The following collection period will be 9 March - 31 March 2025 - Shortened TP collection year - you still need to achieve the necessary number of TPs to re-qualify as GGL in this period, although you would remain GGL throughout due to your qualification in the previous (normal/old) year.
  • Tier Point Adjustment: we'll add on any Tier Points you earn during 1 April 2024 - 8 March 2025 to work out your Tier status - As per above, the TP adjustment which allows you to earn almost a full year's worth of TPs despite having a shortened year
  • Any Tier status you receive during the transition period will expire on 30 April 2026 - The shortened year gives a GGL card which expires at this time (30 April 2026). This doesn't affect the expiry of your GGL card or status earned in the previous/last '8th-8th) year.

Clearly there is some interpretation in the word "receive".
Are you able to clarify what you think would happen?

I am concerned that some people think if they travel "through" their transition year (1 April 2025 - 8 March 2025 in the example above) and don't earn 3000TPs (with the appropriate adjustment) they will be able to retain GGL status. I am 99% sure that is not correct and I am afraid I wouldn't believe a GGL agent even if they said it was. The potential loss is finding yourself with an expiring (now mid-year) status and the need to get 5000 TPs to re-qualify.
For this discussion, I think the key word is any the fourth bullet, which would not be said if both were required. I also dont see anything distinct in the text of the second bullet that supports the annotation interpretation about this second period being second required qualification in the transition period.

That said I also dont fully trust the GGl agent and will continue to assess this. I am in that edge case of a March year end and almost 1000 TPs booked between 9 and 31 March this year so I dont want to get it wrong!
danmushman likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
For this discussion, I think the key word is any the fourth bullet, which would not be said if both were required. I also dont see anything distinct in the text of the second bullet that supports the annotation interpretation about this second period being second required qualification in the transition period.

That said I also dont fully trust the GGl agent and will continue to assess this. I am in that edge case of a March year end and almost 1000 TPs booked between 9 and 31 March this year so I dont want to get it wrong!
Very sympathetic to you Woodbinerich and it sounds like we are both doing plenty of travel at the same time this year!
I too don't want people to make an error, and with GGL the re-qualification requirement obviously increases the jeopardy significantly.
Woodbinerich likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
I can't help but think that BA might have just found it easier (though more expensive!) to just extend everyone's existing tier point year to 31st March 2025 and statuses to 30th April 2025
Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:08 am

Yet another basic “timing of flights” question, as my Tier Points have just reset on 8th of Jan 2024, with the transition period ending 22 of Feb’24 (down to 0 TP).

My TP collection year ends 8 January 2025, and player 2’s is June 2025, and I want to maximise the amount of time with status. Should we try to hit Silver:
a) After Feb’24 but before April 2024?
b) AFTER April 2024?
c) It doesn’t matter as long as it’s before January (me) /June (player 2) 2025

For (a), (b) & (c), is my understanding correct that I’ll have status until April 2026?
Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by GeoHurst33
Yet another basic “timing of flights” question, as my Tier Points have just reset on 8th of Jan 2024, with the transition period ending 22 of Feb’24 (down to 0 TP).

My TP collection year ends 8 January 2025, and player 2’s is June 2025, and I want to maximise the amount of time with status. Should we try to hit Silver:
a) After Feb’24 but before April 2024?
b) AFTER April 2024?
c) It doesn’t matter as long as it’s before January (me) /June (player 2) 2025

For (a), (b) & (c), is my understanding correct that I’ll have status until April 2026?
Your best bet is to maximise Tier Point earning between 1 April 2024 and 8 January 2025 for you. If you can front load it within that period, that seems to give you the longest period of time. Fares are generally lowest in November, February and early March, so that's less than ideal. But either way this gives you the most double-counting. For Player2, it's a bit trickier, and it depends where they are now, but their double count period is only 1 April to 8 June 2024, which is fairly short I guess. But if they do get Silver by 8 June 2024, they keep this to end July 2025, whereas if they aim for 1 April 2025 instead they get Silver to 30 April 2026.
GeoHurst33 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by timlewis808
I can't help but think that BA might have just found it easier (though more expensive!) to just extend everyone's existing tier point year to 31st March 2025 and statuses to 30th April 2025
think of all the outrage on this thread on how those only getting 13 months losing out to this getting 23 months etc

transitions are always messy and in effect, any transitory arrangement will have winners and losers be they absolute or relative
Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:51 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Herein lies the big issue. So, let's assume I have earned the required 3,000 TP in the year ending 8th March 2025. Fine, on 9th March 2025, I get GGL renewed until April 30th, 2026. But then, just a few weeks later, on April 1st, I am re-assessed for the new TP year; and it is entirely possible that, in the new assessment, I haven't made 3,000 TP. So, I don't lose my actual GGL status but I have also not requalified for GGL in that new year. So, in that case, for the 01-APR-2025 thru 30-MAR-2026 period, I will either need 3,000 TP to requalify (because I am still GGL) or I will need 5,000 TP to requalify (because I didn't requalify in the previous, transitional period). It is unclear to me which of these cases will be the one the new system will use.

If money grew on trees (and I had a garden with trees in it), I would just book the required flights for that 9-31 March, 2025, to be sure, to be sure. But, alas, I don't have such wonderful trees in my garden. It could also be possible that, for me, this will be irrelevant, as I may have enough flights in the remainder of 2025 to qualify in both the old and new periods. Four round trips to the Far East via an intermediate, 4-flight r/t to Europe gets me 2,880 TPs(*). A couple of other short-hauls gets me to 3k; but getting to 5k is hard work, with my expected travel plans over the next few years.

(*) These trips are typically something like ARN-DOH-BKK (r/t, QR/J) for 560 TPs plus GLA-LHR-ARN (r/t, BA/J) for 160 TPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.