First Class Long Haul Etiquette Question

Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

First Class Long Haul Etiquette Question

My young business partner and good friend has decided to join me for a week in (mostly) France at the end of my trip in April. I managed to get him an award Club seat on the same long haul LHR-SEA return flight I will be taking in First.

Is there any issue with him coming up to the First cabin and sitting on my jump seat for a bit during the flight? If so, is it likely that a kindly FA would offer him anything from the upfront bar?

I will (of course) be guesting him into the CCR prior to this flight :-)

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:08 pm
D1L

Originally Posted by champignon
My young business partner and good friend has decided to join me for a week in (mostly) France at the end of my trip in April. I managed to get him an award Club seat on the same long haul LHR-SEA return flight I will be taking in First.

Is there any issue with him coming up to the First cabin and sitting on my jump seat for a bit during the flight? If so, is it likely that a kindly FA would offer him anything from the upfront bar?

I will (of course) be guesting him into the CCR prior to this flight :-)

Thanks!
If you just have a word with your First crew early on in the flight or once you've settled in, it will not be a problem.

They will happily serve you a drink or 2 from the bar, but will most likely ask that its not during your meal service.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by D1L
If you just have a word with your First crew early on in the flight or once you've settled in, it will not be a problem.

They will happily serve you a drink or 2 from the bar, but will most likely ask that its not during your meal service.
Thank you. I'd assumed as much however that it would likely be crew-dependent.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I think some first class seats do not have a buddy dining option ( or extremely awkward) as the tv monitor is fixed. I think it is the 789?

Regards

TBS
jerry a. laska and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I think some first class seats do not have a buddy dining option ( or extremely awkward) as the tv monitor is fixed. Not 100% on which aircraft type it is

Regards

TBS
Historically speaking and as showing currently, this will be a 787-10, with rare substitutions of 787-9. I don't think there is any real difference in the FC cabin between these two types, although the 787-10 has the new club suites product whereas many/most of the 787-9s have the old club world dormitory seating.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
If there isn't a seatbelt on the footstool, then it's not a 'buddy seat' and can't be occupied. It may not even be weight rated anymore, since it's no longer a seat.

Pity, as my wife and I happily used the 'buddy dining' feature a couple of times in the older cabin.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D1L

Are you serious?

No, the First class cabin should be for First class passengers only.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:12 pm
D1L

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Are you serious?

No, the First class cabin should be for First class passengers only.
In the event you're being serious, then yes, I too am completely serious. It's not as if OP is planning to have a party with an entourage of guests. It's actually a familiar request of First customers and have always respected it as being a glass of wine or a G+T on the buddy seat before said guest tootles back off rearwards.

Ofcourse this is only if (as pointed out by others above) there is indeed a buddy seat on the particular aircraft.

Last edited by D1L; Mar 20, 2023 at 2:28 pm
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You’ll be able to bring a guest up in the 777s & A380 with the older seats. You won’t be able to on the 787s or the refitted 77W
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Even the A380 buddy seats arent so comfortable that you would want to spend more than a few minutes!
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
You can definitely fit a friend on the 787 F seat for a quiet drink or two and I did so recently. They have to be happy to perch on the foot locker. If you time it right the crew usually oblige happily and offer a drink - but please dont put them in the awkward position of asking your friend to leave the cabin - and keep it to the two drinks or so mark. Its a nice gesture, not to be taken advantage of.

It goes without saying not to try this on an overnight flight when other F passengers nearby are sleeping.
renila, D1L, RockyRobin and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D1L
In the event you're being serious, then yes, I too am completely serious. It's not as if OP is planning to have a party with an entourage of guests. It's actually a familiar request of First customers and have always respected it as being a glass of of wine or a G+T on the buddy seat before said guest tootles back off rearwards.
Ofcourse this is only if (as pointed out by others above) there is indeed a buddy seat on the particular aircraft.
Shirley I am being serious.
If this is really BA's policy, then I suppose it's reflective of the fact that we're really talking about J+.
I don't think any other reputable airline allows guests in F, drinking from the F liquor cabinet. :shrug:
JIMCHI and Christian K like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Shirley I am being serious.
If this is really BA's policy, then I suppose it's reflective of the fact that we're really talking about J+.
I don't think any other reputable airline allows guests in F, drinking from the F liquor cabinet. :shrug:
I have been on AF flights and it has been known to happen and also refused by the crew on a different flight. Will be the same on BA, the IFM will decide.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Personally and I think this is still policy a visitor can only come to visit in First if the buddy/footstool as a seatbelt fitted.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Who are all these people that can fit into the buddy seat? I tried it once to have a quick chat with my wife, and it was far too narrow at the shoulders to be something for more than perching for a couple of minutes!
Crampedin13A and VSLover like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.