Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Long Haul Etiquette Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
No it's not. In your opening post you gave the impression he'd never been in a BA F nor the CCR now you say he's flown BA F many times.

I agree, I don't see any reason other than to say. look what I have.

Everyone should stay in their own cabin, even a First passager going to club should be discouraged.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
No it's not. In your opening post you gave the impression he'd never been in a BA F nor the CCR now you say he's flown BA F many times.
I've read and re-read the opening post and I cannot see what you are referring to. Can you clarify what part of the opening post gave you the impression that this person had never been in BA F or the CCR?
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
I agree, I don't see any reason other than to say. look what I have.

Everyone should stay in their own cabin, even a First passager going to club should be discouraged.
Agreed.
sparker72 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

You will have to clarify what in my opening post led you to this conclusion; are you a mind reader?

Originally Posted by champignon
My young business partner and good friend has decided to join me for a week in (mostly) France at the end of my trip in April. I managed to get him an award Club seat on the same long haul LHR-SEA return flight I will be taking in First.

Is there any issue with him coming up to the First cabin and sitting on my jump seat for a bit during the flight? If so, is it likely that a kindly FA would offer him anything from the upfront bar?

I will (of course) be guesting him into the CCR prior to this flight :-)

Thanks!
I didn't give any additional information (such as the fact that he already has a FC award seat on the earlier flight between LHR and SEA on the same day), because I didn't think it was of any general interest nor did it have anything to do with the question I posed.

I also didn't mention that he runs our business and has a credit card he uses for some of our repetitive business expenses that yield him something around 100K miles/Avios PER MONTH. He also, at this point, probably makes as much money as I do, even though it mostly comes from our business whereas my own income is much more diversified, and I am the minority owner of our business. I just didn't think that anyone here would care one way or the other about this stuff and none of it is germane to the question I posed.

I happened to "get" him a seat on MY flight after discussing this with him, when I saw that BA wanted over 90K Avios for the one way itinerary vs. AS requesting "only" 65K miles. These seats just became available today, as far as I can determine. The charges and fees were within a few dollars from either FF program. Obviously, why spend 90K plus avios if you can get the same seats for 65K miles in a program where I have the miles and not him? Again, not anything of interest to those of you here who have read this far, which is why I didn't give the information in my original post.

Last edited by Flyertalker001342; Mar 20, 2023 at 8:01 pm
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:05 pm

are you a mind reader?.
With a missus like mine it seems not!!
In our first F flight I told her to dine with me in the 747 F buddy seat thinking she would love it. Never again, it was so uncomfortable she said!!
mrow and dombo17uk like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

In our first F flight I told her to dine with me in the 747 F buddy seat thinking she would love it. Never again, it was so uncomfortable she said!!
I used to fly mostly on award tickets, which made sense when there was all that available FC inventory on the 747s, but more recently that has dried up and at the same time I discovered the positive aspects of having status . . . . . so I mostly buy my FC tickets (but not when ridiculously expensive) and get the added benefit of status. My upcoming trip is a rarity in that I was able to requalify for GC status during the last 4 months of 2022 with the reduced thresholds, giving me the opportunity to take my upcoming April trip in FC using Avios points.

My business partner on the other hand is cheap and never pays for airplane tickets if he can avoid doing so. He couldn't care less about airline status, either. He benefits from accruing around 100,000 points per month from our business expenditures, and those points can be converted into airline miles with a large number of participating programs, including BA. He's joined me in France a few times before, usually on a whim, and mostly so he can complain about the food in the expensive French restaurants I frequent (he's French and complaining is one of the French national pastimes). But I enjoy his company nonetheless and he's basically my adopted kid at this point.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
There have been reports of BA running out of LPGS on flights. If I were another passenger in F on that flight and BA ran out of whatever I was drinking or wanted to eat, and someone who was not a ticketed F passenger was in the cabin drinking (even for a brief period), I would be annoyed.

The way you described your friend as your “young business partner” and mentioned how you got him the ticket did imply this would be a novel experience for him, as others have said. Especially because it is not, if I were you I would refrain from putting the crew in a potentially awkward situation.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:14 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by champignon;35103942

My business partner on the other hand is cheap and never pays for airplane tickets if he can avoid doing

He's joined me in France a few times before, usually on a whim, and mostly so he can complain about the food in the expensive French restaurants I frequent ([b
he's French and complaining is one of the French national pastimes). But I enjoy his company nonetheless and he's basically my adopted kid at this point.
I think that you’ve said enough Dear, and indeed possibly too much. If he complains purely on the basis of being French, I suggest that he’s best not sitting on a Buddy Seat but either let him sit where is entitled to sit, or go and join him.

I have both British and French nationalities so if I don’t complain about your uncharitable remarks, it’s that I only that I have half the pastime allowance and I used that up at the hairdressers this afternoon.

Do other Fora have these discussions about passengers being allowed in classes for visitation rights? Probably they do not.

Now since I suspect this whole thing is a wind-up, and as I try to follow the rules of this august Forum; I will spare you why I think that this is a complete entertainment feature. What I and half Flyertalk are dying to know is when and on which flight this “Etiquette “ is due to be performed. We’d buy tickets. Performance requires applause.
HIDDY, chris63, mrow and 5 others like this.

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Mar 20, 2023 at 9:26 pm
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:14 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
YIKES....in this day and age you "told" your wife to sit in the jump seat for dinner? You are still living? Brave man! ;-)
uanj, HIDDY and crazy8534 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by kileysmom
YIKES....in this day and age you "told" your wife to sit in the jump seat for dinner? You are still living? Brave man! ;-)
Bravado....I learnt my lesson.
mrow and AnaTravel like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:58 pm

Historically speaking and as showing currently, this will be a 787-10, with rare substitutions of 787-9. I don't think there is any real difference in the FC cabin between these two types, although the 787-10 has the new club suites product whereas many/most of the 787-9s have the old club world dormitory seating.
Our outbound flight is on a 777 with new CW layout and on a 787 with old one late April inbound. I don't know where to check the 787 type.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:30 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
If they’re a novice traveller up front, then what a lovely gesture! I didn’t know BA would permit this but upon reflection, why not?! I might do this for my kids when we’re on our holiday this year, break their monotony back in Y

As for buddy seats, I’ve sat in them on the 380,777 and 747, and I found them fine - and I’m built for comfort rather than speed. I’ve not been on the 787 but experienced new F on the 777. Not impressed at all - a real step backwards in every respect, save for the TV. Love the buddy seat.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My business partner on the other hand is cheap and never pays for airplane tickets if he can avoid doing so. He couldn't care less about airline status, either. He benefits from accruing around 100,000 points per month from our business expenditures, and those points can be converted into airline miles with a large number of participating programs, including BA. He's joined me in France a few times before, usually on a whim, and mostly so he can complain about the food in the expensive French restaurants I frequent (he's French and complaining is one of the French national pastimes). But I enjoy his company nonetheless and he's basically my adopted kid at this point.
I think most of us would prefer not to have to pay for our airplane tickets if we could avoid doing so, and it's pretty mean to call your business partner "cheap" for that. You also seem to resent the fact that he uses the airline miles he accrues to buy the flights he takes rather than splash his cash like you do.

Is this an equal business partnership? It doesn't quite sound like it to me; in fact, you don't seem to like him very much at all. If I were your business partner I think I might prefer to be left in peace in the Club seat that you so very generously got him. Have you asked him?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by Misco60
I think most of us would prefer not to have to pay for our airplane tickets if we could avoid doing so, and it's pretty mean to call your business partner "cheap" for that. You also seem to resent the fact that he uses the airline miles he accrues to buy the flights he takes rather than splash his cash like you do.

Is this an equal business partnership? It doesn't quite sound like it to me; in fact, you don't seem to like him very much at all. If I were your business partner I think I might prefer to be left in peace in the Club seat that you so very generously got him. Have you asked him?
Good lord, back in your box please, talk about OT and personal attacks. Your pseudo-psychoanalysis is not necessary or appropriate.

OP, I'd check out of this thread if I were you. Yes you can have your friend up for a drink. Enjoy.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 3:50 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
The point about having a guest in F is the noise factor. Those who wish it to be a haven of quietness and tranquility will not appreciate two chums having an animated conversation, especially if drinks are involved. Just don't do it.

Hiddy is right: it smacks of showing off your ability to be in F to someone who otherwise can't get into it, and showing off your ability to get them into F for a while when they have no ticketed right to be there; so a double display.
ajamieson, HIDDY and kanderson1965 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.