Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Long Haul Etiquette Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I do appreciate all the comments and do keep them coming.

When I posed the question to begin with, it was because I didn't want to do anything that would "damage the decorum" of the First cabin, while not unnecessarily denying myself and my friend of a pleasant interlude on a long haul flight. Although I have been flying Long Haul first virtually continuously for the last 8 or 10 years, I don't typically have any interactions at all with the other FC passengers, nor do I pay much attention to what they do, unless what they do is directly annoying to me, and that just hasn't happened at all, to my recollection. I do find a parade of back of the plane passengers coming up to use the FC loo to be annoying. Fortunately, this doesn't happen all that often, but it has happened on occasional flights and I do think that should be prevented by the cabin crew.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:38 pm

This wasn’t possible on an o/b 77W due lack of seatbelt but on the return 380 the crew were happy for my buddy to come down from J for a drink. He didn’t want to eat but if he had the crew were happy to bring his J meal down for him. They even said that they’d cobble together something from the F menu if not everyone chose to eat.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EGLK FLYER
This wasn’t possible on an o/b 77W due lack of seatbelt but on the return 380 the crew were happy for my buddy to come down from J for a drink. He didn’t want to eat but if he had the crew were happy to bring his J meal down for him. They even said that they’d cobble together something from the F menu if not everyone chose to eat.
The seatbelt issue seems like a red herring to me; in the case of turbulence with the seat belt sign going on, then the visitor would need to return to his own seat which has a seat belt. I don't see this as being any different than when a passenger is in the loo and is instructed to return to their seat in a similar situation.

Passengers are routinely in the loo or walking down the aisles when the seatbelt sign goes on, and then they have to act accordingly.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All seems like 'showing off' to me.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by champignon
The seatbelt issue seems like a red herring to me; in the case of turbulence with the seat belt sign going on, then the visitor would need to return to his own seat which has a seat belt. I don't see this as being any different than when a passenger is in the loo and is instructed to return to their seat in a similar situation.

Passengers are routinely in the loo or walking down the aisles when the seatbelt sign goes on, and then they have to act accordingly.
Clear air turbulence and decompression. Your buddy won't be able to secure themselves quickly anywhere nearby or grab an oxygen mask. More so risk of in event of decompression. It's a footstool and not a buddy seat for a reason.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:57 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Personally (and I think that the policy is wrong in point of fact), I think that it these crew making up cheese plates are wrong. Whilst kindly meant, it does create expectations Moreover, what if others had friends or loved ones the other side of the curtain? They ask, quite fairly, why their friends etc couldn’t come up for drinks.

This will scarcely make me popular but if this friend means so much to you, why
do you not downgrade so that you can be together? I’m sorry but I the policy is as it is, but I just do not think it fair on the others who have paid to be there.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
My friend/business partner has flown long haul FC on BA many times, and similarly has been in the CCR numerous times. He is currently booked on the earlier LHR-GVA flight in FC on an award ticket, but instead would prefer to travel with me on the same plane as this will give him an opportunity to spend some time with me in GVA the night before and to spend time with me on the day of travel. There is no FC award seating available on the later flight as of now.

Your comment is off base.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:08 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Seriously, why would the other person even want to do this outside feeling obligated? The flight is only 9 hours and you'll have just had a good time in the CCR. I'm sure your junior partner would be perfectly happy to simply enjoy their own experience in J rather than awkwardly perch on your footrest for 20 minutes drinking incrementally better champagne.

To be fair, OP made a nice gesture buying the ticket. Perhaps take it 1 step further and simply let them enjoy the J experience ( after the CCR, of course... )
HIDDY, chris63, mrow and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Personally (and I think that the policy is wrong in point of fact), I think that it these crew making up cheese plates are wrong. Whilst kindly meant, it does create expectations Moreover, what if others had friends or loved ones the other side of the curtain? They ask, quite fairly, why their friends etc couldn’t come up for drinks.

This will scarcely make me popular but if this friend means so much to you, why
do you not downgrade so that you can be together? I’m sorry but I the policy is as it is, but I just do not think it fair on the others who have paid to be there.
This is a much better and well reasoned response than it makes us all look bad.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _fx
Seriously, why would the other person even want to do this outside feeling obligated? The flight is only 9 hours and you'll have just had a good time in the CCR. I'm sure your junior partner would be perfectly happy to simply enjoy their own experience in J rather than awkwardly perch on your footrest for 20 minutes drinking incrementally better champagne.

To be fair, OP made a nice gesture buying the ticket. Perhaps take it 1 step further and simply let them enjoy the J experience ( after the CCR, of course... )
You are kind however the J seat was cheaper through the AS website where I have miles also than it was on the BA website where my business partner has his miles. He is planning to reimburse me :-)
Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
This makes sense because most of one's ticket is for the on-board experience and if you didn't pay for F, then you shouldn't get F service on-board. From my experience of flying in AF's LP, a pax is allowed a guest to use ground services like LP lounge access, car transport, use of diplomatic immigration lanes, etc but nothing in the air and is not allowed in the F cabin, which is fair.

This will scarcely make me popular but if this friend means so much to you, why do you not downgrade so that you can be together? I’m sorry but I the policy is as it is, but I just do not think it fair on the others who have paid to be there.
I will say that from my experience on being on both sides of this, close friends don't really care that they can't afford F while their friend can, or aren't jealous at all because they like having a friend richer than them, especially when that friend is flying them in J for free. Or sometimes, people want some time to charge their social battery by being away from their friend for a bit. Just my two cents, though.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
Of course, if all else fails, you could easily go and join your friend in the CW cabin…
PUCCI GALORE, chris63 and aquanine like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:06 pm

This is wrong. A proper buddy seat with a seatbelt can be used in the case of turbulence - it’s designed and certified as such. This is also the reason why it is not permitted on any aircraft without such certification - it’s actually a reportable safety issue if crew allow it on a 787.

There is a sensible and long-standing policy that allows crew discretion over brief visits to F, where the seat is certified. I wouldn’t want to see that go just because a few abuse it - in my experience both the crew and the pax concerned are careful not to let it get to that stage. And for miserable unfriendly overly-demanding pax, it’s very easy for crew to use their discretion to say no in the first place.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My friend/business partner has flown long haul FC on BA many times, and similarly has been in the CCR numerous times. He is currently booked on the earlier LHR-GVA flight in FC on an award ticket, but instead would prefer to travel with me on the same plane as this will give him an opportunity to spend some time with me in GVA the night before and to spend time with me on the day of travel. There is no FC award seating available on the later flight as of now.

Your comment is off base.
No it's not. In your opening post you gave the impression he'd never been in a BA F nor the CCR now you say he's flown BA F many times.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:16 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Originally Posted by bafan
Of course, if all else fails, you could easily go and join your friend in the CW cabin…
Wonder if it is poor etiquette for First and Business to wander back to WT if the back row of seats is free so they can sit together and have a drink from the rear galley?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.