Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Long Haul Etiquette Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I had assumed that it would be at the discretion of the crew, although done discretely it is certainly much less annoying than what can be a steady stream of passengers from other cabins going up to use the first class loo.

This is a long day flight, and we will have already spent at least several hours together in the CCR, which by any measure is a much more pleasant place to hang out than the FC cabin of a 787 . . . . . I can also go back into the club cabin if need be, where there may even be a couple of empty seats together.

In general, I haven't really paid very much attention to what has gone on in the FC cabin overall, other than for my own seat. If I can make an observation, it seems relatively uncommon for FC passengers on long haul flights to interact with each other unless they knew each other before boarding, although the FC passengers do interact with the crew. When I used to fly routinely in Club, there seemed to be a lot more mingling going on, although with the new suite product I'm not sure that this continues.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:07 pm

Canx and fly Virgin
Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Bunter
Canx and fly Virgin
And fly First Class?
chris63, JAXBA, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Magnus77
I have been on AF flights and it has been known to happen and also refused by the crew on a different flight. Will be the same on BA, the IFM will decide.
Of Course, if you are speaking of "La Premiere" on AF, I think you are talking about a whole different animal than FC on BA, also something that costs a multiple of what FC costs on BA.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
It’s like I always say- if you can sit in the back of a Portofino then you’ll be more than fine in a 777 or a 380 buddy seat.

A pillow at the back would go some way to help!
TheJayHatch, Aledin and LEON_ like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Who are all these people that can fit into the buddy seat? I tried it once to have a quick chat with my wife, and it was far too narrow at the shoulders to be something for more than perching for a couple of minutes!
This.

Unless you happen to be inviting Kylie Minogue to sit with you, First in the 787s is in no way designed for buddy seating/dining. Its not even referred to as a Buddy Seat in these cabins as far as I know... its an adjustable ottoman/footstool, and I may be mistaken but they don't even have seatbelts installed, that strongly suggests that BA realise these aren't intended to be companion seats any longer.

The OPs friend is going to be a lot more comfortable stating in Club I think...
Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by crazy8534
It’s like I always say- if you can sit in the back of a Portofino then you’ll be more than fine in a 777 or a 380 buddy seat.

A pillow at the back would go some way to help!
Sadly, the seat design is not like this on the 787s
Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Magic01273
This.

Unless you happen to be inviting Kylie Minogue to sit with you, First in the 787s is in no way designed for buddy seating/dining. Its not even referred to as a Buddy Seat in these cabins as far as I know... its an adjustable ottoman/footstool, and I may be mistaken but they don't even have seatbelts installed, that strongly suggests that BA realise these aren't intended to be companion seats any longer.

The OPs friend is going to be a lot more comfortable stating in Club I think...
In no way was I thinking that this would be anything lasting more than (maybe) half an hour. For one thing, I actually try to sleep as much as I can during those flights, out of boredom, accumulated lack of sleep on the trip itself, jet lag, etc.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by champignon
In no way was I thinking that this would be anything lasting more than (maybe) half an hour. For one thing, I actually try to sleep as much as I can during those flights, out of boredom, accumulated lack of sleep on the trip itself, jet lag, etc.
You'll be lucky if they last more than a couple of minutes perching on the ottoman. I'm telling you its really not comfy at all. In fact depending on your friends dimensions, potentially not even doable. But hey, you can only give it a go
Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:57 pm

On a long flight back from Tokyo, I politely asked the senior cabin crew if I could invite a friend to join me for a drink. She said a drink or two would be fine and even insisted on finding my friend rather than me wondering back. When my friend arrived, in addition to serving drinks, surprised us with a really decent selection of cheese. Helped pass the time and made the flight memorable.
asar, D1L and Robert279 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Magic01273
Sadly, the seat design is not like this on the 787s
Even on the 777s, the shoulder space between window and folded away tv screen seemed tight to me.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Voda_boy
On a long flight back from Tokyo, I politely asked the senior cabin crew if I could invite a friend to join me for a drink. She said a drink or two would be fine and even insisted on finding my friend rather than me wondering back. When my friend arrived, in addition to serving drinks, surprised us with a really decent selection of cheese. Helped pass the time and made the flight memorable.
It’s crew members like this that give those who are doing job correctly a bad name.
PUCCI GALORE, NoY, chris63 and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:09 pm

reminds me of a ‘party’ that broke out in an A380 F cabin with ‘invited’ guests… one time Ive ever spoken up and complained.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It’s crew members like this that give those who are doing job correctly a bad name.
Why is that giving a bad name. Sounds like discretional good service causing an impact and good memories
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are service standards for a reason, so that customers know what to expect and crew know what to deliver.
Visitors are only permitted to stay for a short visit and can be served a drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.