Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Long Haul Etiquette Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2023, 10:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pampa
Our outbound flight is on a 777 with new CW layout and on a 787 with old one late April inbound. I don't know where to check the 787 type.
I have a cheap subscription to Flightradar24. There are presumably other websites that also can supply this information. On FR24, you search the history of the particular flight number, and they also show which airframe is scheduled to be on the route for the next week or so (subject to changes). This way you can see the pattern of equipment that has been used and will be used. Also, as in my case, I fly this route with some regularity so I notice the changes in equipment that occur from time to time.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by thbe
Yes, but with both flying in F.
I hadn't realised. It was my impression that your PA wouldn't be in F but you might need them at some point in the flight. Maybe that's just how some people have treated it. I was in 2A behind Victoria Beckham once (who had both seats in row 1 on a 744) and her PA was in and out all the time from Club.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I hadn't realised. It was my impression that your PA wouldn't be in F but you might need them at some point in the flight. Maybe that's just how some people have treated it. I was in 2A behind Victoria Beckham once (who had both seats in row 1 on a 744) and her PA was in and out all the time from Club.
My answer to you would have been different, if you were Victoria Beckham.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 10:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I was in 2A behind Victoria Beckham once (who had both seats in row 1 on a 744) and her PA was in and out all the time from Club.
I would have put a stop to that. Pronto. I don’t care who or what she is.

Were I a passenger I’d have kicked off. Big time. Her husband does not behave like that.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 11:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I would have put a stop to that. Pronto. I don’t care who or what she is.
That's one of the issues here.. it depends on how "strong" the in-flight lead is.

I had my worst flight ever on BA in F a few years back (I moaned on here about it at the time). Nothing went right, and a big group of guys in CW (5 or 6) just congregated around their mate in F. It didn't affect me personally too much (I head my headphones on), but my missus said they were loud and annoying. One of the passengers actually asked for the police to be present on arrival as something happened (or was said) that upset her.

The CSD was nowhere to be seen. It was left to 2 young women who had no idea what to do.
adrianlondon and ExpatExp like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I just completed a hike with my business partner, after we spent the morning working with some software suppliers we are in the process of "onboarding." He said that the return ticket he previously booked in FC was for the following day, and he'd rather just come back on my plane in Club than hang around in GVA for another day with nothing to do since I would have already left. He also said that he usually sleeps through almost the entirety of long haul flights so I don't think there will be any issue, anyway. The only time I've ever traveled with him on the same plane in the past was several years ago on a short domestic USA Southwest Airlines flight, out and back the same day, to go look at a piece of equipment we were considering buying. We didn't buy the equipment in the end, but at least we squeezed in a hike outside Denver while we were waiting for our return flight :-)

It was still an interesting question to ask.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
I was in 2A behind Victoria Beckham once (who had both seats in row 1 on a 744) and her PA was in and out all the time from Club.
Well, I had Lionel Richie on one flight to LAX - and Rutger Hauer on the way home. So...nerrr!

Lionel however had the good grace to book his lackey in F, where he could presumably keep an eye on him. Lionel was behind me in 2A however, since he knew his place.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Hasn't it been confirmed that the buddy seat doesn't exist on the B787? So, no seatbelt.

Buddy seat with seatbelt.

Some F flights I've taken have a buddy seat with a seatbelt. Others don't, as stated. I had a quick glance to see if I had photographed the buddy seats. I have used this seat to have a drink with my husband (also in F). I confess to being poor at remembering plane types but many on the BAEC forum are experts on every detail. I can spot the amenity kit brand though. 😑
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:10 pm

Do they serve popcorn in F? Because this thread is riveting!
ExpatExp and gustavmahler like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimbojumbo
Do they serve popcorn in F? Because this thread is riveting!

Yes they serve popcorn
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by Magic01273
Well, I had Lionel Richie on one flight to LAX - and Rutger Hauer on the way home. So...nerrr!

Lionel however had the good grace to book his lackey in F, where he could presumably keep an eye on him. Lionel was behind me in 2A however, since he knew his place.
When flying AF LP or EK F, I'd occasionally see a celebrity in the same cabin. If they were traveling with their partner , it made sense to take care of them and be all close, but, when it was a celebrity traveling with a friend, I always got this feeling that they were distrustful of that person. One example was Kevin Love when I saw him at the LP lounge last year. Him and his friend fell asleep in the booth sofas in the back right next to my booth but he slept with his phone in his hand.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: Some
My personal view on this has evolved over time. I used to believe it was fine on a day flight for a visitor to spend maybe 15-20 minutes in F one time during the flight for a chat and possibly a drink from F but not food items (I have never had a visitor so have no vested interest here, to be clear). I have always believed this to be a bad idea on night flights unless there was only one F passenger given the disturbance and would therefore absolutely express my displeasure to crew if someone else had a visitor on a night flight. However, these days I’m not even sure visitors should be coming to BA F for a drink given BA‘s relatively slim loadings of premium wine and champagne in F. Maybe if they bring their own wine from J…
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:29 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, BAEC Silver
I'm in F for the first time later this year so can't comment on previous experiences but I'm sure part of the premium I've paid is for the exclusivity of the cabin. I suspect if you fly in F all the time that people visiting isn't too much of a bother but for those of us on a one-time visit it's something special.

I appreciate it's a tad snooty but I wouldn't want anyone from any other cabin coming in as a visit (kids or Posh Spice's PA). If you must see someone from another cabin, go for a walk down the plane yourself.
LCSinTexas and spotbeagle like this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AbZorba
. If you must see someone from another cabin, go for a walk down the plane yourself.
Yes but don't be strolling down through the economy cabin wearing your F jammes with a glass of Champagne in hand. You might get things thrown at you!!
Old Mar 22, 2023, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes but don't be strolling down through the economy cabin wearing your F jammes with a glass of Champagne in hand. You might get things thrown at you!!
We have nothing to throw!
ajamieson, HIDDY, bafan and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.