Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2023, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The way I imagine the SOF route is 15+ rows of CE, populated solely by tier point legends who have now been flying the route 4x a day non-stop for the last 3.5 years.

As a mere Gold if I were to fly to or from SOF I would fully expect to have to take a crew seat in the back galley.
you think you would be allowed on the plane as a mere gold?
Old Dec 11, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by JapesUK
But he was FIRST CLASS, what other course of action could there be?
🤣 unpublished first class / GGL benefit for sure!
JapesUK likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 2:36 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by DXB2745
some guy in the arrivals lounge last month was moaning to the staff about the fact he had to wait for the bath thing (whatever its called) and kept bellowing out that hed arrived from a FIRST CLASS flight and should be given priority as he was travelling in FIRST CLASS
And, most likely, the current naked occupant of the desired space was also travelling in F. If said occupant is agreeable, would Mr Impatient FC care to join them, or would he prefer privacy of his own? And what is his preference should a higher ranking customer come along with their own unreasonable expectations? Please complete this BathShare preference form, and thank you for saving water.
strowger, the810, wrp96 and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 3:16 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Surely one of the CCR staff should lead the way, ringing a bell like a Town Crier?

"HEAR YE, HEAR YE. MAKE WAY FOR KARFA, PRINCE OF THE CCR. MAKE WAY, POVVOS, MAKE WAY."
Originally Posted by flyslow
Reminds me of boarding in SOF few years back. Poor bloke must have been simple Gold, not GGL as he didn't have a herald in front of him, so he had to do his own shouting 'Make way, priority card holder coming through, MAKE WAY', followed by shove and push if plebs weren't quick enough to make way.
Yes a staff member should do it. BA should take a page from MH Recognition of Emerald status on board :

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
But they don’t do it with discretion! There was once I walked out of the lav as you did, and the crew spoke (more like announced, rather loudly) to another managing the trolley in the galley to push it aside “to make way for Mr. Carrotjuice, our OneWorld Emerald member” within earshot of other passengers.

I wished for the floor to open up and swallow me then…
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 3:28 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by JAXBA
And, most likely, the current naked occupant of the desired space was also travelling in F. If said occupant is agreeable, would Mr Impatient FC care to join them, or would he prefer privacy of his own? And what is his preference should a higher ranking customer come along with their own unreasonable expectations? Please complete this BathShare preference form, and thank you for saving water.
A shared bath sounds like the ideal place to compare CIV size...
Old Dec 11, 2023, 4:28 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CMiM
I tried to walk into the F lounge yesterday and was re-directed upstairs. My colleague was very quick off the mark and thankfully did a DYKWHI and informed them I was Gold (my very tired brain was wondering if they meant the CCR alas not). Did the trick anyway and my dignity was left intact 🤣
Doing a DYKWIA for being a Gold is a bit tragic IMO....
oceanscape likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by stuckatsilver
Just went through the First Wing at T5 for my first time since making gold in September.

Feel like a fake in here. I have instructions from my wife to explore and figure everything out ahead of our NBO flight from T5 in February. Have 4hrs here before my flight to Sydney.
Good luck working out the new furniture
Old Dec 11, 2023, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Two DYKWIA moments this trip:

1. Get off train at T5C and into the lift with a few crew and one guy on his phone. He's explaining to someone how his wife is in the First Class lounge drinking champagne etc. Finishes call and says SORRY I WAS SPEAKING SO LOUD. I HAD SOME CHAMPAGNES* IN THE FIRST CLASS LOUNGE. Crew don't care.

*(quick side-bar. The word Champagnes sets me off, and if PUCCI GALORE was nearby, I'd have borrowed her for a suitably styled set of insuling verbage)

Lift doors open and I don't see him - but evidently he's on my JFK. So we land, and I'm talking to the IFM by the door waiting for the jetty.

Champagnes Man starts getting involved. IFM and I had chatted a lot, so she knows I know the JFK setup and team very well, and Champagnes man asks how often I fly - because he has 51,500 Lifetime points and flies a lot.

I smile, say a number above his, and as the door opens, Msm2000uk WELCOME BACK. DO YOU NEED ME? is bellowed from the SS guy. I shake his hand, say no thanks, and Champagnes Man asks who I am

2. I pull up to my Portland hotel late last night. I'm tired. Valet tells me hotel is full and he has no parking spaces so I'll need to self-park. I decline knowing I'd rather their insurance covers any issues (Portland is renowned for petty crime).

There's a 10min drop off, so I go inside to checkin and they've upgraded me to the Penthouse floor (fancy name for the 9th floor). However, PH rooms include a parking space, so Reception guy comes outside and barks at the Valet - who says there are no spaces.

Reception guy says to me, I learnt this from the Hilton Bankside team - THAT SOUNDS LIKE A YOU PROBLEM, NOT A GUEST PROBLEM. FIND A SPACE.

Turns out the Reception guy used to live in London, and evidently picked up some useful phrases - he was also an Arsenal fan, so we bonded 🤣

Excitingly Champagnes Man is flying back same day as me next week, so there might be a part 2!

M
51k TP and hes only in the First/Gold lounge, and not CCR..ouch
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Champagnes was British!

Anyone who shares that level of info in a lift, is asking for attention - and sadly none of us cared other than to smile awkwardly.

M
What happened to his wife? She seems to have exited the story with no further credits.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 5:03 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
What happened to his wife? She seems to have exited the story with no further credits.
She was on a later flight that day because it was substantially cheaper (think he said she was a last minute addition)

M
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA bucket and spade Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The way I imagine the SOF route is 15+ rows of CE, populated solely by tier point legends who have now been flying the route 4x a day non-stop for the last 3.5 years.

As a mere Gold if I were to fly to or from SOF I would fully expect to have to take a crew seat in the back galley.
This is pretty much my experience. Having booked a BAH trip to SOF were sat at the back of CE (though sadly not an exit row) while every row in front of us has currently got a single occupant booked in each pair of seats 😊
EuropeanPete and Bluekjp like this.

Last edited by Jeffek; Dec 12, 2023 at 12:01 am Reason: Typo
Old Dec 12, 2023, 12:58 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
She was on a later flight that day because it was substantially cheaper (think he said she was a last minute addition)

M
Or she prefers not to travel with him
antichef, JAXBA, catmndu and 10 others like this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 1:50 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by [/color
Originally Posted by KARFA
I often use the escalators in T5 loundly pronouncing I am just coming from/going to the CONCORDE ROOM. How would people know to get out of the way otherwise.

Originally Posted by Kay_Baden
Your picture is not plastered all over T5 ? so we all know when to courtesy and give way 🤔
Apparently they plastered over his pictures with PUCCI GALORE, she apparently is far more photogenic and holds a champagnes glass better.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 4:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by JapesUK
But he was FIRST CLASS, what other course of action could there be?
Someone should remind them of the difference between a first class ticket holder and a first class passenger, as has been recounted on this board before
Old Dec 12, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by ratechaser
A shared bath sounds like the ideal place to compare CIV size...
I now have images of BA upgrading the bath to one of those huge team baths that football clubs in England always used to have. Everyone can get in together. Only the GGLs get their soap on a rope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.