Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:07 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Have you thought of a TV series? This is epic trolling
He put me in a mood, and it was absolutely worth it.

I'm pleasantly impolite when necessary.

M
Old Oct 22, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
"Don't mess with the FT Blinders"
JimEddie, Nick_USA and alex67500 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:02 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Im not sure why this thread is languishing - perhaps because its no longer particularly OT. So, in an attempt to remedy that, a gentle and unremarkable - but genuine and OT - DYKWIA this evening at LHR loading BA15. Boarding delayed, so the usual mele around the gate. Group 1 called, but difficult to get through with the usual chancers/no-ideas trying to board, and before I could get to the front, group 2 called. No bother, no rush for me, but as I got to the bottom of the escalator one Group 1 got particularly grumpy with a staff member about having to board with Group 2s. I didnt get a chance to board with the Group1s, he said. Yes, sorry, weve had a slight delay so trying to get everyone on board, was the response. Well Im Group 1 and that will be the basis of my complaint, as he strutted off to the queue of 10 people trying to board. Classic DYKWIA.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Im not sure why this thread is languishing - perhaps because its no longer particularly OT. So, in an attempt to remedy that, a gentle and unremarkable - but genuine and OT - DYKWIA this evening at LHR loading BA15. Boarding delayed, so the usual mele around the gate. Group 1 called, but difficult to get through with the usual chancers/no-ideas trying to board, and before I could get to the front, group 2 called. No bother, no rush for me, but as I got to the bottom of the escalator one Group 1 got particularly grumpy with a staff member about having to board with Group 2s. I didnt get a chance to board with the Group1s, he said. Yes, sorry, weve had a slight delay so trying to get everyone on board, was the response. Well Im Group 1 and that will be the basis of my complaint, as he strutted off to the queue of 10 people trying to board. Classic DYKWIA.
Assume 'Grumpy' headed to 1A/1K to continue his rant.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 2:04 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by Nick_USA
He was in 7 something. Im in 1K so I was almost begging that he would try bring me in to the situation, just so this would then turn into a classic DYKWIA (although the whole aircraft boarded from 1L, so there wouldnt have been the and I watched him turn right as I headed towards 1K denouement.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 2:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
He was in 7 something. Im in 1K so I was almost begging that he would try bring me in to the situation, just so this would then turn into a classic DYKWIA (although the whole aircraft boarded from 1L, so there wouldnt have been the and I watched him turn right as I headed towards 1K denouement.
Warning: Potential (brief) thread hijack alert coming up.

Re: Boarding via 1L that's a great way of annoying pretty much everyone.

I have BA15 next month, so I hope you didn't break 1K
Old Nov 20, 2023, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Had a bit of a DYKWIA moment myself at ARN a couple of days ago.

Gate agent coming around the gate area yellow tagging every bag that wasnt a roller bag in sight.

Then they got to me.

I need to tag your bag so it must go under the seat in front.

Id rather you didnt.

But it needs to go under the seat in front.

Id rather it didnt.

But sir, theres not enough room for all the bags on board, so it must go under the seat in front of you.

But Im in Club.

Oh.

And with that they carry on tagging everyone elses bag

Yes, I know I was being difficult, but I really didnt agree with the tagging of every bag in sight, regardless. I could have been in row 1. Or an exit row. A less savvy traveller in the exit row could well have put their bag under the seat in front, then found there wasnt anywhere nearby to store it.

What made the whole thing a bigger farce was the dispatcher came out a few minutes later and said the aircraft (G-TTNO) had bigger overhead storage bins, so if everyone put their bags in correctly, theyd be able to fit them all in no problem
LCSinTexas and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 5:17 am

What you do is let the agent tag whatever they want then rip said tag once they've moved on. It's the most non confrontational way and prevents the "but I'm in Club" line having to pass your lips.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 5:21 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
What you do is let the agent tag whatever they want then rip said tag once they've moved on. It's the most non confrontational way and prevents the "but I'm in Club" line having to pass your lips.
Agree, sensible advice.

PS Also means that you dont have to utter the memorable words DYKWIA.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 5:28 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
'I'm in an exit row' also avoids the dykwia moment and is also almost invariably true for me.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 5:32 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by Nick_USA
Oi! Thats unfair. I wasnt on the flight.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 6:04 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by jwhite9185

Yes, I know I was being difficult, but I really didn’t agree with the tagging of every bag in sight, regardless.......
Get this a lot when I only have the one small laptop carry on bag, I always refuse and this sometimes creates the same back and forward conversation and if they insist I let them tag it htne rip it off when away from check in.

They seem to miss that the tag policy should really be for those with the personal item and a larger carry on.
Ironically I usually stick the bag under the seat so that I have it handy and can keep an eye on it.
johnny_cl likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Absolutely!

I was just in an awkward mood I guess.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Witnessed / overheard in the galley of last nights Boston - Heathrow flight:

Female Passenger: well I specifically requested an upgrade as I am a BA Gold member
Cabin Crew: upgrade to where?
Female Passenger: to First of course, I am BA Gold
Cabin Crew: Im afraid madam that is not how upgrades work at BA

Sadly I had to move onto my seat to avoid blocking the airbridge - but I so wanted to know how the rest of that conversation panned out!!

Pilot37
Old Nov 28, 2023, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Cabin Crew: Im afraid madam that is not how upgrades work at BA
The crew should've put the passenger firmly in her place - "Even if it works that way, there are dozens of GGLs and Premiers on this flight who have higher priority than you."
Markie, wrp96, becks1 and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.