Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2023, 3:16 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Now the REAL DYKWIA would flash his card and tell Eurostar that they're BA GOLD!!
I own up. T'was me some 20 years ago. Heathrow Terminal 1, old bmi lounge, travelling to CDG on a BD flight. I flashed my shiny Eurostar Frequent Traveller Gold card at the dragons but they made me do the walk of shame. This was at the time when bmi Diamond EuroClass tickets were fully interchangeable with Eurostar Premium First tickets on Paris/Brussels routes. I was behind the curtain obviously.
JapesUK likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 3:16 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by SarahWest
...but drinking JW Blue label out of a brown paper cup seems so wrong.
At least its not those ridiculous American red cups
SarahWest likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 4:38 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Originally Posted by DXB2745
No need to sneak, theres takeaway brown paper cups.
Really...? From where does one obtain such a thing?
Old Oct 13, 2023, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by IJN Harekaze
Really...? From where does one obtain such a thing?
I saw them next to the coffee machines near the barista bar in GF earlier this week
Old Oct 13, 2023, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by DXB2745
I saw them next to the coffee machines near the barista bar in GF earlier this week
Ah... GF - a mythical land for this lowly Silver
Old Oct 13, 2023, 4:51 am

youre not missing much - believe me.

Will leave it there before the mods come and tell me off for going OT!
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 4:53 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by richiejv
Im going to break all the rules (rules dont apply to us Golds anyway, right?!) and post a Eurostar DYKWIA, from Paris Gare du Nord today.

There was an American man behind me in the queue for security and passport control and I really wanted to give him a kick in the shins. Every time there was someone to check the ticket so they know youre in the right place, hed just say Im business premier, and then when we were queuing for passport control he called one of the staff over and said Im business premier, why are we queueing? I was seconds away from violence. Unbelievable.

I saw that he got held up at passport control a while longer whilst the wonderful French official flicked through every page of his passport. I enjoyed that.
Maybe the official was looking for his Business Premier stamp?
Old Oct 13, 2023, 5:33 am

I did see a quite amusing one in Seville the other week. Well signed lines for the BA flight (business desk with totem of all who are eligible) and then general line. As is people's want a queue formed for business line quite early even though ground contractor will be paid to do about 2 hours or so pre-flight. They opened up at about 2.5 hours out from departure.

Happily stood in the business queue as we advanced along with a full A321 CE load plus status pax, a man in blazer and hat with wife in tow and gold tags on his bags arrives and rolls himself round the queue to front left of the tensa barrier (1A and 1C for those who wish to know). There is an exchange of looks between him and a few of us at which point he just says he is in business. There were a few people in front of us and almost collectively it was politely pointed out this was the priority queue. A repeat of but I am in business/status ensued, to which there was a semi collective so are we. The reply of oh so you mean we have to join the back was met with a yes afraid so and a point to where it was.

I just found it quite amusing and mean no ill to the gent concerned with whom I did have a pleasant chat waiting for bags at LGW, but I do wonder how he thought it was going to play out any other way.

Last edited by Kranebitten; Oct 13, 2023 at 11:52 am
Old Oct 13, 2023, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I was in the BOS lounge a couple of days ago, where boarding is directly from the lounge. They announced Group Zero boarding and a few people went forward, including one man who was politely turned away and asked to wait for a moment, as he was in Group 1. He announced loudly "but I am a gold elite member and I fly thousands of miles a year with BA so I always board first". The agent was professional and simply said "it won't be long until we call Group 1". Needless to say, Group 1 was called 30 seconds later (and funnily enough probably half the lounge went forward). Is Gold Elite a new category?
Old Oct 13, 2023, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by oceanscape
I was in the BOS lounge a couple of days ago, where boarding is directly from the lounge. They announced Group Zero boarding and a few people went forward, including one man who was politely turned away and asked to wait for a moment, as he was in Group 1. He announced loudly "but I am a gold elite member and I fly thousands of miles a year with BA so I always board first". The agent was professional and simply said "it won't be long until we call Group 1". Needless to say, Group 1 was called 30 seconds later (and funnily enough probably half the lounge went forward). Is Gold Elite a new category?
Like a lot of people, I think group 0 will not have a great deal of value on long haul. But just for things like this, I hope they keep it!!
Old Oct 13, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Not according to your profile ... claiming to be a Silver now might get you a thread mention in your own right

Nick_USA and IJN Harekaze like this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by SarahWest
...but drinking JW Blue label out of a brown paper cup seems so wrong.
Not as bad as drinking it with Coca Cola.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by antichef
Not according to your profile ... claiming to be a Silver now might get you a thread mention in your own right
Bugger it... Knew I'd forgotten to do something today - thanks for mentioning it antichef
antichef and flygirl68 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by antichef

As this is the DYKWIA thread, shouldn't it only be open to golds and above!

(Friday night tease obvs! )
TeflonMan and Delboy65 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Not on BA but AA but she had BA tags on her carryon:

A few weeks ago I landed at DFW at 2am after a miserable diversion to a town in the middle of nowhere. Upon finally making it to DFW, everyone on the plane was directed to a customer service center for rebooking. The only priority service available was for those of us in wheelchairs. One lady, not in a wheelchair, kept trying to cut in front of me "but I'm elite flying business." The first time she tried it, the guy pushing my wheelchair sent her away. The 2nd time my travel partner did. The third time it was the agent who sent her to the very end of the line that had doubled while she kept attempting to cut in front of me. I saw some smirks from a few people in the main line when she got sent to the back of the line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.