Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by AviationMoose
  • Shouting at staff: 'I have to take a train?! They don't do this in Newark!' ...
Ask any New Yorker and they'll tell you that this behaviour is par for the course in New Jersey.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Memories of our first 747 upper deck, where I had completely failed to understand the layout and staggered seating. A very kind gentleman (they do exist) gave up his 64a so that we could be collocated in 64a/b. Afterwards, 63a/b were OUR seats, with her window-side escape manouvre!
This happened to my daughter, she didn't ask for the switch, a kind gentleman asked if she wanted to take his seat to be next to her hubby. She gladly accepted because she was in the first months of her pregnancy and had lots of nausea.

Kind people still exist.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by nathanliu
Boarded nearly last to find the gentleman in 1F hovering over 1D, my seat. <snip>
I had a really funny version of this a few years ago

I'm a little tardy in boarding and find a couple sat in 2D and 2F which is bit odd as I'm in 2F and the seat next to me was supposedly free.

Standing by 01D I hold up my boarding pass and do the British thing of apologizing for them being in the wrong seat. The couple feign confusion and get up to allow me to take my seat. I put my rollerbag in the overhead locker but just after doing so the husband then shuffles in again before me. He realizes his error and stands in the aisle again.

I take my seat and then the husband comes across and starts trying to squeeze into 2E. (The fold down tray table was up). He is fairly large and I tell him that's not a seat. Sternly he points up at the overhead panel (this is an A319) and says that it is. He shows the boarding passes and he and his wife have 2A and 2C. He then moves to 2C leaving his wife in 2D.

After the doors shut they both move themselves to the A/C side. Husband then takes a jab at me, "would have been a lot easier if you'd just sat here instead"....I thought would have been a whole lot easier if you could bloody read, mate.

Honestly...
Greg45, enviroian, Fritz and 33 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
I thought would have been a whole lot easier if you could bloody read, mate.

ROFL!!
Old Oct 10, 2023, 6:53 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
A couple of instances during my time at LHR on Sunday. Firstly in the J/C check-in counters a lady behind me with what must have been 7-8 large suitcases to check-in was moaning like hell after she was asked by a BA agent whether they were all for her? When she replied "no, I am traveling with 2 others but I'm checking them all in whilst they will be here in about an hour" was livid when told that they have to be present with her to check-them in. She really kicked off and actually said the words, "do you know who I am?" and started saying how her husband is a personal friend of the BA Country Manager in her country etc etc. When almost at the head of the queue to see an agent, she was told again in no uncertain terms that she would not be checking the bags in until the others in her party arrived. Lots of swearing then resulted

The second incident was whilst waiting to go into the North Lounge where there was a bit of a queue and two folks in wheelchairs were in front of me, each being pushed by an airport staff member. One of the wheelchair folks got very impatient at not being able to jump the queue so actually picked his walking stick up and prodded the bloke 2 in front of him and said, "you, move out of my way, I need to be at the front". Bloke on the receiving end of the prod reacted furiously and told him loudly that "I don't care if you are in a wheelchair, if you do it again I will wrap that effing walking stick round your neck"

The irony was that the situation was diffused by a staff member suddenly announcing, "the North Lounge is completely full, please all head to the South Lounge" and entitled wheelchair man had to do the same, despite protesting that he still should be allowed in
Old Oct 10, 2023, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
That was a good day for DYKWIA spotting! 😀
BOH, SKT-DK, PAL62V and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Lovely stuff. Sometimes this thread meanders or goes quiet for a bit, and is then excellently resurrected.

Last edited by Horatio; Oct 10, 2023 at 9:06 am Reason: correction
Old Oct 10, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold
Originally Posted by Horatio
Lovely stuff. Sometimes this thread meanders or goes quiet for a bit, and is then excellently resurrected.
I fear the behaviour is disparagingly consistent, and it's simply the reporting which goes quiet...

CB
Old Oct 11, 2023, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by BOH
"I don't care if you are in a wheelchair, if you do it again I will wrap that effing walking stick round your neck"
Other destinations for the walking stick are available !
Funky Spike, BOH, antichef and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 6:47 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Originally Posted by Robert279
Other destinations for the walking stick are available !
True - but would most likely be charged as an extra carry on item
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I was in F dining yesterday in T3 and sitting enjoying a glass of LPGS watching the world go by when an older gentleman came in and started berating the staff about not having being proactively served his meal outside despite it being a buffet.

When it was explained to him about how the F dining worked, he then continued to berate them loudly about how they had been poorly trained. Being a boy from Glasgow and getting annoyed at how he was treating the staff, I also intervened and explained it couldn't possibly be the F dining staff who were at fault here.

A huff and a puff about how much of a joke it was and then he left without getting fed. Hope he flew hungry...
Old Oct 11, 2023, 11:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Good for you for speaking up

The world could do with more people like you!
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PETER01
Good for you for speaking up

The world could do with more people like you!
I can't abide those who are in the priveleged position to be able to fly in premium cabins or access nice lounges yet don't respect the staff/crew.

Not for a BA thread, but last year when I was flying back from IAH to LHR on United, a particularly unpleasant passenger started on a crew member who was wearing a mask. "I can't hear you, take your mask off" (she was perfectly audible). "if you don't take your mask off, get someone else to serve me".

He was right across the aisle from me and I had no interest in him being like that for 10hrs. Again, i challenged him and he was quite sheepish - ultimately these folks are bullies.

About 5 mins later, the IFL came over to me and asked if I was bothered by the passenger, I said yes. He asked another few folk around me and shortly after, the guy was advised by the captain to get off the plane. I slept the majority of the flight but woke up to a nice note from the crew.

Sometimes when there's bad service or an issue it's OK to complain but civility costs nothing.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Originally Posted by Jpm81

About 5 mins later, the IFL came over to me and asked if I was bothered by the passenger, I said yes. He asked another few folk around me and shortly after, the guy was advised by the captain to get off the plane..
I trust that request by the Captain was made mid flight over the ocean
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:14 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Delboy65
I trust that request by the Captain was made mid flight over the ocean
My thought also

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.