Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2023, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by peck
Was treated to quite the show this morning. Sat minding my own business with a bit of breakfast just opposite the entrance to the arrivals lounge when a bit of a commotion broke out. A bloke had appeared and had obviously been told he wasnt eligible to access the lounge. And he wasnt happy. Cue ~10 minutes of the following loud proclamations:

~ Im a gold card holder
~ Get the manager
~ My car is parked at this terminal
~ I only want a coffee
~ I flew in to T3 on a codeshare - look heres my itinerary
~ Im a gold card holder
~ BA is going down the toilet - I can see you dont care
~ This is going to lead to a HUGE complaint
~ Im a gold card holder

etc

Now, I dont know the intricacies of arrivals lounge rules so maybe there is a scenario where he should have been granted access. The poor guy on the desk eventually relented and let him in, and to be honest its difficult to blame him given the scene he was making, especially as the lounge was very quiet. Its the first time in all my years of flying Ive seen such a prolonged and embarrassing lounge scene like this though and made me feel for the staff members. But the DYKWIA bingo was quite enjoyable and I felt worth relating here!
What a sad little man, this DYKWIA. As always, money doesn't buy manners.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by camdentown
It is a legitimate complaint about BA's seats in CE though. The back of the seat is soft and anyone slouching and pushing their knees into the seat in front will disturb the person there ...

One should remember and be wary that people of my height are not slouching and that complaints should be directed to BA management for their densification plan.
BA or bust, wrp96, JapesUK and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
One should remember and be wary that people of my height are not slouching and that complaints should be directed to BA management for their densification plan.
If someone decides to massage my backside with their knees - expect push-back!
Old Aug 26, 2023, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Tocsin
I think you would be sending the wrong signals!
Old Aug 26, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I almost choked on my coffee reading that!
Old Aug 26, 2023, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Point taken - but I think the knee-wrigglers (of whatever gender/ inclination), just don't realise what they are wriggling against, and an equal and opposite movement may just make that clear !
Old Aug 26, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Point taken - but I think the knee-wrigglers (of whatever gender/ inclination), just don't realise what they are wriggling against, and an equal and opposite movement may just make that clear !
Should one offer voluntary leg amputation?
Old Aug 26, 2023, 12:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I hear people pay good money for that sort of thing
Nick_USA likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 3:15 am

Programs: BA GGL / Concorde Room
Nice one yesterday, with a BA Gold tag dangling from her hand baggage throughout. The incident took place in the LHR T4 QR Lounge and onboard QR4 but as her BA Gold tag was prominent, it might be permitted in this BA forum. First, she propped herself up against the wall in the food area of the QR Lounge, talking particularly loudly on her mobile and positioning herself at the entrance to the finer dining area so that (quite remarkably) she could be heard by those in the buffet area and also in fine dining. Next she ambled to the buffet (it's not self service as a glass screen is between passengers and food/servers) and continued to talk loudly on phone while remarkably patient servers tried to assist her. The phone conversation continued as she boarded and sat herself down in the J cabin so those seated in the cabin heard all about her clients, her allegedly utterly incompetent staff (whose qualifications - degrees in medieval history and the like) she discussed so she was perilously close to actually naming them. She ignored the instruction to put phones into flight mode, continued to talk loudly during the safety video, told a cabin crew member who sought to silence her that she had "very important" calls to make, quietened down briefly when that CC stood over her but resumed once that CC went to her own crew seat for take-off. Finally, seconds after take-off, she jumped out of her seat while the seat belt light was still on and had to be directed back to it by the CSD.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold | Hilton Honors - Gold
One from a few weeks back on a trip back from MAD in CE. Not so much a DYKWIA, rather DYKDNDM (Do you know do not disturb me) 😁

Myself & the OH were in Row 1 A/C. When we boarded a lady was sitting on her own in 1F. As usual the lockers in Row 1 were already full on our side and with two cabin bags we made use of the space available on both sides (yes its a contentious subject and no one sat in 1D)

1F proceeded to scowl at us with contempt at us, as we put our bags next to her Marc Jacobs bag that was sitting pride of place on its own in the lockers. She proceeded to get up and make use of wardrobe to store her own jackets and other accessories. (Incidentally I didnt think passengers could access it)

During the course of the flight, we were met with stares, tuts as we enjoyed our flight, (I am a low volume speaker on a flight, to the annoyance of the OH) as did the occupants of 2D/F, one of which was a child who accidentally bumped her seat when going to the toilet, the glare would have melted iron at 1000 paces.

As the flight was coming to end, she proceeded to commence the most elaborate skin care regime I had ever witnessed on a flight. How she managed to get the amount of lotions and potions through security was beyond me, but this regime lasted a solid 20mins.

Upon the seat belt sign turning off, she was up and out the seat with such speed, had I stood up a fraction of a second earlier, her Marc jacobs back would have knocked me back down again.

Suffice to say, the moment the door opened, she whisked herself out and in to the terminal.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
strange experience which included so many of BAs greatest hits of shambolic operations.

walking up to B45 to board with a full scrum of people in one open lane of the barriers with the agent reviewing IDs but not policing groups at all (only group 1 was called) and so everyone pushing to funnel into the one lane and DYKIAS (Do You Know I Am Staff) shows up to the very front and literally uses his arm to create a break/stop the next person from proceeding and then shoves his pass AND STAFF ID in the face of the person who would have been next and then forces himself into the front of the queue and shows the working agent his bp and staff ID/lanyard and proceeds.

after making it thru the gates he was directly ahead of me in the jetbridge and with horror i watched as he opened the bin above rows 1-2 and starts to shove his massive carryon in so i was sure to shove my stuff in the front half to stake my claim as i was in row 1 and he was back in row 4!

as others behind me remarked it is not a good look for any type of staff travel, which, yeah. and this was not some noob young person tikker tok or anything like that either.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by southsquare
she had "very important" calls to make
"Excuse me, ma'am, but we have a very important flight to operate..."
BA or bust, JimEddie and the810 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
Flew back from Rome to Heathrow on Friday afternoon when there was a medical emergency on the flight- an elderly lady collapsed. Crew did a fantastic job in dealing with the situation and as soon as we landed all passengers were asked to remain seated to allow the paramedics to come on board and for the lady to be taken off first before other passengers disembarked.

Once 3 paramedics, a member of airport staff and a BA manager had boarded, the passenger in 1F remonstrated loudly with the cabin crew that she should be allowed off first before the patient. Fellow passengers told her that this wasn't reasonable, however she insisted and it was necessary for the captain to exercise his influence to ensure she remained seated until the unwell passenger had been taken off the aircraft.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by BarelyBAGold
the passenger in 1F remonstrated loudly with the cabin crew that she should be allowed off first
Did she pay at the gate for seat 1F?
DYKWIA, Scotair, PAL62V and 8 others like this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I would like to report myself for sentencing over a DYKWHI episode I witnessed on Sunday 17th in an out of body experience.

Ensconced in GF about T-60 for a flight to Faro. I watched on FR24 the incoming aircraft arrive about 20 minutes late but still 50 minutes prior to our departure. As it taxied into a B gate, I looked at the monitor in GF which had changed to B46 with the statement "Boarding Now". The aircraft had not parked at the gate and yet the boards were stating boarding had commenced.

Before I report my episode, I understand that a SH going from B or C gates is unusual and that I understand why the gate agents may have done this to get people to B-gates rather than them finding at T-10 there are a good few just leaving Spoons in A gates and checking where to go.

I gave it 15 minutes and then ambled to B gates where, surprise surprise Cilla, they were not boarding, except the 40+ group of families and those gate checking bags for free group -1 boarding. The gate agent was making announcements about a serious delay or even if "you" delayed the flight and we miss our take off slot, a potentially cancelled flight if insufficient bags were checked. Almost every passenger went to try to board as they arrived at the gate, only to be scorned and sent back at the entrance to the queuing area.

Eventually, I asked the gate agent "had BA taken another step towards becoming Ryanair", in announcing boarding before the incoming aircraft had arrived. He answered that boarding at T-60 was common practice and quiet normal on BA. I corrected him and added that treating and talking to all passengers like idiots just to compensate for the few that were idiots was inappropriate and that it just confirms that BA want to be more Ryanair. Of course he had no answer to this as much as I understood why they did it. He offered to fetch the manager, but agreed it was pointless as the damage was done.

Just before boarding, a passenger turned up with a ticket for the much delayed earlier flight to FAO which was still showing as boarding from A8. His answer was I cannot help you, you must phone BA without offering a phone number, use of a phone or any further suggestions.

Boarding did not commence until after departure time so the flight was showing boarding for about 1 hour when no such thing was happening. Adding insult to injury, the escalator was not working so those needing assistance who were permitted to board early were stood waiting for the lift while everybody else went ahead using the stairs.

So, was I being a real DYKWIA in comparing BA to Ryanair or was I showing my inner Michael Douglas and just standing up for my rights as a consumer?

In other news, the Gold wing had excellent staff and no queues, GF was a zoo with almost nowhere to sit, a temperature of 26 degrees and a school canteen food offering. The flight operated by Finnair was a delight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.