Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Recognition of Emerald status on board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2023, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WOH Globalist, AA Platinum, CX DM, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold Preferred

I wonder if CX is the only airline in OW which will somehow recognise other OW airline's Emerald on board (Not CX DM, I mean).
- Greet by ISM
- Offer of a bottle of so called DM water (Not always)
- Bring asked of meal choice first.

But being a CX DM, received no similar level of recognition on other OW airlines I travelled (IB, BA, AA, QR, JL...)

Any experience?
Old Nov 9, 2023, 10:57 pm

Regarding CX, not sure if it's new, but I noticed during my recent flights, all the FAs addressing OWEs (assume CX DMs also) by name. I was taken aback when the FA near the door uttered, "Bye bye, Mr. V." This was J, not F.

I don't recall any OWE recognition on any other carrier, and certainly not AA, AS or BA. Maybe on JL, but I really can't recall. My most recent JL flight, there was no recognition.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
my observations precovid OWE tend to get greetings (if ur lucky water) from the ISM.

my recent experience that has changed to only CX DMs.

I've got the odd greeting on MH even in Y.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 5:01 am

Traveled with a CX DM friend who got recognition on AY (in Y+).
Old Nov 10, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: MPC GO, SPG/Marriott Gold
Travelled economy from SIN to HKG last week and the person beside me got a PEY meal. And ISM came twice to take meal order and greet. I dunno if he was DM or OWE. I was greet by ISM (GO).
Old Nov 10, 2023, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tonychowmh
I wonder if CX is the only airline in OW which will somehow recognise other OW airline's Emerald on board
No. They are not the only OW airline that does that.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:19 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
as OWE i always get bottle water in econ. dont care if they called me Mr Chan or Mr White, but getting asked for menu preference in all class of travel is handy. never asked for J wine when on economy so wont know.

personally i wish they focus on consistent superior product offering than ad hoc "recognitiOn".
moondog likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA GfL
MH is another one that does it consistently. On one of my flights to CGK, an auntie type FA greeted me before take off and, soon after that, a junior FA brought a bottle of water, pillow and blanket. Later as I was getting out of the lav, the aisle was blocked when they were serving meals and the auntie motioned to the young FAs to move the cart and let me through.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Peregrine415
MH is another one that does it consistently… Later as I was getting out of the lav, the aisle was blocked when they were serving meals and the auntie motioned to the young FAs to move the cart and let me through.
But they don’t do it with discretion! There was once I walked out of the lav as you did, and the crew spoke (more like announced, rather loudly) to another managing the trolley in the galley to push it aside “to make way for Mr. Carrotjuice, our OneWorld Emerald member” within earshot of other passengers.

I wished for the floor to open up and swallow me then…
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:47 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
just boarded NRT-HKG in Y
upon boarding my seat had pillow, blanket, and water.

i must admit i get out of way to fly CX on Asia weekend getaround because of the "recognition"... puttingg these item on my seat cost CX nada, but i spend extra 100US to fly CX.because of it
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:52 am
Suspended

London crews have been told the SOP is not to gteet DM. Why would an ignorant Pr**k in manangemnt do this and justify it.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by leosantos
London crews have been told the SOP is not to gteet DM. Why would an ignorant Pr**k in manangemnt do this and justify it.
Perhaps they feel that making feel entitled or akward isn't a net positive?
Old Nov 12, 2023, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by leosantos
Ah, while I think most appreciate the recognition and small talk, there's probably a minority who would rather just dispense with it. It's fine in F, but kind of awkward in J or Y, in my view. I think CX has gotten the message, and now only drop for a simple greeting rather than engage in small talk, which is perfect. I am however impressed they or anyone remember my name, which I've always found unusual where I'm from.

By the way, nothing wrong with enjoying small talk, I just never developed the talent to converse easily with those with whom I'm not familiar or acquainted.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 4:42 pm

The DYKWIA syndrome is alive and well!
Old Nov 12, 2023, 11:35 pm

Programs: QR Plat
I'm mostly new to CX (except pre-pandemic with quite a few legs on SIN-BKK and back), and I found that as an OWE there is a senior staff that comes to greet me. What felt strange (mot good, not bad), is they show up with an iPad, try to pronouce my name, say hello, and then it seems they stop in their tracks and there is no purpose to the interaction. To me at least that seems a bit strange.

TL;DR - Don't mind if they do, don't mind if they don't.

-A

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.