Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Systems Down" 22-26 Feb 2022 [General discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Because of the scale of the disruption resulting from an IT system outage, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers.

Your travel plans are probably in tatters, you should give BA a chance to fix things for you.

Firstly do not cancel or refund or credit to a voucher your ticket if this option exists as you effectively voluntarily cancel the contract for transportation with BA by doing so and hence end any right to claim for replacement transport, duty of care, or anything else.
​​​​​​
If BA.com is working, at least give it a go and see if Manage my Booking is giving you any sensible options. You don't have to take the option(s) presented if they do not meet your needs and you might be able to find better options yourself. However, not that by default BA will be only offering rebooking onto BA and any Joint-Ventre carriers and possible OneWorld partners. If there are no sensible options, document it (take a picture). Also try the BA app, it may work when the website doesn't, or vice versa. Take a screenshot of any errors you get when trying to log in or do anything reasonable.
Try calling the call centre. You probably won't get through in a sensible length of time, but document that you made several calls. Take a screenshot and save it.

If you have made reasonable attempts to contact BA and have not been able to do so, this now puts you in a strong position to organise your own onward travel arrangements, and to claim the difference from BA later. You need to act reasonably, choose travel arrangements that are similar where possible to what you had purchased from BA, and where possible you should document with photos or screen shots that the actions you are taking are reasonable, there are no other cheaper options. Even if you don't plan to use it for booking, use a comparison service to show current market costs for the transport you are choosing. BA should respond positively to customer service claims for the cost of onward transport where you can show that BA were unable to provide you timely assistance to rebook. You should do this bearing in mind what coverage you might have from your own travel insurance policy and whether your planned trip is salvageable or if it is entirely in vain and should be abandoned. Note that BA are not responsible for consequential costs beyond their initial contract for transport, but any insurance you may have could be.
​​​
BA have a duty of care under the UK successor to EU Regulation 261/2004 and based upon forum experience the following costs would usually be claimable from BA without any significant pushback.

£25 for reasonable meal/refreshment expenses (per adult per day)
2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required in a location a significant distance from your home address
£200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
£50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care as indicated above, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met, but having additional evidence or justification for costs going over these limits would be sensible. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amaged-baggage

Set your expectation for the turnaround time for any refunds, claims, etc. It could be more like weeks rather than days, consider this if cashflow is concern.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.
Print Wikipost

"Systems Down" 22-26 Feb 2022 [General discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
I kinda get the loyalty to BA, but at this point, why?
This last week definitely pushed my decision to book my upcoming TATL J trip to AC over BA. Travel is a pain even without what is going on with BA recently. If I drop to Silver not sure I really care any more
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just logged into BA site and all seems ok, went to account page and nothing amiss…
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by matticusbond
Seems the entire BA site is down once again? Anyone else seeing this? Just trying to visit the BA homepage....

I am still getting this screen too
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Moonstone1234
Could it get any worse for BA? Cheap IT systems, staff who have had it battered out of them to help out in a crisis, awful pay and conditions but charge a premium price of course.

I really hope BA are listening and not holding internal meetings where they are all yes people. There should be some robust conversations going on. Bring back experience, not some cabin crew member who looks about 12 and lives at home with his Mum and Dad because that is the only people they can recruit. God forbid they are the people you are relying on in the event of an emergency or when they are trying to placate frustrated passengers.

FOR GOODNESS SAKE BA - GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER NOW OR YOU WILL GO THE WAY OF WOOLWORTHS, BHS ETC.

Moonstone,

As an Inflight Manager I feel your pain.

In her wisdom, our “ current” head of cabin crew got rid of a seniority based working position allocation system which has spectacularly backfired on her.

So before, Jilly, Jonathon and Penelope, who’d all done 25 years plus,were working in Club World and First. They knew the service inside. Better than I did.

Now working position allocation is done on a rotating alphabetical order, regardless of experience. So now Kylie, Nathan and Star are in Club and First with little experience.

The experienced crew are still here. They’ve just moved to the back to stay out the way of the embarrassment of Club World and First.

Unfortunately I can’t move away and have to take the brunt of it.

I am terribly sorry. I really am.

Last edited by Ian429; Feb 23, 2022 at 2:01 pm
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Procedures for logging into BA.com

1. Click login and enter details
2. Cross your fingers
3. Hold your breath
4. Pray
ademanuele, haroon145 and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just had a cancellation thru fir my flight LHR-AUS on Friday. Email telling me to go to MMB and review rebooking options. But you’ve guessed it, website is not showing any cancellation, and hence no rebooking. The app is showing cancelled, but again no options. 🤬
What a s#1t show!!
superweak likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
We were caught up in the disruption yesterday. Got home a day late. Just filed our expenses (hotel, meals and transport) and EU compensation claims amounting to hundreds of pounds. But hey, I'm sure BA is happy to pay out safe in the knowledge they are 'saving millions' by outsourcing their IT...
jrfsp320 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Ian429
Moonstone,

As an Inflight Manager I feel your pain.

In her wisdom, our “ current” head of cabin crew got rid of a seniority based working position allocation system which has spectacularly backfired on her.

So before, Jilly, Jonathon and Penelope, who’d all done 25 years plus,were working in Club World and First. They knew the service inside. Better than I did.

Now working position allocation is done on a rotating alphabetical order, regardless of experience. So now Kylie, Nathan and Star are in Club and First with little experience.

The experienced crew are still here. They’ve just moved to the back to stay out the way of the embarrassment of Club World and First.

Unfortunately I can’t move away and have to take the brunt of it.

I am terribly sorry. I really am.
It doesn’t seem that long ago when Jilly, Jonathan and Penelope were in all cabins.

My first real memories of travelling BA are from the mid/late 90s, and I remember being fussed over by cabin crew, in the manner of a friendly house mistress. Flight deck visits being offered frequently etc.
Crampedin13A, IAMORGAN and Ian429 like this.

Last edited by krispy84; Feb 23, 2022 at 2:53 pm
Old Feb 23, 2022, 2:43 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by krispy84
It doesn’t seem that long ago when Jilly, Jonathan and Penelope were in all cabins
Indeed Krispy.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Ian429
Indeed Krispy.
Don’t worry Ian, we still recognise who the quality are.

I can’t speak to long haul, but have flown a fair amount of Club Europe in the last year and a half. My view is that service has actually been good overall, but not what it used to be. The polish, and quality has diminished.
Ian429 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by krispy84
It doesn’t seem that long ago when Jilly, Jonathan and Penelope were in all cabins.

My first real memories of travelling BA are from the mid/late 90s, and I remember being fussed over by cabin crew, in the manner of a friendly house mistress. Flight deck visits being offered frequently etc.
It doesn’t look like this any more.

jrfsp320, guytp and Ian429 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by zanderblue
Just had a cancellation thru fir my flight LHR-AUS on Friday. Email telling me to go to MMB and review rebooking options. But you’ve guessed it, website is not showing any cancellation, and hence no rebooking. The app is showing cancelled, but again no options. 🤬
What a s#1t show!!
Sounds familiar. Managed to get on an American connection today through JFK, but the incredible security lines ("systems are down") mean that the idea of a one hour connection time in T5 is complete nonsense. For once I wish I was on a T3 connection.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
It doesn’t look like this any more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wKOcOdR9i3o
I enjoyed this so much. I actually forgot how many crew used to be in short haul cabins.
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Perhaps time for a new dramatic master thread "Today's Disaster at British Airways" ?
Still needed! Threads starting with "Chaos / Nightmare / Disaster / Shambles" becoming more common
noFODplease, LCSinTexas and Ian429 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:00 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
So, does this system failure extend to the bit where you need to upload your documents for review by BA. Uploaded yesterday late afternoon, they cam back just now stating I did not upload my Covid test result (which I did). So went back in upload again and there is no option to attach a file . I can only submit again without changing anything! Just hope T5 is not a mess as I will have to check in at the airport and don't have loads of time. But curious if this system is impacted as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.