Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Systems Down" 22-26 Feb 2022 [General discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Because of the scale of the disruption resulting from an IT system outage, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers.

Your travel plans are probably in tatters, you should give BA a chance to fix things for you.

Firstly do not cancel or refund or credit to a voucher your ticket if this option exists as you effectively voluntarily cancel the contract for transportation with BA by doing so and hence end any right to claim for replacement transport, duty of care, or anything else.
​​​​​​
If BA.com is working, at least give it a go and see if Manage my Booking is giving you any sensible options. You don't have to take the option(s) presented if they do not meet your needs and you might be able to find better options yourself. However, not that by default BA will be only offering rebooking onto BA and any Joint-Ventre carriers and possible OneWorld partners. If there are no sensible options, document it (take a picture). Also try the BA app, it may work when the website doesn't, or vice versa. Take a screenshot of any errors you get when trying to log in or do anything reasonable.
Try calling the call centre. You probably won't get through in a sensible length of time, but document that you made several calls. Take a screenshot and save it.

If you have made reasonable attempts to contact BA and have not been able to do so, this now puts you in a strong position to organise your own onward travel arrangements, and to claim the difference from BA later. You need to act reasonably, choose travel arrangements that are similar where possible to what you had purchased from BA, and where possible you should document with photos or screen shots that the actions you are taking are reasonable, there are no other cheaper options. Even if you don't plan to use it for booking, use a comparison service to show current market costs for the transport you are choosing. BA should respond positively to customer service claims for the cost of onward transport where you can show that BA were unable to provide you timely assistance to rebook. You should do this bearing in mind what coverage you might have from your own travel insurance policy and whether your planned trip is salvageable or if it is entirely in vain and should be abandoned. Note that BA are not responsible for consequential costs beyond their initial contract for transport, but any insurance you may have could be.
​​​
BA have a duty of care under the UK successor to EU Regulation 261/2004 and based upon forum experience the following costs would usually be claimable from BA without any significant pushback.

£25 for reasonable meal/refreshment expenses (per adult per day)
2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required in a location a significant distance from your home address
£200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
£50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care as indicated above, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met, but having additional evidence or justification for costs going over these limits would be sensible. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amaged-baggage

Set your expectation for the turnaround time for any refunds, claims, etc. It could be more like weeks rather than days, consider this if cashflow is concern.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.
Print Wikipost

"Systems Down" 22-26 Feb 2022 [General discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 12:54 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Also, I knows there’s no connection with the egates but about 8/10 people were being rejected by the stupid machines. A lot higher proportion than normal I think.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 12:55 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
More cancellations

There also appear to be a lot of British Airways cancellations from LHR again today – will this still be weather-related or is it a Covid problem, in the staff are isolating at home. Seems to be a mix of long haul and short haul.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:05 am

Ah, BA.. and the twosday bug.

What a surprise.
Silver Fox, CaroFos and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:14 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Also, I knows there’s no connection with the egates but about 8/10 people were being rejected by the stupid machines. A lot higher proportion than normal I think.
I wonder if there is a connection in any way? When the BP is scanned at the e-gate, does that system usually make any verification check with BA's systems to ensure that the BP is actually a valid one? Or is there no need to...all verification is considered complete by the time you get to the e-gate?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:24 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BOH
I wonder if there is a connection in any way? When the BP is scanned at the e-gate, does that system usually make any verification check with BA's systems to ensure that the BP is actually a valid one? Or is there no need to...all verification is considered complete by the time you get to the e-gate?
I was referring to the passport egates before you get to the automatic gates where you scan your boarding pass.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:30 am
BOH

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I was referring to the passport egates before you get to the automatic gates where you scan your boarding pass.
There are Passport e-gates on departure at LHR before you get to the BP ones?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BOH
There are Passport e-gates on departure at LHR before you get to the BP ones?
I think it referring to UK/DUB connections where you go through immigration first (e passport gates are available) and then use the automatic gates to scan your bp and do biometrics.
GUWonder and BOH like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:37 am
BOH

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think it referring to UK/DUB connections where you go through immigration first (e passport gates are available) and then use the automatic gates to scan your bp and do biometrics.
Ah OK. It did puzzle me
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I guess yesterday's storm has knocked over a tree initially damaged by storm Eunice so a branch fell into a small stream or creek hence the water was damming up which led to the flooding of an IT centre where a IT consultant on the cheapest day rate brought in earlier by Alex C tried a hard restart and the next IT consultant who tries to recover the system had his laptop checked in for his flight to LHR on Friday so can't do anything now hence all is just bad luck and out of their control but hey as Sean Said everything will be soon better at least Champagne is back in Galleries.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:42 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I cannot log into my BA account or access a reservation, anyone else still having issues?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by kbooks66
I cannot log into my BA account or access a reservation, anyone else still having issues?
Hi

yes,
The app is not working for me

Regards

TBS
Lawro likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yes, trying to fly back to London today. Flight cancelled. Can’t log into BA.com or the app. On hold to the Gold line…
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:51 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Currently on BA0830 sat a T5. Pilot has announced entire ops system is down and it’ll be an indefinite wait.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I'm really begin to worry about my 1815 BRU-LHR in a couple of days...
if BA cancels it "last minute" (evening before or even same morning), is there any chance to be moved to the evening SN service? Or to get reimbursement for alternative flights or train service?
Can't depart before 17:00 but also cannot wait or the next day.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Starship73
Yes, trying to fly back to London today. Flight cancelled. Can’t log into BA.com or the app. On hold to the Gold line…
Got through to the Gold line. They said there is nothing they can do in terms of rebooking because their systems are down. They will ring me back whenever their systems come back up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.