Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Systems Down" 22-26 Feb 2022 [General discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Because of the scale of the disruption resulting from an IT system outage, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers.

Your travel plans are probably in tatters, you should give BA a chance to fix things for you.

Firstly do not cancel or refund or credit to a voucher your ticket if this option exists as you effectively voluntarily cancel the contract for transportation with BA by doing so and hence end any right to claim for replacement transport, duty of care, or anything else.
​​​​​​
If BA.com is working, at least give it a go and see if Manage my Booking is giving you any sensible options. You don't have to take the option(s) presented if they do not meet your needs and you might be able to find better options yourself. However, not that by default BA will be only offering rebooking onto BA and any Joint-Ventre carriers and possible OneWorld partners. If there are no sensible options, document it (take a picture). Also try the BA app, it may work when the website doesn't, or vice versa. Take a screenshot of any errors you get when trying to log in or do anything reasonable.
Try calling the call centre. You probably won't get through in a sensible length of time, but document that you made several calls. Take a screenshot and save it.

If you have made reasonable attempts to contact BA and have not been able to do so, this now puts you in a strong position to organise your own onward travel arrangements, and to claim the difference from BA later. You need to act reasonably, choose travel arrangements that are similar where possible to what you had purchased from BA, and where possible you should document with photos or screen shots that the actions you are taking are reasonable, there are no other cheaper options. Even if you don't plan to use it for booking, use a comparison service to show current market costs for the transport you are choosing. BA should respond positively to customer service claims for the cost of onward transport where you can show that BA were unable to provide you timely assistance to rebook. You should do this bearing in mind what coverage you might have from your own travel insurance policy and whether your planned trip is salvageable or if it is entirely in vain and should be abandoned. Note that BA are not responsible for consequential costs beyond their initial contract for transport, but any insurance you may have could be.
​​​
BA have a duty of care under the UK successor to EU Regulation 261/2004 and based upon forum experience the following costs would usually be claimable from BA without any significant pushback.

Ł25 for reasonable meal/refreshment expenses (per adult per day)
2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required in a location a significant distance from your home address
Ł200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
Ł50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care as indicated above, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met, but having additional evidence or justification for costs going over these limits would be sensible. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amaged-baggage

Set your expectation for the turnaround time for any refunds, claims, etc. It could be more like weeks rather than days, consider this if cashflow is concern.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.
Print Wikipost

"Systems Down" 22-26 Feb 2022 [General discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Good one Has anyone checked to see if the IT Apprentice has taken the server plug out to plug in his phone charger?
I think you’ll find they’re the CTO now
scoonee, Silver Fox, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Yes, I agree but I think Alex is just reporting what BA have said in their statement and on twitter from the official BA channel.
The question for me though is whether at this time on a Friday evening BA would have the staff and expertise available to accurately make an assessment like that, particularly when we might be talking about a sophisticated attack by a state-backed operation?
If you want to cause maximum trouble then this is probably the time of week you would choose.
BA would have the resources internally and via partners.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA: ex-Silver, now Blue. VS: Gold
ba.com has finally loaded, but logging in is still an issue:

The "information page" does not exist, FWIW.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Yes, I agree but I think Alex is just reporting what BA have said in their statement and on twitter from the official BA channel.
The question for me though is whether at this time on a Friday evening BA would have the staff and expertise available to accurately make an assessment like that, particularly when we might be talking about a sophisticated attack by a state-backed operation?
If you want to cause maximum trouble then this is probably the time of week you would choose.
Yes and of course one could speculate (just to further the rumour mill - no hard evidence):-

1) A bit like with certain ‘tipping off’ offences under POCA I wonder whether HMG would currently want that info made public & to what extent they have formal & informal channels to stop it - either within or outwith the airline. “Apologies for our delayed departure to Kuwait, we have a ‘fault with the APU’ which we’re just having fixed…”
2) People assume attacks only come from outside the organisation.

As I have said, BA perfectly capable of doing this without special assistance (and Russia may well have better things to do), particularly if people are off on half term and can’t access remotely due to aforesaid systems outage. But it wouldn’t surprise me either way!

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Feb 25, 2022 at 4:01 pm
Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Originally Posted by Krisz
BA would have the resources internally and via partners.
It never ceases to amaze me the amount businesses which are essentially a 24/7 operation yet key depts/personnel are virtually uncontactable outside Mon to Fri, 9am to 5pm.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC
Longhaul departures seem to have got away, albeit very delayed. Shorthaul overnights cancelled.

Baggage reclaim an absolute zoo, with 1.5-2hr waits for hotel bookings. Flight rebooking automatic - but unable to share rebooked flight times due to system being down..
Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
So I came here to see what was going on with ba.com. quelle surprise - it's down.

I didn't have anything urgent to do, I was hoping to book a seat selection. I guess I'll just have to wait til things are working again.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: OW
OLCI seems back in action…
Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

One person with a captains arrival PA on twitter w8th the cyberattack hashtag on twitter. Other tweets from them indicated captain had to contact operations on cellphone.

More than embarrassing not to know how long it will take for buses to arrive.
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
BA.com back up but can't log in while they "upgrade their systems"
Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: IB Platino/OWE, LX SEN/*G, TP Gold/*G, ALL Accor Platinum
I have an IB+BA flight tomorrow and just called Iberia Platino (Emerald) service regarding this. Iberia system is also affected. The agents cannot log into Amadeus. So it looks like a bigger (IAG) thing.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:10 pm

Baggage for some flights in T5 seems to be coming 3 hours after the flights land.

Bags just coming now for BA407 at 00:08, which landed at 21:02. Lots of luggage circling, no one collecting. Seems like everything is breaking down.

How early do we need to be for flights tomorrow and will they actually go?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

Made it to lhr this afternoon just in time at 1430 from edi. No problems with bag reclaim

However off to dxb tomorrow at 2020 and unable to checkin online at ( verifly is completed sucessfully)

Not too worried at the moment as I am in F and planning on arriving at 1400 to enjoy thr ccr.

However the continuing issues does have me concerned for the future could gave flown non stop from Scotland with Emirates but do like ba even with the connection via lhr)

Regards

Tbs
Carfield, Silver Fox and crazy8534 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:26 pm

Programs: OW
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
However off to dxb tomorrow at 2020 and unable to checkin online at ( verifly is completed sucessfully)
When did you submit your docs - before the outage? Mine are still under "assessment" for a 6pm ish departure tmrw. What a shambles - hope it all clears up overnight!
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60533275

No cyber attack according to BBC, just some IT problems.
becks1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.