Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Systems Down" 22-26 Feb 2022 [General discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Because of the scale of the disruption resulting from an IT system outage, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers.

Your travel plans are probably in tatters, you should give BA a chance to fix things for you.

Firstly do not cancel or refund or credit to a voucher your ticket if this option exists as you effectively voluntarily cancel the contract for transportation with BA by doing so and hence end any right to claim for replacement transport, duty of care, or anything else.
​​​​​​
If BA.com is working, at least give it a go and see if Manage my Booking is giving you any sensible options. You don't have to take the option(s) presented if they do not meet your needs and you might be able to find better options yourself. However, not that by default BA will be only offering rebooking onto BA and any Joint-Ventre carriers and possible OneWorld partners. If there are no sensible options, document it (take a picture). Also try the BA app, it may work when the website doesn't, or vice versa. Take a screenshot of any errors you get when trying to log in or do anything reasonable.
Try calling the call centre. You probably won't get through in a sensible length of time, but document that you made several calls. Take a screenshot and save it.

If you have made reasonable attempts to contact BA and have not been able to do so, this now puts you in a strong position to organise your own onward travel arrangements, and to claim the difference from BA later. You need to act reasonably, choose travel arrangements that are similar where possible to what you had purchased from BA, and where possible you should document with photos or screen shots that the actions you are taking are reasonable, there are no other cheaper options. Even if you don't plan to use it for booking, use a comparison service to show current market costs for the transport you are choosing. BA should respond positively to customer service claims for the cost of onward transport where you can show that BA were unable to provide you timely assistance to rebook. You should do this bearing in mind what coverage you might have from your own travel insurance policy and whether your planned trip is salvageable or if it is entirely in vain and should be abandoned. Note that BA are not responsible for consequential costs beyond their initial contract for transport, but any insurance you may have could be.
​​​
BA have a duty of care under the UK successor to EU Regulation 261/2004 and based upon forum experience the following costs would usually be claimable from BA without any significant pushback.

£25 for reasonable meal/refreshment expenses (per adult per day)
2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required in a location a significant distance from your home address
£200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
£50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care as indicated above, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met, but having additional evidence or justification for costs going over these limits would be sensible. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amaged-baggage

Set your expectation for the turnaround time for any refunds, claims, etc. It could be more like weeks rather than days, consider this if cashflow is concern.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.
Print Wikipost

"Systems Down" 22-26 Feb 2022 [General discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
Some of the tech press are reporting a hardware failure to be the root of the problem….

https://thestack.technology/british-...issues-outage/
Tobias-UK and plunet like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ibbitsc
Some of the tech press are reporting a hardware failure to be the root of the problem….

Presumably it was “the weather” that damaged BA’s IT infrastructure then…
Dave_C, lhrsfo, ibbitsc and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

Many thanks for that keanejohn

Appreciate it.

I think I will delay my arrival until around 4pm rather than my originally planned 2pm or so.

Regards

Tbs
Just arrived at 1205 for a 1625. Staff on doors saying 2 hours before. However, the “red/orange” lifts (2 southern most blocks inside) we were told exempted Golds/First. Got there and no staff. This is far easier than coming in on departures level.
The _Banking_Scot, wrp96 and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by george77300
Just arrived at 1205 for a 1625. Staff on doors saying 2 hours before. However, the “red/orange” lifts (2 southern most blocks inside) we were told exempted Golds/First. Got there and no staff. This is far easier than coming in on departures level.
typically they patrol entry on the departures level so if you enter on the arrivals level or come up using the lifts direct from the tube/hex it may be avoided.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
typically they patrol entry on the departures level so if you enter on the arrivals level or come up using the lifts direct from the tube/hex it may be avoided.
They were blocking the northern most lift on arrivals level (by the tube) as well as all escalators blocked.
wrp96 and KARFA like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
Heathrow Night Flights table

it looks like delayed flights do NOT come out of the quota
Thanks. Ridiculous if there is no real limit of night flights because BA decides not to adequately maintain its core systems. Saving money for BA, putting the cost on everyone else.

That being said, I thought there was some sort of dispensation/approval required for delayed flights to depart during the night quota, however "extortionary events" means no real limits. Can't find anything online about it though!
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Don't worry folks, they've got someone on the case. Currently down at the data centre unplugging and replugging some wires.

choosethedrew, TPJ, wrp96 and 13 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

Just as well I spent £100 for the extra night at the hilton t4.
With a late departure no need to worry about a late check out.
Leisurely time and depart at your leisure after lunch
More points.
Normally don't have a late departure so this rarely occurs and if the room rate was gbp 200 as many central.london hotels are I would not have bothered with the extra night but 100 was imo reasonable.
Went for a nice short run along the footpath to Hatton Cross and back about 1.8 miles return and saw a lot of aircraft climb out on 09r but no ba short haul.
took a few pictures with my mobile phone ( digital key also)
Aim to get to lhr now about 1640 ( 4hrs prior) and try my luck.
many thanks and good luck to all who are travelling today.

Regards
tbs
SW7London, wrp96 and LCSinTexas like this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Feb 26, 2022 at 6:13 am
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ibbitsc

Surely BA not redundancy built in, seems unthinkable that a backup was not in place?? Afraid I do not believe this can be the cause, and if it is then extremely concerning...
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by ademanuele
Surely BA not redundancy built in, seems unthinkable that a backup was not in place?? Afraid I do not believe this can be the cause, and if it is then extremely concerning...
I also don’t understand why most BA tech failures seem to be so utterly catastrophic. Everything fell over last night from the front-end of the website and app, to the booking system and the Executive Club to the stand allocation system and the staff allocation/bussing system. Why is there a single point of failure that can bring down all those things?
SK, choosethedrew, lhrsfo and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Schwann
Don't worry folks, they've got someone on the case. Currently down at the data centre unplugging and replugging some wires.

OMG my OCD just kicked in. That cabling is a disgrace 🤣
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by sigma421
I also don’t understand why most BA tech failures seem to be so utterly catastrophic. Everything fell over last night from the front-end of the website and app, to the booking system and the Executive Club to the stand allocation system and the staff allocation/bussing system. Why is there a single point of failure that can bring down all those things?
It’s like some sort of domino effect. These systems have been cobbled together (badly obvs) over the years and are literally hanging on by a thread. One bit fails and it takes 10 other parts of the spider’s web with it. What I don’t understand is that they clearly don’t realise that the longer they leave it, the investment required to fix it keeps going up exponentially, so do nothing becomes the default position. Or they are so scared of trying to unpick the mess to fix it, they daren’t
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
It’s like some sort of domino effect. These systems have been cobbled together (badly obvs) over the years and are literally hanging on by a thread. One bit fails and it takes 10 other parts of the spider’s web with it. What I don’t understand is that they clearly don’t realise that the longer they leave it, the investment required to fix it keeps going up exponentially, so do nothing becomes the default position. Or they are so scared of trying to unpick the mess to fix it, they daren’t
I have long wondered what it would take to make BA take the plunge on finally making a proper investment into its IT infrastructure. Let’s hope that the silver lining of the current mess is that it results in long term improvements. Although I am not holding my breath…
Tiger_lily, lhrsfo and Alan T like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:31 am

Are the current system problems known to be affecting the verification of COVID documents?

We are flying back to the UK tomorrow. In the past our documents have been verified in minutes but we have been waiting >6hrs today.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
That’s enough Alex C photos for now !

Schwann’s post above put me in mind of the infamous Pink Panther doorbell cable scene when the ‘telephone engineer’ proudly declares “I ‘ave fixed your doorbell from ze ringing …… there is no charge” and later…. “Madame, it is my business to locate trouble”

RIP Peter Sellers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.