Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Systems Down" 22-26 Feb 2022 [General discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Because of the scale of the disruption resulting from an IT system outage, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers.

Your travel plans are probably in tatters, you should give BA a chance to fix things for you.

Firstly do not cancel or refund or credit to a voucher your ticket if this option exists as you effectively voluntarily cancel the contract for transportation with BA by doing so and hence end any right to claim for replacement transport, duty of care, or anything else.
​​​​​​
If BA.com is working, at least give it a go and see if Manage my Booking is giving you any sensible options. You don't have to take the option(s) presented if they do not meet your needs and you might be able to find better options yourself. However, not that by default BA will be only offering rebooking onto BA and any Joint-Ventre carriers and possible OneWorld partners. If there are no sensible options, document it (take a picture). Also try the BA app, it may work when the website doesn't, or vice versa. Take a screenshot of any errors you get when trying to log in or do anything reasonable.
Try calling the call centre. You probably won't get through in a sensible length of time, but document that you made several calls. Take a screenshot and save it.

If you have made reasonable attempts to contact BA and have not been able to do so, this now puts you in a strong position to organise your own onward travel arrangements, and to claim the difference from BA later. You need to act reasonably, choose travel arrangements that are similar where possible to what you had purchased from BA, and where possible you should document with photos or screen shots that the actions you are taking are reasonable, there are no other cheaper options. Even if you don't plan to use it for booking, use a comparison service to show current market costs for the transport you are choosing. BA should respond positively to customer service claims for the cost of onward transport where you can show that BA were unable to provide you timely assistance to rebook. You should do this bearing in mind what coverage you might have from your own travel insurance policy and whether your planned trip is salvageable or if it is entirely in vain and should be abandoned. Note that BA are not responsible for consequential costs beyond their initial contract for transport, but any insurance you may have could be.
​​​
BA have a duty of care under the UK successor to EU Regulation 261/2004 and based upon forum experience the following costs would usually be claimable from BA without any significant pushback.

£25 for reasonable meal/refreshment expenses (per adult per day)
2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required in a location a significant distance from your home address
£200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
£50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care as indicated above, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met, but having additional evidence or justification for costs going over these limits would be sensible. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amaged-baggage

Set your expectation for the turnaround time for any refunds, claims, etc. It could be more like weeks rather than days, consider this if cashflow is concern.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.
Print Wikipost

"Systems Down" 22-26 Feb 2022 [General discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by SxMan
Has anyone seen anything definitive about the cause of the IT collapse? Having spoken to my head of comms here, our money is on a fire suppression system somehow being activated and taking out all the hard disks – the very thing that brought down Channel 4 and other major broadcasters at the end of last year. When backups are located in the same facility, they are also hit.
I read on a news site yesterday, but cannot for the life of me find it (might have been the Guardian but can’t remember), that it was hardware. Again.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC
BBC News - British Airways passengers call airline 'woeful'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60545319

Frustrated British Airways passengers have been caught up in a second weekend of delays and cancellations.

BA has cancelled many flights following IT problems just a few days after huge disruption caused by Storm Eunice.
Families who faced long delays and lost bags when travelling to Italy last week have now endured more cancellations trying to get home.

Passengers said their experiences with the airline were "utterly disastrous" and "truly woeful". ​​​
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:55 am

All smooth this morning. T5 quiet, Verifly problem free, in the CCR in 15 mins.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
I read on a news site yesterday, but cannot for the life of me find it (might have been the Guardian but can’t remember), that it was hardware. Again.
Does anyone really believe this, hardware failure twice in a week!?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:25 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by plunet
BBC News - British Airways passengers call airline 'woeful'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60545319
It has been woeful. As usual, the crew onboard have been fantastic, and apologising for something that's out of their control (and impacts them as well). My afternoon yesterday resulted in:
- 3 hour delay on flight from Belfast to Heathrow (no announcements or communications from BA or handling agents at the airport until nearly boarding - just the delay getting longer with each update on the board)
- Club Europe cabin being condensed and CE pax put in middle seats again (as they did during the storms) - wholly unacceptable (I was moved into a middle seat - not fun for me or those either side of me)
- Afternoon tea catering for a service that eventually left Belfast at 6:15pm (due to late inbound aircraft)
- bus gate arrival at T5 and off via back stairs (so CE last to get off)
- <55 minutes to connect to onward Glasgow flight (last of the day, as the later flight was cancelled)
- 2 hour delay on Glasgow flight.
- Crew were brilliant on both flights

I was certainly not the worst affected by any stretch. The two ladies I was crammed in between on the flight had missed their 6pm flight to Aberdeen, and the later flight was cancelled, so they were facing a night in a hotel, and I could hear a number of others with similar issues. Disruptions from storms, volcanoes (even conflicts), I get - but this is yet another self-own by BA and their awful IT systems. Let's hope they sort it out once and for all, as this can't keep going on.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Departed about 20 minutes late from NAP yesterday and arrived around 10 minutes late.

CE cabin was packed in 3+3 in 4 rows, with only 2 BAEC Gold couples having retained the middle seat free. The CC was trying to do their best but there was obviously a lot of annoyance onboard.

Once landed there was a fairly long delay to get on the bus that took us to the terminal.. Immigration was packed but I would say moved fairly quickly, however the luggages only turned up on the carousel approximately 75 minutes after the plane had landed (at least the priority tagged bags were the very first).

there were numerous announcement that if the luggage did not contain urgent supply, you were invited to leave the airport, fill in a form, and they would deliver the bag to your house. I did not have urgent supply in the bag, but somehow lost any faith in them to then deliver my bag in a reasonable time (if at all) so only left T5 with my bag…

edit: to add to the experience, I only today received at 10:15am the email about the UK entry requirement for my upcoming flight (landed yesterday afternoon)
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by marcopizzaiuolo; Feb 28, 2022 at 3:28 am
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ademanuele
Does anyone really believe this, hardware failure twice in a week!?
Impossible to say without some better knowledge of the setup, but legacy airlines typically have a number of legacy systems and these will typically be the most complex maintain and make resilient. It's not an excuse, but an observation of the reality of the technical debt that is festering out there. In a similar vein, the legacy airlines are not unique here, legacy banks and their systems are typically in a similar situation, and for those of us in the UK we can see evidence of an increasing number of outages with banking systems impacting the legacy banks.

Last edited by plunet; Feb 28, 2022 at 4:48 am
Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Booked flights this morning, but the system gave me an error at the end of the process twice.

First booking was part Avios, second I changed my mind and used a voucher and cash.

Ive now received an email stating my voucher has been used and my Amex has been charged for both bookings.

I cannot access manage my booking to make any changes.

I cannot get through in the telephone I am told to use the broken system.

I cannot get Amex to cancel the transaction as it is still pending.

What joys.
Sealink and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
May be unrelated but lounge computer to scan BPs down in EDI today and a piece of paper to write down all entrants… unless Edinburgh has gone low-tech since I last flew out.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Not sure if it’s related to systems playing up, but received the mobile ‘gate open’ alert and ‘now boarding’ alerts via iPad for a flight we are not on this morning. We ARE flying tomorrow - but not on the flight number mentioned (754). Alerts like this led to a quick scramble to the app to ensure I hadn’t booked my flight for the wrong day, and most unwelcome !
adrianlondon, Silver Fox and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by guytp
May be unrelated but lounge computer to scan BPs down in EDI today and a piece of paper to write down all entrants… unless Edinburgh has gone low-tech since I last flew out.
It's not unrelated, it's part of the same outage. Although cancellations have reduced, everything (last night at least) is still being doing manually including aircraft loading and boarding - hence the colossal delays.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:57 am

So my flight that was cancelled on Saturday is now showing as being flown in MMB and now looks like everything is ok for that booking, including the hotel, transfers and return flight.

I am not sure if this is standard and if they have done this for anyone who might have made alternative arrangements i.e. to fly out there but for those that haven't, it could cause complications to move / refund it. Either way, i think it means I have to get on the phone to sort it
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Still can't get into BA.com today....

What an utter shambles
Silver Fox and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Still can't get into BA.com today....

What an utter shambles
Agreed. And yet... as soon as things clear up, the usual suspects will go right back to planning tier point runs.

I don't think the people who claim BA needs to get better actually have the will to hold them accountable for actual, demonstrable change.

Remember, this forums primary motto is: "BA's return to glory is just the next CEO change away!"

Regards
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu
Agreed. And yet... as soon as things clear up, the usual suspects will go right back to planning tier point runs.

I don't think the people who claim BA needs to get better actually have the will to hold them accountable for actual, demonstrable change.....

The TP run group are a tiny minority of BA's passengers and just by the very nature of being a TP run, it is hardly top dollar revenue for BA and frankly, with apologies to members of that group, the TP runners probably wouldn't be missed by BA.

I have been a supporter of BA for many years but everyone has their limit. I've submitted my first EC261 claim this weekend. I've had many qualifying delays before, but BA have always moved mountains to get me where I needed to be and I've never submitted a claim as a result, but this weekend's shambles was a step too far, so attitudes to loyalty do change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.