Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2022 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Wonderful instant karma for a DYKWIA at Gibraltar Airport today.

Setting the scene, slightly late departure so a bit of crowding around the gate, I'd spent over an hour in the lounge so left to stretch my legs. Saw the pre-queue queue and was toying with just letting it move down. Just then I heard the pre-boarding announcement for families with young children, of which there was a few. Straight after they called group 1.

I looked at the queue and there was just two parents with a child and an old couple, so figured I'd board now. Behind me was a middle aged bloke. The processing was a bit slow with the family, so another agent shouted "next please".

Before the couple in front of me, or myself could react, I heard a "Yes! Group 1!“ from behind me, and the bloke nipped out of our queue to the other agent.

I just rolled my eyes!

Anyway, as soon as that happened, the family got processed, the couple in front of me were scanned and suddenly it was me.

From the gate to the tarmac was a choice of stairs or escalators. The DYKWIA must've got delayed scanning as he was now behind the elderly couple on the escalators and couldn't get past them. I opted for the stairs and overtook them all. To add to the glorious karma, the family had taken the lift and were coming out on the ground, so Mr DYKWIA ended up behind the elderly couple and the family.

I did enjoy a chuckle.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
Cant stand these odious people
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Cant stand these odious people
I find it almost impossible to work out which one I dislike the most.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
I find it almost impossible to work out which one I dislike the most.
It sounded like a last minute trip. How on earth do they book themselves in 4 different classes using Avios without coordinating like a year in advance?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
It sounded like a last minute trip. How on earth do they book themselves in 4 different classes using Avios without coordinating like a year in advance?
Call me a cynic but I think that BA must have sorted it.

Especially as they are all so happy with it all, 98% over the moon with every aspect iirc

I'm far more likely to trust the likes of Paul Lucas on YouTube than this lot.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:10 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Perhaps this qualifies as a DYKWIA story... To set the scene, we are in F on a 789 (therefore 8 seats). Mr DYKWIA was in 1K and, as it happens, Mrs DYKWIA was in 2A.
Mr D pounced upon a chap who was booked into 1F and asked (in fairness, very politely) if it would be possible to swap with Mrs D over there in 2A in order that Mrs D could sit next to Mr D in row 1.

So far so good... except...

Mrs D had made her nest in 2A - pillows, blankets, amenity kit, you name it, all opened, sat on and crumpled. Then, discarded and took herself to the pristine sanctuary of 1F, to re-establish herself. Leaving poor old Mr 'Formerly 1F' staring at the mess that was now, apparently, his seat (amid the detritus of Mrs D's destructive power). Her bags were then brought to her by he cabin crew and re-stowed above 1F, still leaving a bewildered Mr 'Formerly 1F', trying to attract a cabin crew attention to provide him with some fresh linen.
This was eventually done and he settled in.
But...
As it happens, 2E was free for Mr D to move into to be next to his wife, in her original seat!
To add insult to injury, Mrs D proceeded to cough and splutter throughout the flight, passing her 'COVID-like symptoms' (She was very vocal about telling us it was NOT COVID) to me and my wife - having an impact on the first four days of our holiday.
wrp96, becks1, nilsfr69 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:56 am

Rather poor behaviour of Mrs D indeed... if someone were to take over my seat, I'd be sure to bring all my opened stuff to the new seat.

Then again your last statement made me question who the DYKWIA in your post is, if Mrs D's coughs and splutters on a flight would impact 4 days of your holiday...
RockyRobin and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Rather poor behaviour of Mrs D indeed... if someone were to take over my seat, I'd be sure to bring all my opened stuff to the new seat.

Then again your last statement made me question who the DYKWIA in your post is, if Mrs D's coughs and splutters on a flight would impact 4 days of your holiday...
I Wouldnt swap for that reason. Especially if there coughing 😭😭
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Call me a cynic but I think that BA must have sorted it.

Especially as they are all so happy with it all, 98% over the moon with every aspect iirc

I'm far more likely to trust the likes of Paul Lucas on YouTube than this lot.
Perhaps, but looking at this route in seatspy there's a November date and a handful of December dates where this would have been possible. I don't think it'd be insurmountable to have this pop up last minute.

Before the vid dropped Ben had the first class write up on TPG website where he rehashed the same old story that BA first is the world's best business. And listening to Maren in economy, who apparently normally flies with easyjet and Ryanair, I can see why she would be pleased with anything more than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. And club suites are pretty good. I don't find it inconceivable 4 people could have enjoyed their respective classes here.

Of course Paul Lucas, Noel Phillips etc fill a role, as does Sam Chui at the other end, whilst often being given incredible access. Where does TPG sit? Dunno, it's not very good at breaking news, but I do enjoy these comparison videos, and I'm not aware of many others being produced for the UK market so I think they're hitting that mark.
Tobias-UK, Cotumely and aircentaur like this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
Wonderful instant karma for a DYKWIA at Gibraltar Airport today.

Setting the scene, slightly late departure so a bit of crowding around the gate, I'd spent over an hour in the lounge so left to stretch my legs. Saw the pre-queue queue and was toying with just letting it move down. Just then I heard the pre-boarding announcement for families with young children, of which there was a few. Straight after they called group 1.

I looked at the queue and there was just two parents with a child and an old couple, so figured I'd board now. Behind me was a middle aged bloke. The processing was a bit slow with the family, so another agent shouted "next please".

Before the couple in front of me, or myself could react, I heard a "Yes! Group 1!“ from behind me, and the bloke nipped out of our queue to the other agent.

I just rolled my eyes!

Anyway, as soon as that happened, the family got processed, the couple in front of me were scanned and suddenly it was me.

From the gate to the tarmac was a choice of stairs or escalators. The DYKWIA must've got delayed scanning as he was now behind the elderly couple on the escalators and couldn't get past them. I opted for the stairs and overtook them all. To add to the glorious karma, the family had taken the lift and were coming out on the ground, so Mr DYKWIA ended up behind the elderly couple and the family.

I did enjoy a chuckle.
Do I detect a degree of schadenfreude in your story?
Old Oct 6, 2022, 7:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Talking

Originally Posted by higham44
That is a mandatory hallmark of reporting DYKWIAism - you know that's why we all read this topic, don't you?
Old Oct 6, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Of course. This was the human equivalent of being overtaken by an Audi, which then got stuck behind a car turning right!
janehoya, AnaTravel and m8_rotate like this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 1:18 pm

😑

This thread is the epitome of epicaricacy. Schadenfreude central. There are some genuine DYKWIA posts in the mix. Amusing, though. 😀
alex67500, crazy8534 and dougzz like this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
Of course. This was the human equivalent of being overtaken by an Audi, which then got stuck behind a car turning right!
Or undertaken by a BMW who then got stuck behind someone turning left
LancashireFlyer and m8_rotate like this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Or undertaken by a BMW who then got stuck behind someone turning left
or being narked when slow off the mark to take advantage of a new till-line opening at Aldi; but then get comfort from the smart Alec queue-jumpers getting held up as the assistant changes the till roll.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.