Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA at Manchester

MAN airport website for BA info (including security wait times): https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...itish-airways/

Terminal and check-in desks:

All BA flights depart and arrive at Terminal 3.

Departure:

Fast Track security is available, subject to usual BA rules. It works pretty well most of the time, but do check before you join the fast track lane if it's a single lane to avoid taking longer in fast track than in the normal lanes.

According to the airport, the following retail and food offerings are available in Terminal 3: World Duty Free, KFC, Lion & Antelope, Costa, WHSmith, Boots, The Nook, Kiosco and Pork & Pickle

Lounges:

The Escape Lounge in T3 is available for BA passengers. As with the previous arrangement at T3, we assume Escape will allow access along usual BA eligibility rules (class of travel and / or status), including 2 guests for GGL and Premier cardholders. The lounge is open from 04:00 and closes at 19:45 each day except Saturdays when it will close at 17:30.

Gates:

Flights typically depart from from Gate 142 or 143.

Boarding is generally prioritised by Groups.

Arrivals:

Flights land at Terminal 3. Travelex and WHSmith will be open in Terminal 3 Arrivals.

Flights tend to arrive at Gates 142 or 143, with an airbridge to the terminal. There is a flight of steps down to ground level once in the terminal.
Baggage collection is at Terminal 3
Print Wikipost

BA experience at Manchester

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:26 am

I wish BA would fly from Liverpool instead or as alternate.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
I agree, the airport has improved significantly. I sailed through security this morning (and enjoyed some good banter with the staff), though I suspect this was partly due to the low volume of traffic.

I still dislike the Escape Lounge, the staff are great but ambience nowhere near what I expect from a BA lounge.

My main gripe is actually with BA and the fact that the flights between MAN and LHR are (still) invariably late. BA1389 this morning left an hour late and once we arrived in London there was an issue with getting onto the gate and arrived 1.24pm (scheduled 12pm). Received the usual apologetic email from BA. I appreciate this issue has been discussed on numerous occasions but I am not seeing any improvement in the service...
Old Oct 27, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've still not been in the Escape lounge. Booked on the early flight some time next month, and assuming that doesn't get cancelled, will hopefully see it (given myself a 6hr or so buffer between that and my connection just in case I get rebooked on the 9:45am? flight or have to drive down)
Was going to fly down to LHR on Friday, but there's nothing after 3-4pm, trains are £102 return and it's cheaper to drive / park.

At least BA are boarding Group 1 by itself etc. at present. Was in the terminal the other day and the girl doing the announcement was reading something the length of War & Peace.....just went on and on and on.

Gates 142/143 were probably built back in the day that 3 people went on a plane rather than up to 197 these days.

Originally Posted by Krisz
Or perhaps I'm just reading incorrectly and because the airport has a solid roof and running water then it can score 38%
Judging by the buckets on the floor, and a partially collapsed ceiling up by gate 54, the roof isn't that solid. Running water when it rains, yes

Last edited by xenole; Oct 27, 2022 at 11:18 am
Old Oct 27, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Interesting comments. I gave up on BA and MAN some months ago and either don’t travel at all or take other routes (incl driving which isn’t my favourite activity)

I assume I’m in a minority to have just ceased using their services but I wonder how long things need to be better for (and for enough people to spread the word of improvements) for regular travellers who just gave up to return.

coincidentally I’m actually taking BA to MAN and back next week for the first time in ages. Hope the comments on here ring true.
cjb666 and ademanuele like this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford
I wish BA would fly from Liverpool instead or as alternate.
I'd like them to have decamped to LPL and DSA 6 months ago. Sadly we're stuck with it and the lesson for MAN management from all of this must be that there is literally no limit to how bad their operation can get and still attract passengers.

Very sad situation.

Recent experience:

Went through during September on a Sunday lunchtime.

Starts with crap trains on the way in; single 3-carriage unit on the way in to Manchester, rammed-full, with scuffles at stops as people try to cram themselves in. Lots of cancellations on the route to the airport and a rugby-scrum situation at boarding, with people worried they'll be left behind with the train too full for them to board. Probably the airport can't do much about this, but on the other hand I don't think there's any sign that they care - they'd rather you drove so they could fleece you for parking or drop-off fees instead of having to let you arrive unrobbed. The station has heavy building works going on, takes a long time to walk (no escalators) up the ramp. None of the moving walkways on the bridge from the railway station work, there is litter and at least one pigeon flying around in there, and the signage remains rubbish with arrows for departures pointing in 2 different directions at the end of the bridge.

Intemperate shouting from staff member "guarding" the entrance to the fast track security lane who refused to accept my BP was valid or that I was where I should be. I remain calm, refute him point-by-point, he continues to shout. Eventually his shouting attracts one of his colleagues, who admits my BP is valid but rebukes me for shouting. I'd done nothing but calmly argue my point.

30 minute wait for "Fast track" security, with nervous-looking staff trying to "manage" the queue by ordering people to move between scanners. Not many people waiting, but little throughput/movement. Manchester-centre-at-2200 vibe of menace and people spoiling-for-a-fight; security staff barking at people "take that out! you need to take your shoes off!" etc, but no signs or any kind of clear sober instruction about what is expected. Usual Manchester situation of most bags being sent to secondary screening.

Entire Emirates A380 crew having all their stuff picked-through finely. Their uniforms and hair are immaculate - everything around them is shabby and chaotic. A striking contrast.

Turned away from one lounge as "full" - it literally was, with people sitting on bags just inside the entrance. The other one fairly calm although food poor, and staff a bit grumpy.

Flight an hour late - not the airport's fault. Departure board, as usual, did not reflect the true state of the flight; "go to gate" shown when the aircraft hadn't left origin en-route to MAN - very much the airport's fault.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
It was 5 starlings in the T1-Train Station tunnel for a while, and then just 2. Did notice, one night 2-3 weeks ago, bits of what looked like bloodied feathers on the ground near the T1 side, and have only seen a single bird since then. Either they've shot it, whacked it with something, bird of prey (like the one they have at St. Pancras) or it got out.
Didn't see the remaining one at all last week, so no idea where that's gone. Probably Starling Heaven

There was a pigeon flying around T3 a little while ago, and a magpie the other day.

It's worse when the escalators from the railway station are switched off than the travellators. Bit of a climb if you don't use the lift.
The lifts themselves are so slow. The ones in T1 take forever.

Security wise, stopped twice recently as I mistakenly left my belt on. Couple of random pat downs, and once my bag was secondary checked as they got confused by a roll of labels.

The departure board thing is still going on in T1 and T3 (haven't been in T2). Final calls for Turkish when the plane hasn't landed and will be 40-60 mins before people board - always gets people running to the gate in a panic, ignoring the other 200 people sitting there.

Last edited by xenole; Oct 27, 2022 at 12:59 pm
Old Oct 27, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: GGL
Trying to get to Manchester tomorrow because my mother isnt 100%. I am in Europe so - hey why not bob to MAN to see her. Quotes 600gbp to do LHR MAN return. I can cope with the cost but then I read this which reminds me of the reality of MAN right now. I'd rather walk.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 2:41 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by strowger
I'd like them to have decamped to LPL and DSA 6 months ago.
hmmm.... DSA

I had an Aer Lingus flight to Dublin last week. 2.5 hours to check in (no bag drops). Not the airports fault, but Menzies who had only 1 person checking in (and having to do the Fastrack as well as checking documentation of people connecting to JFK and BOS) flights.

The normal security was about 30 minutes, so not too bad (first day of school holidays). No chance of getting into lounges with PP, so Pret for an hour.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA silver
MAN is the absolute pits. Have passed through several UK airports recently from INV to LHR and MAN by far the worst.
The people movers between station and terminal have been broken for years and sum the filthy place up. Management have just abdicated all responsibility and just take the money and run.
ademanuele likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 12:29 am

I’ve given up with MAN. It’s one of my local airports, but I’ve decided it’s “easier” to drive to Heathrow, about 2.5 hours, than fly from my local airport.
endoman, ademanuele and 321 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
I’ve given up with MAN. It’s one of my local airports, but I’ve decided it’s “easier” to drive to Heathrow, about 2.5 hours, than fly from my local airport.
Ditto, we took a Taxi to Heathrow from Derbyshire, as MAN simply doesn't work anymore.
ademanuele likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
I drive from NW England to LHR or LGW rather than brave MAN. It’s five hours with a break to stretch the legs and have a quick bite and it is sometimes longer (up to 7 hours) where I’ve encountered ridiculous traffic jams. However I see it as a better use of my time and money and a balm for my sanity.
Silver Fox and ademanuele like this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: A mere babe on: BAEC, AAdvantage, Virgin Flying Club. An adolescent with: Marriott Silver. Budget
Originally Posted by Jimbojumbo
I drive from NW England to LHR or LGW rather than brave MAN. It’s five hours with a break to stretch the legs and have a quick bite and it is sometimes longer (up to 7 hours) where I’ve encountered ridiculous traffic jams. However I see it as a better use of my time and money and a balm for my sanity.
I did just this for the first time in ages and was pleasantly surprised how relaxing it was. I expected my stress level to be on par with a BA MAN-LHR flight. Not so. Might be a tad more expensive but worth it for me. At least until MAN improves.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by watson10
I did just this for the first time in ages and was pleasantly surprised how relaxing it was. I expected my stress level to be on par with a BA MAN-LHR flight. Not so. Might be a tad more expensive but worth it for me. At least until MAN improves.
We did this last month for the first time to avoid MAN and felt much the same as you. We plan on doing the same for the three BA trips we have booked for next year. We drive down the evening before the flight to avoid the worst of the traffic and stay at a LGW or LHR hotel ready for our flight the next day.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by endoman
Ditto, we took a Taxi to Heathrow from Derbyshire, as MAN simply doesn't work anymore.
I'm based in Derbyshire too!. I find its actually faster to drive (usually, assuming the traffic is OK) than a 1 hour drive to MAN, arriving 2 hours earlier because its such an awful experience, for a delayed flight, that gets into LHR late.

Shame BA don't fly from BHX!
endoman and watson10 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.